Reality of Jahannam

runayrus

Yearning Slave
:salam2:

Easy Entrance: “Paradise is surrounded by difficulties and Fire is surrounded by temptations” [Bukhari].

Eternal: "O Jannatis, now there will be no death; O Jahannamis now there will be no death; On hearing this call , the Jannatis will be delighted and the Jahanamis will become more depressed." [Bukhari]

Depth: "If a rock is dropped into Jahannam, it will remain plummeting for 70 years before touching the pith of Jahannam". [Muslim]

4 Walls: "Four walls surround Jahannam. The width of each wall is a walking distance of 40 years".

7 Gates: "Jahannam has seven gates; one of them is for the one who unsheathes a sword against my Ummah." [Mishkat]

Atmosphere: “Jahannam was heated for a thousand years and its fire turned red; It was then heated for another thousand years and it became white; it was again heated for another thousand years and it turned black. At present, Jahannam is pitch black and dark." [Tirmidhi] "The fire in which one will burn is the 70th part of the Fire of Jahannam.” [Muslim]

Breath: "Once Jahannam complained to Allah Ta'ala against the increasing heat because one portion was eating into another. Then the Rabb of the Worlds allowed it to have two breaths -- one during summer and another during winter. Therefore the heat you feel is the effect of the heave of Jahannam (with it the breath is taken out) and similarly, the rigid cold you experience is the effect of the breath (taken in). [Bukhari]

7 Layers: Ali ibn Abi Talib (ra) has said that the gates of Jahannam are one upon each other. This denotes that Jahannam has layers. "The Hypocrites will be in the lowest depths of the Fire." [Qur'an 4:145].

Note: There is no clear or authentic report regarding the following layers, however some scholars have come up with different names for the Hell Fire. Some say it divides the inmates of Hell others say it is the same Hell described in different ways for emphasis.

Jaheem: The shallowest of the Hells. It is for the Muslim sinners
Jahannam: It is for the Mushrikin and the polytheists
Sa'ir: It is for the Fire worshippers (Magian)
Saqar: It is for those of the Atheist (Mulhidun) and rejecters of Creator
Nata: Also known as Ladha, it is for the Jews (Yahudi)
Hawiya: It is for the Christians (Nasirin)
Hutama: The deepest level of the Hells. It is for the Hypocrites (Munafiqin)

Mufassirin al-Qurtubi says, "This topic indicates that the kufr of the person who simply disbelieves is not like the kufr of a person who oppresses, disbelieves, rebels and disobeys. There is no doubt that the kuffaar will suffer different levels of punishment in hell, as is known from Qur'aan and Sunnah. We know for certain that the punishment of those who oppressed and killed the Prophets and Muslims, and spread corruption and disbelief on earth, will not be the same as the punishment of those who simply disbelieved, but treated the Prophets and Muslims well. Do you not see Abu Taalib, how the Prophet (saws) will bring him up to a shallow level of Hell, because he helped him, protected him and treated him well? The hadith narrated by Muslim from Samurah may be interpreted as referring to the kuffaar, as there is a hadith about Abu Taalib, or it may be interpreted as eferring to those monotheists who will be punished". [at-Tadhkirah]

Fuel: "Verily you, (Unbelievers) and the (false) gods that you worship besides Allah, are (but) fuel for Jahannam! To it will you (surely) come!" [Qur'an 21: 98] "O Muslims! Save yourselves and your families from the Fire whose fuel is men and stones." [Qur'an 66: 6]

Ibn Mas'ud (ra) explained; "Stones, which are the fuel of Jahannam, are made of sulphur (brimstone) which Allah Ta'ala created in the nearest heaven on the day heaven and earth were created." [Hakim]

Types of Punishments

Example;

Creatures: "Verily, there are long-necked camel-like snakes in Jahannam. If anyone of these smites a Jahanami , he will feel pain for 40 years….Verily, there are donkey size scorpions in Jahannam. If anyone of these stings a Jahanami , he will feel pain for 40 years." [Ahmad] "On the Day of Resurrection, a neck will come out from Jahannam, having two eyes, two ears and one tongue to see, hear and speak. It will say that it has been designated for three types of persons: a. on every rebellious and stubborn one; b. on everyone who made an associate with Allah; and c. on the painter of a picture. [Tirmidhi]

Food: “Boiling water will be poured on their heads and it would pierce their skulls until it reaches their stomachs; this will make their guts melt and go down to their feet, then everything would be returned to its original condition again” [Ahmad]. “Indeed the tree of Zaqqum, is the food for the sinful. Like murky oil, it boils within bellies. Like the boiling of scalding water” (Ad-Dukhaan: 43-46). "The dwellers of Jahannam will experience such intense hunger, that this alone be equal to the terrible torment which will be rendered . Then they will seek for food and they will be given food that will stick to the throat (i.e. it will neither go in nor come out.)" [Mishkat]

Iron and Chains: "In addition there will be rods of Iron (to punish) them. Every time they wish to get away therefrom, due to anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said). "Taste you the Chastisement of Burning!" [Qur'an 22:21-22]. "If the rod of iron is placed on the ground, all men and jinn put together will not lift it." [Ahmad] "But soon shall they know, when the yokes (shall be) round their necks, and the chains; they shall be dragged along, in the boiling stinging fluid; then in the Fire shall they be burned." [Qur’an 14:50]

