Status
Not open for further replies.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
:salam2:

'Lyrical Terrorist' found guilty

_44226866_policemalik203.jpg
Samina Malik denied being a terrorist

A 23-year-old who called herself the "Lyrical Terrorist" has become the first woman in the UK to be convicted under the Terrorism Act.
Samina Malik, from Southall, west London, was found guilty at the Old Bailey of owning terrorist manuals.
The jury heard Malik had written extremist poems praising Osama Bin Laden, supporting martyrdom and discussing beheading.
Malik worked at WH Smith at Heathrow Airport until her arrest last October.
She had earlier been found not guilty of the more serious charge, under Section 57 of the Act, of possessing an article for a terrorist purpose. She denied the charges.
Extremist 'library'
Malik burst into tears in the dock when the verdict was read out.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
These communications strongly indicate Samina Malik was deeply involved with terrorist related groups
end_quote_rb.gif

Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting

inline_dashed_line.gif

Malik 'led double life'
The 'enigma' in the dock

Following the verdict, Judge Peter Beaumont QC, the Recorder of London, told Malik: "You have been in many respects a complete enigma to me."

She had posted her poems on websites under the screen name the Lyrical Terrorist, prosecutors said.
Malik said the poems were "meaningless", but prosecutor Jonathan Sharp said: "These communications strongly indicate Samina Malik was deeply involved with terrorist related groups."
Police said they had found a "library" of extreme Islamist literature in her bedroom including The Al-Qaeda Manual and The Mujahideen Poisons Handbook.
_44226772_malikmanual2_203.jpg
The cover of a weapons manual found in Samina Malik's bedroom

The court also heard she had written on the back of a WH Smith till receipt: "The desire within me increases every day to go for martyrdom."
Malik said she had only called herself the Lyrical Terrorist "because it sounded cool".
She was convicted of having articles "likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism".
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command, said: "Malik held violent extremist views which she shared with other like-minded people over the internet. She also tried to donate money to a terrorist group.
"She had the ideology, ability and determination to access and download material, which could have been useful to terrorists. Merely possessing this material is a serious criminal offence." Malik was bailed under what the judge described as "house arrest" until her sentencing on 6 December. He warned her that "all sentencing options" remained open to him.

Reference: www.BBC.co.uk (really sad!!)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It breaks my heart. A 23 year old girl with her life ahead of her. May Allah forgive us. I will research and see if we can write to her. She needs to know she is not alone. I am not in any way suggesting what she did was right, but we have to be forgiving and supportive.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
These communications strongly indicate Samina Malik was deeply involved with terrorist related groups
end_quote_rb.gif

She had posted her poems on websites under the screen name the Lyrical Terrorist, prosecutors said.
Malik said the poems were "meaningless", but prosecutor Jonathan Sharp said: "These communications strongly indicate Samina Malik was deeply involved with terrorist related groups."
Police said they had found a "library" of extreme Islamist literature in her bedroom including The Al-Qaeda Manual and The Mujahideen Poisons Handbook.

"She had the ideology, ability and determination to access and download material, which could have been useful to terrorists. Merely possessing this material is a serious criminal offence." Malik was bailed under what the judge described as "house arrest" until her sentencing on 6 December. He warned her that "all sentencing options" remained open to him.

This is really stupid to me. She made a mistake downloading materials, but her poem isnt a proof of her intention. Why would she expose her intention by calling herself the lyrical terrorist, this girl is innocent. What comunication are they talking about that indicate she is involved with a terrorist group.. Materials are on the web available to anyone, then they should of closed those websites rather than using it to catch people. Inshallah she wont be convicted, her reaction clearly indicate her innocence subhanallah.. May Allah (swt) support her on this calamity.. Amiin... Overall this story is just nonesense to me...

Wassalamu Alykom..

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

In these crazy times we can not even afford to be innoncent. The oppressors attack the females as a message to the males, this is how they think of us..it makes no difference. There are no fair laws outside of the sharia for us.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

May Allah (swt) support our sister in this calamity. Amiin.. This story is nonesense to me. If poems can lead to this dangerous level, then BNP music is far more dangerous. Since they are well aware of those materials which are available on the internet, then that proofs that she didnt need to obtain those information from third party ''terrorist group'', while its available to anyone. In fact, they monitor those websites, so whats the point of keeping them accessable except to catch innocent people who made a mistake by visting those websites... I hate to see a sister struggle that way, and her reaction is clearly indicates her innocense. Honestly, why would she expose her intentions on the internet, and call herself the lyrical terrorist. She's just messing about balatenly.. This sort of accusation just make me crazy...

Wasslamu alykom..

palestine

Servant of Allah
salam. reading all of this makes me sad, yet scared. i mean i'm one of those people who write a lot. not about going to war or such, but how innocent the palestinians and how the american gov. etc, and israel are the ones who are committing acts of terrorism. and by that many muslim HAVE BEEN put in jail for it. i just hope i'm not next. this girl has the right to express her desires. they express their feelings by planning wars, and that won't make me stop. no it won't inshAllah. so let them do what they will do, everyone will die ONCE, but my bros. sisters still make sure that you are careful. do what you have to but be careful inshAllah. salam.:tti_sister::salam2:

carpy321

brothers and sisters of islam we need too all stand together in this 1 and unite! t here is always something we can do! did any1 watch the britz? to me this seems just like that!! i live near southall im going to see what i can do to help this sister!

