A Thoughtful Article By A Sister For The Parents In America

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenGiove

Assalaam walaikum,

I think this is yet another instance of the meeting of many cultures.

I'm no schooler but wasn't there something about there being a tribe and nation for each people and to go out and meet the people of all lands? Maybe I'm mistaken, being non-muslim I don't have the full understanding.

In reflecting most of the comments made about being emotional were directed towards me.

Don't be so humble Sister. You were just deflecting the rage from being aimed at me. So next time, it's my turn? Hmmm...We'll have to keep track....btw, "children meets hit-and-run"...just as a heads-up.

The article by Ms.Khan was the epitome of emotional wax poetica.

Wax poetica...I like that....

Muslims have a hard time accepting American Muslim women. We can take it but we can dish it out,too. And that is simply what I did. I questioned the myopic and simplistic article by a person who was disgruntled. In simple words..you are dishing out some heavy stuff now can you take the heat for what you wrote.

Exactly. Its quite easy to point the light into the darkness in front of you....but what if the darkness is inside you? It is hard to walk in light if you are covered in shadow. It takes courage and a willingness to change what is incorrect with your own self. I can't remember what passage it is but I remember it because it was so similar to what Christ said. Mohammad was talking about rectifying your debts....before you can ask Creator to forgive your debts, you have to make right what you own here. Leave the mosque and make right what you owe, then come back and make right with Allah...something along those lines.

When you strive to live a life filled with goodness and grace and in the service of the Creator, we tend to forget that even the dirt upon the floor was created by him and for a reason. We may not like it in our homes and we have the choice to allow it to stay, or remove it and keep it out. With diligence, the dirt can stay in it's place and you can stay in your's....Sister Aapa once likened it to weeding a garden. Faith is like that as well. Weed out the good so you can see the beauty around you....but those weeds have a purpose...they can make new fertile soil in which new flowers can grow.

No, I questioned the motives of an article written by a emotional woman.

Maybe she was hormonal...maybe someone just ran over her cat....who knows. It was irresponsible to take her anger out on people she doesn't even know though...just my opinion.

Relax people..its jumma and I'm going to the beach to reflect on the beauty of Creator. He made, yet , another day made in heaven. Funny thing ...it's right here in the good old USA. Now how about that. Peaceful, peaceful, peaceful peace.

...and in the morning, I will greet the sun for you...one giant circle. Now doesn't the world feel really small?

omahmed

Sister in Islam
Salaam Aaapa,

The first step to being accepted as a strong American Muslim woman is to gracefully accept that another strong American Muslim woman, who, by the way, is not here to defend herself, has differing views to your own.

I would also appreciate you not misleadingly propagating the Western stereotype of Muslim women as being weak and unable to stand up for themselves.
I've actually met a few aged, Emirati women here in the UAE, with no formal education whatsoever, speak more wisely and more powerfully than many young university graduates I've heard.

This is a multicultural forum - it's up to each one of us to respect and not belittle the input of others, whether we agree with their views or not - this is a part of Islamic adab, or good manners.

Zeba Khan has the right to express her views, and explain why she left the US and went back to her country. Perhaps a stronger rebuttal would be for you to write an article that you can post here explaining why you love the US and feel free and content to live as a Muslim woman and parent there.

Salaam, and hope you had fun at the beach.

JenGiove

Salaam Aaapa,

I would also appreciate you not misleadingly propagating the Western stereotype of Muslim women as being weak and unable to stand up for themselves.

Salam Omahmed,

Here on these boards, it has been expressed many times that Muslim American women (and men) must have weak deen and iman and are also not really Muslims since they are "clearly" disobeying the Prophet by living in a Kafir land for something other than necessity purposes. Many times *I* have seen this. It takes a strong person to live here and live by a standard of beliefs that take you out of the muck and mire found here. I've had to do that as a Jehovah's Witness and I do that now, as a Native American Indian. The article paint a broad sweeping generalized view of the activities of approximately 307,006,550 people. Has she personally experienced all these events? No. She read about them in newspapers and on tv. How many times here have I been told to ignore what I read in the papers and on tv because its a zionist controlled, Imperialist country who's only intent is to force democracy on the world and condones the killing of babies and the elderly"? How much easier is it for a muslim to not be open hearted when they meet a non-muslim living in a kafir country because of these sweeping generalizations? What about all the soup kitchens and charity works here at home? What about the free health clinics and the interfaith councils? What about the American neighbors helping to repair the roof of a Muslim family and vise versa? Do you hear about THOSE activities here? No. No no no no no...you don't. What about all the schools imposing dress codes and behaviour standards? What about the Charter schools and alternative learning centers because parents, kafir country non-muslim parents, disapprove of the drugs and violence in inner city (high population, low income) schools? Teachers who are too tired and too apathetic from student abuse and rules teachers can't break without loosing their jobs.

The article above is equvilent to the below:

"Why would I never live in a Muslim country? I'll tell you wnhy. While the Arab world is known for its science and search for wisdom, it's schollers remain dumb and blind to the world. The backwards thinking found in the rulers who brainwash the population into believing that an illeterate sheep herder who sat in a dark cave could receive the word of God. We're supposed to believe that? I'm not saying that it didn't happen. Who knows, maybe it did. I don't know. Maybe Christ walked on water or maybe it just looked like that cause no one could see the stones just below the water line that he stepped on. Who knows, maybe he suffered from a neurological disorder that geve him very powerful hallucinations that has lead to the world being united under one God. Not such a bad thing, I'll admit. As a woman though, I wouldn't suggest you raise your eyes to read a street sign. You will be labled a prostitute and stoned on the spot. At least then she won't have to bear the thought that her daughter would be forced into having her private parts chopped off simply because men can't control their urges.............................."

What in that writting was not a fact? Was it a distortion of the truth with truth mixed in? Was Mohammad not a shepard before he became the prophet? Was anyone in the cave with him? Does not the entire world believe that Christ walked on water but were any of them looking down into the water to check for stones? Is it not in the Qur'an for women to veil their eyes and for them to be circumsized? Can a woman not be stoned for being viewed as being in a sexual relationship with a man not her husband?

All things true, but without more knowlege, more wisdom, more understanding.....all of them can be distorted by the one experiencing these events as something evil and vile.

Was it not Mohammad who said to beware of looking at a person's life through YOUR glasses and not their's? (it's times like this that I could remember everything I read). Mohammad met lots of people while working with his uncle and then on his own in the caravans. While he probably learned things that were discusting and vile, he gained so much more by watching and being open minded. Would he ever make wide sweeping statements in mixed company? I would say "NEVER".

This is a multicultural forum - it's up to each one of us to respect and not belittle the input of others, whether we agree with their views or not - this is a part of Islamic adab, or good manners.

I agree, unfortunately, there are some ayat's and hadith's that, without the surrounding information and story that are taken as literal and used to justify hurting others, even indirectly. The Arabs were given the gift of eloquence, yet some here choose not to use that gift of speech properly.

Zeba Khan has the right to express her views, and explain why she left the US and went back to her country. Perhaps a stronger rebuttal would be for you to write an article that you can post here explaining why you love the US and feel free and content to live as a Muslim woman and parent there.

"Ask and yee shall receive"...though I wrote the reverse of the article instead of explaining my views of America.

For now I leave you. Please know that I did not write this reply in anger. I apologize now for having to use Mohammad in the article but I know so little that he was the only example I could use. Inshallah, he understands. I hope everyone who reads this can understand as well.

Salam....

arzafar

oh yes american muslims are open minded. so open minded that they dont mind if somebody burns the quraan, humiliates islaamic prophets (moses, jesus and Muhammad saw) and Islamic shariah and other symbols. in fact islaamic shariah is ridiculed on live tv through actions and speech virtually everyday. but that's not a problem obviously since Muslims Americans are very open minded.

And off course american Muslim women are strong. so much in fact that they pay their own taxes and these taxes fund the US military and govt. The US military and govt has has been killing muslims, destroying their homes and lives over the last decade. not to mention american govt's continued support and protection of the state of Israel at all international forums. But american muslim women are very strong and they dont mind a few muslims getting killed off their taxes everyday.

AND BEFORE SOMEBODY BRINGS UP THE ZIONISTS, at least them zionists are loyal to their cause and to the 'Jewish homeland' wherever they go. who exactly are american muslims loyal to?

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
oh yes american muslims are open minded. so open minded that they dont mind if somebody burns the quraan, humiliates islaamic prophets (moses, jesus and Muhammad saw) and Islamic shariah and other symbols. in fact islaamic shariah is ridiculed on live tv through actions and speech virtually everyday. but that's not a problem obviously since Muslims Americans are very open minded.

And off course american Muslim women are strong. so much in fact that they pay their own taxes and these taxes fund the US military and govt. The US military and govt has has been killing muslims, destroying their homes and lives over the last decade. not to mention american govt's continued support and protection of the state of Israel at all international forums. But american muslim women are very strong and they dont mind a few muslims getting killed off their taxes everyday.

AND BEFORE SOMEBODY BRINGS UP THE ZIONISTS, at least them zionists are loyal to their cause and to the 'Jewish homeland' wherever they go. who exactly are american muslims loyal to?

Bhai what's the purpose to all this.what should americansss and specifically american muslimahs do??jump down the ocean and swim to muslim lands or beg for food??put yourself in their shoes bhai,

i know where this is coming from.but if someone tells me.pakistani girls don't pay a damn to their lives as they live there provided all the drone and suicide attacks and provided their leaders loyalty to them(sisters Afia's case).what would you say to them.Everybody loves their countries and wish it to become paradise for them.isn't the taxes we pay going to our armies which is fighting the so called war on terror.killing and getting killed??are we to be blamed.give each other some space shall we??

i don't agree with the American nation blaming people of thinking wrongly about them.That what's going to happen when their soldiers kill us,their drones kill us,their agencies kill us,their leaders support our killings.The people have met the American killers so they naturally hate them.they haven't met americans so they should not get angry,frustated or feel targeted at this sort of anger shown.it's the evil face they show so do we have a choice??when they show a good face we treate them with respect.and it hardly goes other wise.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalaam walaikum,

Why do people constantly feel they can attack Americans. Please go and read and find out that the people of America are innocent. There is a difference between the government and the people.

Wa Allaicumu saalam wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Yes, but mayority of them is on wrong path. May Allah guide them,ameen summa ameen :tti_sister:

:wasalam:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Wa Allaicumu saalam wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Yes, but mayority of them is on wrong path. May Allah guide them,ameen summa ameen :tti_sister:

:psister you answers are always so sweet and innocent!!!

hey,hang on guys i'm not saying her comment on US people is funny:pit's the tone:SMILY252:

yeah may Allah guide them:)

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
:psister you answers are always so sweet and innocent!!!

hey,hang on guys i'm not saying her comment on US people is funny:pit's the tone:SMILY252:

yeah may Allah guide them:)

Assalamu allaicumu wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

That is so sweet of you dear sister. :hijabi:.

Alhamdulillah, all kindness is from Allah only.

Ameen for your duas.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Salaam Aaapa,

The first step to being accepted as a strong American Muslim woman is to gracefully accept that another strong American Muslim woman, who, by the way, is not here to defend herself, has differing views to your own.

I've actually met a few aged, Emirati women here in the UAE, with no formal education whatsoever, speak more wisely and more powerfully than many young university graduates I've heard.

Salaam, and hope you had fun at the beach.

Ma sha Allah

kayleigh

Zeba Khan has the right to express her views, and explain why she left the US and went back to her country.

I've skimmed most of the replies to this thread, but is anyone even saying that Zeba Khan doesn't have the right to write this article? I don't think anyone is. I would like to think most people on here believe in free speech. Zeba Khan has every right to write this article. Just like you have the right to agree with her, and I have the right to think it's arrogant, unproductive, and in some instances, not true.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Wow...an ex-patriot writes an article from a safe distance.

I would love to debate her. I have won.

In retrospect she has made my points for me. It takes a tough Muslim woman to live in the belly of the beast and hold dear to her faith.

It is perspective and as the songstress said: I will survive.

It is time to move on to posts about inclusiveness..the strong American woman will stand by her sisters.

omahmed

Sister in Islam
Dear Kayleigh,

I can't actually agree or disagree with her - I haven't had the same experiences she has. The two years I did live in the US I was newly married and a student. It was the first time I had ever prayed in a mosque, and it was the first time I ever put on hijab. I met some lovely people, both immigrants and reverts, and was filled with love for them when I saw them serve people themselves at an Iftar gathering they had prepared. I actually liked the feeling of being a minority there - I felt I had to hold on to my religion and its teachings even more. I left the US feeling that it was a great place filled with friendly people. But my name's not Zeba Khan, who apparently feels differently as a result of her own experiences. I, for one, have had enough of this thread! And if I've offended anyone inadvertently here or anywhere else I've posted - please accept my apologies. Salaam.

Status
Not open for further replies.