Garments: "Their garments of pitch, and their faces covered with Fire." [Qur’an 14:50] According to Ibn Abbas (ra) 'qateran' is melted brass. Jahannamis will be made to wear this dress which is extremely hot. [Ibn Kathir]

Punishment on the bodily parts: "The Fire will burn their faces, and they will grin therein , with their lips displaced." [Qur’an] “The dwellers of Hell will cry so much that ships can sail in their tears, and their tears will be of blood” [Hakim]. "Verily the tongue of the Unbelievers will be pulled out up to one or two 'fersakh' (three miles)and the people will walk over it." "The distance between two shoulders of an Unbeliever will be so wide that it will take three days if a mount covers it rapidly; his jaw-tooth will be equal to mount Uhad, and the thickness of his skin will be equal to the passage of three days." [Muslim] "Those who reject Our Signs. We shall soon hurl into the Fire: As often as their skins are roasted through, We shall replace these for fresh skins, that they may taste the chastisement:, for Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise." [Qur'an 4: 56]. “The least among the people of Hell in punishment is one whose sandals and laces are of fire from which his brain boils as a pot of water would boil (when set on fire), he will not think that there is anyone being punished more than him, but in reality, he is the least in punishment” [Bukhari]

Some Actions which take you to Jahannam

Example;

Those who are weak to avoid evil: “The inmates of Hell are of five types: the weak who lack power to (avoid evil)” [Muslim]

Those who conceal knowledge: "Anyone who conceals when asked whilst having knowledge, will have a bridle of Fire in his mouth." [Mishkat]

Those who drink khamr: "Allah has made a vow that anyone who drinks any intoxicating thing will be made to drink "tinatul khabul " on the Day of Resurrection. "The Companions (ra) submitted" "What is "tinatul khabul"?" He explained: "It is the sweat of the Jahannamis." [Mishkat]

Those who eat Haram food: "Flesh which has grown out of what is unlawful will not enter Paradise, but Hell is more fitting for all flesh which has grown out of what is unlawful." [Tirmidhi]

Those who advise others but do not practice themselves: "On the night of Ascension I saw some people whose lips were going to be cut with the scissors of Fire. I asked: "O Jabrael ,who are they?" "These are those preachers of your Ummah who called for righteous deeds and forgot about themselves; they read and recited the Book of Allah but did not put it into practice." [Mishkat] "On the Day of Qiyamat, a person will be brought and hurled into Jahannam. His intestines will come out immediately and he will start evolving like the ass with the grinding stone. Having seen this, the men of Jahannam will centre around him and ask: "What happened to you? You asked us to do good and avoid evil?" "Yes, of course! I asked you to do good and avoid evil but did not do so myself."

Those who boast of their deeds: "Seek refuge with Allah from the well of sorrows." "What is this well of sorrows?" The Companions (ra) asked He explained: "There is a ditch in Jahannam, which is such that Jahannam itself seeks refuge from it 400 times a day." "The devouts who repeatedly boast their virtues deeds will be there.” [Mishkat]

Those who give a verdict based upon his mind: “He who introduces an opinion related to the Qur’an based on his ‘Aql he will reserve for himself a place in the Hell-fire” [Bukhari]

Those who miss their Prayers: “What has caused you to enter Hell?’ They will say: "We were not of those who used to offer their Salat (prayers)” [Qur’an 74: 42-43]

Those who use Gold and Silver utensils to eat and drink: “One who eats and drinks in the utensils of gold and silver or the utensils having something of these metals will have his stomach filled with the Fire of Jahannam” [Darqutni]

Those who draw Pictures that have soul: "Every picture maker will be in Jahannam; his pictures will be changed into a living figure who will then give punishment to him." [Bukhari]

Those who commit Suicide: "He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire." [Bukhari]

Those who are arrogant: "The arrogants will be raised in the forms of ants, having the body of ants and faces of humans. They will be driven towards the jail of Jahannam very disgracefully." [Mishkat]

Those who break family ties: "The person who severs the bond of kinship will not enter Paradise." [Bukhari]

Those of the women who are disobedient to their husbands: “I was shown Hell and I have never seen anything more terrifying than it. And I saw that the majority of its people are women.” They said, “Why, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Because of their ingratitude (kufr).” It was said, “Are they ungrateful to Allaah?” He said, “They are ungrateful to their companions (husbands) and ungrateful for good treatment. If you are kind to one of them for a lifetime then she sees one (undesirable) thing in you, she will say, ‘I have never had anything good from you.’” [Bukhari]

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Subuhaanallaah! Subuhaanallaah! Subuhaanallaah!

Ya Allah! Save us from Jahannam. Save us from Jahannam. Save us from Jahannam.

JazakiAllahu khair sister we are in need for these kind of posts really. Subuhaanallah! What a place Jahannam is.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
really sis ! jahannah is really very scary we have to remove the shaitan from us , to reach jannah .. bad things look very easy , as for good look to tough.. but they are easy

mali1

Alhamdulillah. A very nice article.

I wish I could read this everyday so that I could stay away from sin and be a good muslim. Jazakallah.

ayesha_r

Muslimah
excellent reminder to us all.
jazakallah khair for sharing it.
May ALLAh forgive us all for our sins.Ameen
:wasalam:

drassim

استغفر الله العظيم

:jazaak: A real scary thread but a useful reminder for every one.

May Allah save us all from the hell fire. :tti_sister: Ameen.

:wasalam: