North Koreans weeping over the death of Kim Il Sung

Kakorot

:salam2:

These people are serious btw.

[yt]pSWN6Qj98Iw[/yt]

They remind me of a certain Muslim sect, rofl.

kayleigh

Please don't laugh at something like this. They were raised in a cult-like atmosphere where they believed he was a god or their father (the male student crying out near the beginning of the video is calling him "father"). If you were raised in that environment, you'd be doing the exact same thing. There is nothing to be gained by making fun of those poor people.

It's also very possible that those people were putting on an exaggerated show for government officials.

Edit - if this is for Jongil and not Ilsung, then you have to understand that, while they didn't fare well under Jongil, now that he's dead things are even more dangerous and uncertain. They face imminent starvation and hardship and possibly war. That alone would be enough to make me cry.

Kakorot

I wasn't making fun of them and I'm aware many go through hardships.

It's just the way they were howling, weeping etc. and on their knees (almost in sajdah position, as if they worship him), which I think is where they were overreacting.

kayleigh

Much of the crying is probably over-exaggerated.

And yes, the way they bow is similar to the way we pray. It is something that Koreans do during someone's funeral or memorial. It is also done during ceremonies that they do on the anniversary of one's death or when you visit a grave to pay your respects. I think it has its roots in Buddhism (not 100% sure), but I think Koreans of different faiths do this tradition. Maybe other Asians may do it too... not sure. It's very common.

Hatty

I may understand the Korean's reaction in a way. They have lived in a closed environment and fed information only from their own government and they are not Muslims. So they do not have an ideology to guide them, like us Muslims.

But what I do not understand till now, that Gaddafi had some blind supporters in Libya and they are Muslims. This is what drives me crazy - a Libyan who is a Muslim and supported Gaddafi?

kayleigh

Astaghfirullah are they making some kind of sujud to that taghut?

I guess you could look at it like that... it's just something you do to the deceased to show your respect for them. They don't worship the dead like gods. You can't really blame them for it. They aren't Muslim, so in their beliefs and tradition, it isn't wrong.

Shak78

Their grief is two fold, I am sure there are many North Koreans' who are really that upset he is dead as they have been raised to believe he is a god. They also know if they do not show enough grief there are people watching and they could end up at a labor camp, the ruling elite know if NK implodes and collapses they are in big trouble. In my paper on NK I spent three pages on how they are brainwashed from cradle to grave on stories of their leaders.