Can a Muslim still like Dogs I know Muslims are not allowed to keep Dogs as pets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esperanza

revert of many years
Well Sister, I see you are from the "Middle East"...I sure am glad there is no human suffering going on in your part of the world.

Perhaps your time would be better spent helping your fellow Muslims, rather than telling people on the Internet how they should practice Islam.

Time to go feed my dogs...Salaam.

P.S. Please forgive me if I have offended you. Your name means "Hope" in Spanish. How interesting.

one im from the middle east,,, what does that mean???
two there is alot of suffering here now!!!!

three..IM NOT TELLING ANYONE HOW TO PRACTISE THEIR ISLAM

it was a general comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

esperanza

revert of many years
answer to anyone here::: i mnot a dog lover and not a dog hater.....the oppostite,,,,and ihave had people laugh at me because of my concern for animals here in the "middle east".....but this is definitely a religios thing..even though yes culturally peopel in east tend not to like dogs..and those in west do....but here were talking about the religios aspect

my mother christain ..in the uk..dislikes dogs..would never have them in house.... its a personal thing,,,,,

but were talking about the religous aspect....

may Allah forgive me for any mistakes...
and im never here to criticise someones Islam,.... i know ihave enough faults of my own to deal wiht first...................

rightpath_357

:salam2:,

There's truth to both sides here. Not being allowed to have dogs as pets (barring certain conditions) is religious. However, the ridiculous fear and disgust that accompanies a person when they see a dog or hear about one is very much cultural.

I'll give an example. In Pakistan, there are alot of superstitions related to dogs being filthy and dirty creatures. These superstitions were created in order to keep people away from dogs, since they're not permitted in Islam. However, as time went on, people forgot about the part where dogs simply are not allowed to be kept as pets (again barring certain conditions) and remembered the cultural superstitions, even more ignorant of why they originated in the first place. This led to unnecessary feelings of hatred and disgust. Plus these superstitions are often told to children and that's why there are many Pakistani children that scream bloody murder at the sight of a dog.

Unfortunately, to my parents' dismay I was not one of them :).

Nevertheless, these people take their hatred and disgust way too far. Yes we're not allowed to keep dogs as pets most of the time. But there's no reason to treat them like the plague as a result.

I love dogs just as much as the next person but my religion SO comes first. Just because a ruling isn't exactly my cup of tea doesn't mean I'm going to go onto denial about the whole thing, stick my head in the sand and alter Allah's Perfect Deen to fit my preferences.

Asalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Sister ShahnazZ- I *absolutely* LOVE your explanation!

When I was younger I saw that dogs were basically treated like they were evil. And it's true- I'm Pakistani and some of my relatives have a 'fear' of them :lol: It's not right. If we EVER see a dog in distress or danger, starvation or thirst, we MUST help it.

However, having dogs in the house for no reason is forbidden, I won't argue with that. Every time you touch your dog you will have to wash there seven times and change your clothes where they were touched. EVERY time. To keep in the state of purity.

I hope everyone understands- though they ARE very cute, friendly and loyal. I'd actually like to have a HUGE husky if they were permitted ;)

Salam :D

esperanza

revert of many years
Well Sister, I see you are from the "Middle East"...I sure am glad there is no human suffering going on in your part of the world.

Perhaps your time would be better spent helping your fellow Muslims, rather than telling people on the Internet how they should practice Islam.

Time to go feed my dogs...Salaam.

P.S. Please forgive me if I have offended you. Your name means "Hope" in Spanish. How interesting.

if you read carefully u will see one of my posts saYING how imporatant is kindness to animals in Islam,,,so please dont misunderstand me

esperanza

revert of many years
if you read carefully u will see one of my posts saYING how imporatant is kindness to animals in Islam,,,so please dont misunderstand me

and what do u mean by i sure am glad theres no suffering going on in the middle east.............dont uread the newsssssssssssssss

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
However, having dogs in the house for no reason is forbidden, I won't argue with that. Every time you touch your dog you will have to wash there seven times and change your clothes where they were touched. EVERY time. To keep in the state of purity.