BintMuhammad

Staff member

Surely it's not right to support terrorism but to accuse her of being involved in terrorist acts just because of some poem? That's really funny.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
brothers and sisters of islam we need too all stand together in this 1 and unite! t here is always something we can do! did any1 watch the britz? to me this seems just like that!! i live near southall im going to see what i can do to help this sister!

:ma: brother, baraka Allahu feek..

Wassalamu Alykom...

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
really sad & scary ... to go to jail for some poems on the internet or for writing a "suicide wish" in your diary.

How come laws restricting certain types of speech/poetry were not needed during 30+ years of "Irish" terrorism ? and now with new laws coming into place, poor girl will not be allowed to travel abroad and will need to keep the police informed about her whereabout for the rest of her life.

I'm sure there are not shortage of material that insults Islam on the web ... I've come across ppl calling for Makkah to be nuked many many times ... why is that any different ?

but then I'm not surprised

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Please keep us updated on her circumstances. Let us unite and assist her in any means we can. Let us write to her. Let us write to her lawyers. There are times the pen is mighter than the sword..and we Muslims know that.
Yes, we have to be careful but we will not be oppressed. We will, InshaAllah show these people what is the heart of a Muslim.
May Allah reward all my brothers and sisters.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

i don't know what to say. i just hope that the evidence against her is false.

she may very well be innocent, but we have to keep away from things that may help us appear to be guilty.

:wasalam:

carpy321

brothers and sisters im going to use this as an oppertunity to remind every to be careful.. not that u need it. but when talking about jihad or the goverment or things like that be careful who you talk to and what about.. there is a lot of people that could be monitering us, also there could be a lot of people trying to get us to join some extremist group u never no!

so lets all take c are and follow the path of the sunnah isha alah

kayleigh

This is really stupid to me. She made a mistake downloading materials, but her poem isnt a proof of her intention. Why would she expose her intention by calling herself the lyrical terrorist, this girl is innocent. What comunication are they talking about that indicate she is involved with a terrorist group.. Materials are on the web available to anyone, then they should of closed those websites rather than using it to catch people. Inshallah she wont be convicted, her reaction clearly indicate her innocence subhanallah.. May Allah (swt) support her on this calamity.. Amiin... Overall this story is just nonesense to me...

Wassalamu Alykom..

salaam,

It doesn't matter if just anyone can download them. Everyone can download music too, but that doesn't make it any less illegal. They may not have the power to close the websites, and even if they did it's still a crime to be in possession of such materials.

I don't know about UK laws, but in the US, the right to free speech doesn't include all speech. None of us have read the poems, so, if the UK laws are the same or similar, then perhaps they're the type of speech that isn't protected.

If he is guilty, I hope she gets her fair punishment. If she isn't, then I hope she goes free. I don't know whether she is guilty or not, but the whole thing kind of screams 'witch hunt', even if she is guilty.

Even if innocent...what kind of sick, twisted person writes stuff like that?

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
this is quite shocking...I don't know what to think about this...this seems rather pathetic and a muslim shouldn't even make them suspicious..we should avoid these things.

"And, the court heard, on an online social networking group known as Hi-5 she listed her interests as "helping the mujahideen any way I can" and, in the section for her favourite TV shows, she entered "watching videos by Muslim brothers in Iraq, yep, the beheading ones.""

this is interesting, hi5? huh!

island muslim

Salaam Alaiykum,

The lesson for the umma to learn from the sister's unjust accusations is that we realize that the "war on terrorism" is actually a "war on Islam".

May Allah Grant the sister sabr in this time of distress ameen

siddiq85

shame on the jury!!

:ma: brother, baraka Allahu feek..

Wassalamu Alykom...

if we are serious,we should close this websites to completely avoid visiting them,not downloading.it sounds funny...
every one with weapon besides security srvices should be brought before the jury...

siddiq85

what a crazy!!!

this is quite shocking...I don't know what to think about this...this seems rather pathetic and a muslim shouldn't even make them suspicious..we should avoid these things.

"And, the court heard, on an online social networking group known as Hi-5 she listed her interests as "helping the mujahideen any way I can" and, in the section for her favourite TV shows, she entered "watching videos by Muslim brothers in Iraq, yep, the beheading ones.""

this is interesting, hi5? huh!

base on this cariteria,milions of muslim youth both male and female are to be arrested as they expressed the same fealings on the same site.are they especting silence from us?:astag:

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

brothers and sisters im going to use this as an oppertunity to remind every to be careful.. not that u need it. but when talking about jihad or the goverment or things like that be careful who you talk to and what about.. there is a lot of people that could be monitering us, also there could be a lot of people trying to get us to join some extremist group u never no!

so lets all take c are and follow the path of the sunnah isha alah

You right brother... We should avoid all this...

:wasalam:

Status
Not open for further replies.