Can a Muslim still like Dogs I know Muslims are not allowed to keep Dogs as pets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthseeker63

Can a Muslim still like Dogs I know Muslims are not allowed to keep Dogs as pets but speaking for myself there are many kinds of Animals that are wild that I would not want as a pet but I still like I like wild Animals but I don't think it is right to keep them in Zoos I like Cats but I would never have a Cat as a pet or any kind of Animal in my home but I still love Animals they were created by God too right the reason Im asking this is because some Non Muslims seem to think that Muslims dislike or even hate Dogs my understanding is that Muslims can use Dogs for Farming Hunting and as a Guard Dog my favorite kind of Dog is a German Shepherd Dog but I would never have one for a pet ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

Just a Guy

Reinventing Myself
I love dogs. I have always loved dogs. I will always love dogs.

So my answer is yes, a Muslim can still like dogs.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I myself do not own a dog, I own cats.

Truthseeker: I have noticed a lot of the questions you ask are up to the personal feelings of a person. So the answers you get will be very vague. Like...can we keep dogs, can we have Non-Muslim friends, etc.

I know Muslims who own dogs, I know Muslims who think its haraam to own dogs, I know muslims who think its haraam to own ANY pet no matter what type.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
I love dogs as well to the point where many other Muslims think I'm strange. I've also often lamented on not being allowed to have one as a pet.

But then I remember that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala is far greater in His Wisdom than I and He has prohibited them for a good reason.

Plus, at least we've still got cats. For many a Muslim, when you go to their house, it's almost as if they're trying to make up for the lack of a dog with tons of cats :)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Liking Dogs isn't really the concern in Islaam. I don't see why you can't like dogs without keeping them. The concern is keeping dogs as pets.

Using them for hunting and as Guard dogs is fine. But for certain reasons Muslims are not allowed to keep dogs inside their houses.

Seeker-of-truth

eww I think of dogs as slobbery beasts who lick peoples faces.. get a cat bro they are so cool, i got 1 and it is so nice. why do u like dogs anyway? I heard that they have a substance mixed in their saliva that is more disguting that their faeces (poo) then imagine when it licks ur face. It is a dirty animal and you should not keep 1. I read a hadith somewhere where it says 1 qiraat is removed from your reward for each day you keep a dog, and also another hadith where angel Gibrael promises to meet Muhammad SAW at his home at a certain time. When the time came Muhammad SAW awaited a visit from the Angel but he did not arrive at the expected time.

It is by the wisdom of Allaah that like calls to like and evil calls to evil. It is said that the kaafirs, Jews, Christians and communists in the east and the west all keep dogs, Allaah forbid. Each one takes his dog with him and cleans it every day with soap and other cleansing agents. But even if he were to clean it with the water of all the seas in the world and all the soap in the world, it would never become pure! Because its impurity is inherent, and inherent impurity cannot be cleansed except by destroying it and erasing it altogether.

It is a major sin to keep a dog

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Muslim (2978) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog that is not a dog for hunting, herding livestock or farming, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.”

Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

What is the ruling on raising dogs in the house?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It is not permissible for a Muslim to keep a dog, unless he needs this dog for hunting, guarding livestock or guarding crops.

Al-Bukhaari (2145) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, a qiraat from his good deeds will be deducted every day, except a dog for farming or herding livestock.”

Muslim (2978) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog that is not a dog for hunting, herding livestock or farming, two qiraats will be deducted from his reward each day.”

Muslim (2943) narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever keeps a dog, except a dog for herding livestock or a dog for hunting, a qiraat will be deducted from his good deeds each day.” ‘Abd-Allaah said: Abu Hurayrah said: Or a dog for farming.

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: This hadeeth shows that it is permissible to keep a dog for hunting and herding livestock, and also for farming.

Ibn Maajah (3640) narrated from ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels do not enter a house in which there is a dog or an image.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah.

These ahaadeeth indicate that it is haraam to keep a dog, except for those which were exempted by the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The scholars differed as to how to reconcile between the reports which speak of one qiraat being deducted and those which speak of two qiraats being deducted.

It was said that two qiraats will be deducted if the dog is more harmful and one qiraat will be deducted if it is less so.

And it was said that that at first the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that one qiraat would be deducted, then the punishment was increased after that, so he said that two qiraats would be deducted in order to put people off from keeping dogs even more.

The qiraat is an amount that is known to Allaah, may He be exalted, and what is meant is that some of the reward for a person’s good deeds will be deducted.

See Sharh Muslim by al-Nawawi, 10/342; Fath al-Baari, 5/9

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in Sharh Riyaadh al-Saaliheen, 4/241:

With regard to keeping dogs, this is haraam and is in fact a major sin, because the one who keeps a dog, except those for which an exception has been made, will have two qiraats deducted from his reward every day.

It is by the wisdom of Allaah that like calls to like and evil calls to evil. It is said that the kaafirs, Jews, Christians and communists in the east and the west all keep dogs, Allaah forbid. Each one takes his dog with him and cleans it every day with soap and other cleansing agents. But even if he were to clean it with the water of all the seas in the world and all the soap in the world, it would never become pure! Because its impurity is inherent, and inherent impurity cannot be cleansed except by destroying it and erasing it altogether.

But this is by the wisdom of Allaah, and the wisdom of Allaah is that like calls to like and evil calls to Shaytaan because this kufr of theirs is by the inspiration of the Shaytaan and the command of the Shaytaan, for the Shaytaan enjoins evil, immorality, kufr and misguidance. So they are slaves to the Shaytaan and to their whims and desires, and they are also evil and love vile things. We ask Allaah to guide us and them. End quote.

Secondly:

Is it permissible to keep dogs to guard houses?

Answer:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made only three exceptions to the prohibition on keeping dogs: hunting, guarding livestock and guarding crops.

Some scholars are of the view that it is not permissible to keep a dog for any reason other than these three. Others are of the view that it is permissible to draw analogies between these three and similar or more likely cases, such as guarding houses, because if it is permissible to keep dogs to guard livestock and crops, it is more appropriate that it should be permissible to keep dogs to guard houses.

Al-Nawawi said in Sharh Muslim (10/340):

Is it permissible to keep a dog to guard houses, alleys and the like? There are two points of view. The first is that it is not permissible, because of the apparent meaning of the ahaadeeth, which clearly state that keeping dogs is forbidden except for farming, hunting and herding. The more correct view is that it is permissible, by analogy with those three cases, knowing that the reason that is understood from the ahaadeeth is necessity. End quote.

The view that was classed as saheeh by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), that keeping a dog to guard the house is permissible, was also classed as saheeh by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) in Sharh Saheeh Muslim. He said:

The correct view is that it is permissible to keep a dog to guard the house, because if it is permissible to keep a dog in order to benefit from it, as in the case of hunting, it is more appropriate that one be allowed to keep a dog in order to ward off harm and protect oneself.

And Allah knows best.

Link : http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/69777/

esperanza

revert of many years
one of the parts of being muslim is beibng kind to animals,,,all animals...but keeping a dog in the house is unclean,,,,,i too love dogs always did..but know that icant have one in the house,,,,remmeber a prostitute was rewarded by her kindness vto an animal,,and there is the famous story of a man gave a do water to drink ..and will be rewarded for that

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Several things

1. There is a story about a seeing-eye dog and a Muslim. They even allow the dog on the masjid compound. This might be in England. ( google it; in the past five years or so.).

2. It was not the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, that had issues with dogs. It was a companion who had fear.

3. Dogs make excellent security. Dogs are used on farms. The reasoning is simple. Do not spoil a dog...you know those poor poor poodles and what those crazy women do to them. Domestic an animal but allow it to serve its purpose. Who wants a spoiled anything. A child, a wife, a husband?

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Liking a dog and owning a dog are two separate things. I think Islam is very clear on this and the other brothers and sisters have posted really good proofs according to Islam.

One of the first things I heard when I became a revert is "angels will not enter a house where there is a dog" that says it all I think.

Wa salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, sister. It is one of the things we hear.

Yet, in the Quran there is Sura 18.

It makes sense that the companion had fear of dogs. I need to dig this up. In several hadeeths we hear of dogs being in the masjid as people prayed.

Think, a blind person with a seeing-eye dog would need to keep the dog in the house. Why would we wish for him to be bereft of the visit of angels.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalaam walaikum,

Yes, sister. It is one of the things we hear.

Yet, in the Quran there is Sura 18.

It makes sense that the companion had fear of dogs. I need to dig this up. In several hadeeths we hear of dogs being in the masjid as people prayed.

Think, a blind person with a seeing-eye dog would need to keep the dog in the house. Why would we wish for him to be bereft of the visit of angels.

Wa alaikome salam

Sister Im pretty sure that is not what our beloved Prophet (SAW) had in mind when he was giving his advice about not owning a dog. In fact he made special concessions which have been mentioned above by the other brothers and sisters.

Owning a dog for a real necessity such as a seeing eye dog is a completely different thing than having one as a pet. I think everyone can agree that most seeing eye dogs are very well trained animals and not meant to be pets.
Its a whole different situation and there is no comparison in this case.

Wa salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I wrote in the response that a companion of the Prophet, may the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him, had a phobia of dogs. Much of the hadeeths have been attributed to this companion.

There is still discussion.

The Youths of the Cave had a dog and much has been discussed about them.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

Several things

1. There is a story about a seeing-eye dog and a Muslim. They even allow the dog on the masjid compound. This might be in England. ( google it; in the past five years or so.).

2. It was not the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, that had issues with dogs. It was a companion who had fear.

3. Dogs make excellent security. Dogs are used on farms. The reasoning is simple. Do not spoil a dog...you know those poor poor poodles and what those crazy women do to them. Domestic an animal but allow it to serve its purpose. Who wants a spoiled anything. A child, a wife, a husband?

Wa alaykum salam

My dear aunt, please I would like to see that points be backed up with some Hadith, especially with things that many of us have not heard before. Here I am mentioning Point Number 2. Jazak Allah khayr

May Allah accept our Fasts and good deeds, and put us on the Right way.

Personally, I would not keep a dog in the home, and most probably not as a guard dog. - The only reason dogs are not "allowed" is due to us having to stay in constant ritual purity, for our prayers etc. Some people argue that dogs are not dirty, I would disagree. Anyway, that which is stated in Sahih Hadith comes first. We should stick to that, rather than our own opinions and emotions. - We should steer clear of the unfortunate circumstances which can crop up via our enemy, the Shaitan, when we begin to rationalise our own thoughts above that of clear evidences. May Allah save us from that ! Amin.

So, I dont "hate" dogs. Its important to help them, along with any creature if we see one injured or in distress. Taking them into your home to care is a step too far. - Best thing is to contact the nearest animal protection centre.

I have cared for all types animals, stray cats, even a small mouse... which my father ran over with lawn mower.. (oops).. frog, goat... I like animals.. just give them due distance ;)

I am fond of kittens. One time, every morning for Fajr a kitten would follow me to the Masjid ! ( in Amman, Jordan) . It would run in front of me, and then turn around and meow.... so i would walk around it.. and again it would run in front of me, and stop, turn around and meow.. So cute.. Very intelligent kitten mashaAllah.. ( and there are thousands of stray cats here, every bin has one, but this is special one. ) Whats strange is, I am the only person it followed for those few days.

It followed me right into the masjid... and Salah was already being done. It totally had fun disturbing the people running between legs and in front of first row.. (its Middle East, they hardly get a front row for fajr)

In the end, the Imam made a little cardboard box home for him at the step of the Masjid.. and in it the kitten laid to rest and was given food.

Wasalam

esperanza

revert of many years
we have a stray kitten wandered into our garden..one of the street cats..she is paralysed in one leg..nothing can be done..but she is now happy and healthy jumping about after we started feeding her,,,and the other night sat scratching at the door when we had suhoor...

xAllahKnowsBestx

I am fond of kittens. One time, every morning for Fajr a kitten would follow me to the Masjid ! ( in Amman, Jordan) . It would run in front of me, and then turn around and meow.... so i would walk around it.. and again it would run in front of me, and stop, turn around and meow.. So cute.. Very intelligent kitten mashaAllah.. ( and there are thousands of stray cats here, every bin has one, but this is special one. ) Whats strange is, I am the only person it followed for those few days.

Masha'Allaah, cats are so amazing. I had a cat for about 3-4 years. Everyday she'd "walk me" to the end of road in the morning so I could wait for my school bus to get there. And she loved my mother. She would literally follow my mother to the corner store, wait until she was done getting the stuff, and walk her back home.. Like a bodyguard, lol.

Since people are talking about cats, I have a quick question: Is it haram to *buy* a pet? I read somewhere that it's haram to pay and buy a pet, but you're supposed to adopt them or whatever. I really wanna get a kitten, so I'd appreciate it if someone can answer. Thanks.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
As-salam 'alaikum warahamtu-llah

if you find logic and then to believe, you'll never have the correct faith and that may lead you to disbelieve.

if you believe and then find logic, that will make firm you in belief.

what logic one can show for what reason we do hajj, what is the science? why we gather at mujdhalifa, mika , why make tawaf of ka'ba? what logic you get?

one of our important part of faith is to believe in ghaib, surah Al-Bakara verse 3.
who wants to be muttaqeen, they have to believe in ghaib.

and if you don't then your faith is in vain, because in what ground your faith is standing, because we haven't seen Jannah and jahannam, so for what reason we are resisting ourselves from evil and trying to do good deeds.

do not try to find logic what is ordained, otherwise we'll get lost.

may Allah save the Ummah from the fitnah of mahya wal mamat

wassalam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I love dogs as well to the point where many other Muslims think I'm strange. I've also often lamented on not being allowed to have one as a pet.

But then I remember that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala is far greater in His Wisdom than I and He has prohibited them for a good reason.

Plus, at least we've still got cats. For many a Muslim, when you go to their house, it's almost as if they're trying to make up for the lack of a dog with tons of cats :)

Although I do like dogs, cats are superior to dogs ;)

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatu

Maa shaa`Allah lots of cat lovers here I had 8 cats currently only 1 now. Every one in my family has a cat now they are all related to my cat as we gave away the kittens.

Whenever my mother prays salaah the cat comes and sits on the prayer rug, I had one cat that gave us a hard time it used to open the refrigerator when no one was around and eat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.