:salam2: little sister,

Actually this is yet another incorrect aspect of desi culture. Don't worry, I was a victim of it myself until I actually educated myself on WHY dogs were impure. See, we don't have to wash seven times and change our clothes by merely TOUCHING a dog. We only have to do that if we come into contact with a WET dog. Desis are of the false assumption that we must wash if we touch a dog, irrespective of it's state. But that's not true.

So now I'll still touch a dog when I see it. But I won't worry about washing and changing unless it's soaking wet.

Here's a fatwa to explain:

Does touching a dog make one's hand naajis (impure)?

Is it haram or even undesireable for us to touch dogs? I have heard many Muslims say that dogs are dirty and Satan has spit on them. Also, that if we do touch a dog, we have to wash our hands several times. I haven't been able to find anything concerning this in the Qur'an, Hadith, or Islamic books. Please help.

Praise be to Allaah.
The answer to this question is twofold:

1 – The ruling on keeping a dog.

It is haraam to keep a dog unless it is for the purposes for which Islam permits keeping dogs. Whoever keeps a dog – except a dog for hunting or farming – his reward will decrease each day by one or two qeeraats.

It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: ‘Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog that is trained for hunting or a dog for herding livestock, his reward will decrease each day by two qeeraats.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5059; Muslim, 2941; according to another version narrated by them both, “one qeeraat”).

The word qeeraat refers to a large amount of reward; if a person’s reward decreases by one qeeraat, that means that he is sinning, for losing reward is like earning sin, both indicate that something is haraam because of the consequences it leads to.

The impurity of dogs is the greatest of animal impurities. The impurity of a dog can only be removed by washing seven times, one of which should be with earth. Even pigs, which the Qur’aan states are haraam and describes as an abomination (rijs) are not naajis (impure) to such an extent.

Dogs are impure and filthy, but unfortunately we find that some people are attracted to the ways of the kuffaar and their filthy habits, so they have started to keep dogs unnecessarily for no reason, keeping them, training them and cleaning them even though they can never be clean, even if they were washed with the waters of the ocean, because they are essentially impure.

Our advice to them is to repent to Allaah and to get the dogs out of their homes.

But in the case of dogs which are needed for hunting, farming and herding livestock, there is nothing wrong with that because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission for that. If you throw this dog out of your house, you will no longer be responsible for it, so do not keep it with you.

2 – The ruling on touching a dog

If you touch it when it is not wet, then your hand does not become impure, but if you touch it when it is wet, this means that the hand becomes impure, according to the opinion of many scholars, and the hand must be washed seven times, one of which should be with earth.

With regard to vessels, if a dog has licked a vessel (i.e., drunk from it), then the vessel must be washed seven times, one of which should be with earth, as was proven in al-Saheehayn and elsewhere, in the hadeeth narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him wash it seven times, one of which should be with earth.” It is better if the washing with earth be the first washing. And Allaah knows best.

See Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 11/246; Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/447.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Isra

aka Tree2008

As salamo alaikome

This is one of the major problems I have had with the boards is that the members dont usually read all of the responses given before posting their own which means repeated information or even misunderstanding of a certain post as in your case! I have had to repeat numerous times in this thread alone that BrotherInIslam7 posted hadith to prove this is a matter of religion and not culture!

This is a good reminder to us all.......please read the entire thread before commenting unless your comments pertain to just one post. Otherwise we have situations where feelings can be hurt or misunderstandings can develope! And as always.....Allah knows best!

wa salam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Plus, it isn't necessary for us to redo our wudu after we touch dogs either, or even come into contact with their saliva.

Touching dogs and their saliva does not nullify wudoo’

Praise be to Allaah.

Touching dogs or their saliva does not nullify wudoo’ because if tahaarah is done according to the rules of sharee’ah, nothing can nullify it except things for which there is evidence in sharee’ah. There is no such evidence that touching dogs or their saliva have this effect. It was not mentioned by the scholars among the things that nullify wudoo’.

Ibn Qudaamah mentioned in al-Mughni (1/264) things that nullify wudoo’, and he did not mention touching dogs or their saliva. Then he said: “These are all the things that nullify tahaarah, and it cannot be nullified by anything else according to the view of the majority of scholars…”

But there is no doubt that dogs’ saliva is very dirty and extremely naajis (impure), and it can only be removed by washing seven times, one of them with earth. There is a difference between this and something which nullifies tahaarah. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Isra

aka Tree2008
But there is no doubt that dogs’ saliva is very dirty and extremely naajis (impure), and it can only be removed by washing seven times, one of them with earth. There is a difference between this and something which nullifies tahaarah. And Allaah knows best.[/I]

Islam Q&A

As salamo alaikome

I am not questioning the sheikh's here but really this seems a bit contradictory to me since wudu is about purity and they clearly state that the dogs saliva is impure! I dont understand why you would not need to repeat wudu in the case that something (anything) impure touches you? Now Im confused! :confused:

wa salam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Sister, there are many impurities that a Muslim may come into contact with in the world, but there are only some that nullify one's wudu (I'm guessing based on degree of severity). As the sheikh states, although a dog's saliva is impure, it isn't one of the impurities stated that nullify one's wudu and as a result, there's no need for one to assume their wudu has been broken. He even stated there's a difference between washing seven times to remove the impurity and the nullification of tahaarah.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sister, there are many impurities that a Muslim may come into contact with in the world, but there are only some that nullify one's wudu (I'm guessing based on degree of severity). As the sheikh states, although a dog's saliva is impure, it isn't one of the impurities stated that nullify one's wudu and as a result, there's no need for one to assume their wudu has been broken. He even stated there's a difference between washing seven times to remove the impurity and the nullification of tahaarah.

As salamo alaikome

Yes after further thought youre right! I just remembered that I read about wudu being more of a ritual cleansing rather than to get the body clean. I remember it saying something like "if wudu was to cleanse the body it would have called for cleaning of the genital area as well which it does not" so that makes sense if you think about it in that way.

I wasnt actually questioning the sheikh's wisdom but wondering how something impure would not erase wudu. I understand now. Thanks sister.

wa salam

esperanza

revert of many years
As salamo alaikome

This is one of the major problems I have had with the boards is that the members dont usually read all of the responses given before posting their own which means repeated information or even misunderstanding of a certain post as in your case! I have had to repeat numerous times in this thread alone that BrotherInIslam7 posted hadith to prove this is a matter of religion and not culture!

This is a good reminder to us all.......please read the entire thread before commenting unless your comments pertain to just one post. Otherwise we have situations where feelings can be hurt or misunderstandings can develope! And as always.....Allah knows best!

wa salam

your right ..thank you

dunno

I myself do not own a dog, I own cats.

Truthseeker: I have noticed a lot of the questions you ask are up to the personal feelings of a person. So the answers you get will be very vague. Like...can we keep dogs, can we have Non-Muslim friends, etc.

I know Muslims who own dogs, I know Muslims who think its haraam to own dogs, I know muslims who think its haraam to own ANY pet no matter what type.

:salam2:
Muslims think it is haram to own any pet no matter type?:astag:
Abu Hurirah is one of the best Sahabah and the most Sahabi who narrated hadiths of th prophet peace be upon him. He owned a cat and loved dearly, to the point where the prophet started calling him Abu hurirah or in Arabic the father of the cat. Saying something is haram which the prophet CLEARLY has deemed to be hala is very dangerous. May allah guide them.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
~May Allah swt help and guide all muslim~Amin!

Can a Muslim still like Dogs I know Muslims are not allowed to keep Dogs as pets but speaking for myself there are many kinds of Animals that are wild that I would not want as a pet but I still like I like wild Animals but I don't think it is right to keep them in Zoos I like Cats but I would never have a Cat as a pet or any kind of Animal in my home but I still love Animals they were created by God too right the reason Im asking this is because some Non Muslims seem to think that Muslims dislike or even hate Dogs my understanding is that Muslims can use Dogs for Farming Hunting and as a Guard Dog my favorite kind of Dog is a German Shepherd Dog but I would never have one for a pet ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

~~~
Not all dogs are ugly looking i admit some do have cuteness in them and if you compare with pig i think dogs look better but to think again when you watch the movie 'babe' it will keep you wonder :rolleyes:

Masha'allah!
Allahu Akbar!

So,
No matter how cute and nice to look at,
Pig and Dog will not bring good health to human altogether.
As Muslim,
we have to know our distance.
What to do and what to not!

~May Allah swt help and guide all muslim~Amin!

╠╣█─▀▀▀▀▀─█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█─█╠╣
╠╣█─▀─▀─▀▀▀─█───▀───────▀▀▀╠╣
╠╣█─█──▀──█─█─█─█▀▀▀█─█▀█─█╠╣
╠╣█─▀▀▀▀▀▀▀─▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀─█╠╣
╠╣▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀──▀▀▀╠╣
╠╚╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╦╝╣
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝
Ramadhan Kariim Al Mubarak To
All My Family In Islam.
Thank you,
Take Care!
~Wassalam.

Shak78

I am a dog person, I love dogs but know I can not have one. My in-laws have a Golden Retriever that is there when we visit, like today. She is a good dog, plays with my son and endures him chasing her around the house until she hides when she has had enough of him. I will pet her from time to time but usually I just tell her she is a good girl and that is it. It is hard to find a place to pray there because Molly (the dog) is allowed and has been in every room so her hair is everywhere. I would take a dog over a cat every time.

Ershad

Animals and Islam

Assalamu Alaikkum,

Here is my two cents. I am not going repeat the same thing because everyone here seems to know that Islam has forbidden keeping dogs except guard dogs and hunting dogs. But, I would like to give a different perspective to it as I am also a student of science. The senses of a dog are different from human beings ( so is for lot other animals). The dog is nearly color blind but it has very good vision in night, ability to see far objects better than human beings. They also have ability to hear sounds that human beings can't. You might have heard about the dog's whistle. Also, they have a sharp sense of smell. All these attributes help them see Jinns and angels and what we believe as "Al-Ghaib" (The unknown and the unseen). The dogs bark at these Jinns and angels when they see them, which drives them away. Angels think they are not welcome in the house. This is why I assume angels don't enter the homes with dogs.

Similarly there are many animals in the category. Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger as saying. When you listen to the crowing of the cock, ask Allah for His favor as it sees Angels and when you listen to the braying of the donkey, seek refuge in Allah from the Satan for it sees Satan.

However, Islam doesn't prohibit pets or advocate hate towards animals. In two separate hadiths narrated by Abu Hurayrah (the cat-loving Companion), Prophet Muhammad (SAW) told his Companions of the virtue of saving the life of a dog by giving it water and quenching its thirst: one referred to was a man who was blessed by Allah for giving water to a thirsty dog. The other was a prostitute, who filled her shoe with water and gave it to a dog that was lolling its tongue in thirst. For this deed she was granted the ultimate reward: eternal Paradise. [source : IslamAwareness.net].

There are many reports of Prophet Muhammad (SAW)'s love for cats resulting in their historical acceptance among Muslims. Cats were very common among the people during the time of the Prophet, and he said, “They (cats) are not impure and they intermingle with you.” The cat is such a clean animal that according to authentic narrations one may make ablution for Prayer with the same water that a cat drank from. [source : IslamAwareness.net].

Also, Qur'an has instruction on how to treat an animal and take care of it. And the Prophet (SAW) has told us of a woman who went to Hell because of her neglect of a cat which she detained and it died of hunger; she did not feed it or let it go and eat of the vermin of the earth.

I think, from think we can get a clear picture of it and also, it makes perfect sense.

Allah Knows the best.

Regards,

Ershad

P.S. By the way, I am a cat lover.

Isra

aka Tree2008
The dogs bark at these Jinns and angels when they see them, which drives them away. Angels think they are not welcome in the house. This is why I assume angels don't enter the homes with dogs.

Wa alaikome salam

This actually made sense to me! I never thought about it that way to be honest! I thought the reason that angels wont enter the house where there is a dog is because the animal is filthy. Same reason angels wont enter the bathroom even if its kept so clean you could eat off the floor! Its still a filthy place where filth goes!

Brother is this your scientific opinion about the dog situation or do you have proof thats the reason?

It actually makes sense but we should have proof before accepting it as part of Islam otherwise it would be considered innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.