Kids can't be taught Quran without a Stick!

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
:salam2: Brothers and Sisters,

I would like to share a similiar issue to Parents beating Kids.

In India the teachers who teach Quran (Tajweed and memorization) firmly believe that Children cannot be Taught Quran without a stick!

This is the attitude of the Quran Teachers is same across the Spectrum of Sects and "Schools of thoughts". From Barelvis to Deobandis and even Ahl E Hadees (Salafis). You would be hard pressed to find Madrasas where Stick is not used for teaching.

The only exception that I know of are new Schools that are coming up these days here (not Madrasas) where kids get Secular education as well as do Quran Memorization like the one opened by Dr.Zakir Naik, Dr. Bilal Phillips etc.

Personally, I have been beating a lot by Quran teachers when I was kid. And it has not changed in 20 years.

Recently, My Wife and me convinced our Maid to send his kid to our Masjid
so that he can Islaam and learn Quran, Only to find that the Kid is being beaten badly every few days!

I would like to narrate one more incident. My bro-in-law just completed his School education and is very much interested to do memorize Quran.

So I called up a friend who has studied in a Madrasa and is now studying in Madeenah University to know about admission in Madrasa etc.

He told me that he will get beaten very often because he is past peak time for Quran Memorization (since he is 15).

So he recommended sending him to Islamic studies course rather than Quran memorization.

I'm really very disturbed after these experiences.

And once again let me point that beating Kids for Memorizing Quran is same in Madrasas across all "Sects" and Schools of thought :(.

:wasalam:

:salam2:

when I was little I went to school that teaches Arabic and Islam. no hitting. I benefited none as I was there and played with the other kids. It was a big hangout.

later on when I was twelve there was a Serian teacher, hifza Allah, he would wack our hands to become known as "3 hard sticks". He used a peice of a old baby crib stick made of wood. Only used it for disobedeince and if we didn't do our homework.

I only had his class for 3 months. The arabic I learned was so tremendous. all my friends and I benefited greatly. read write speak u name it. we all still laugh today at those funny incidents of getting hit.

by the way, my parents didn't put me in the class. I voluntary went to it.

alhamdulillah

this was in the USA a while ago and teachers that were good were very rare and at times were driven away by the community for one reason or the other. it is a shame and if I know where there are schools nowadays similar to that class, I would definetly enroll my kids.

Only problem here in the USA, is parents started suing the teachers who taught this way. Some even faced criminal charges.

so I am left teaching my kids, using the new method of encouragement and development. no hitting. The only problem it takes a whole lot of patience. With Quran no mistakes are allowed period. It also takes a very long time as well.

jaguark

there are always 2 ways to look at it. 1 is that its bad and 2 is that its good.

I believe that without a stick you cannot learn at all, because as mentioned above you use the mosque as a chill out zone and just talk away rather than learn. BUT i myself have experienced some of the teachers to go on the next level of beating kids up. I think some of them overdo it. But a stick is surely needed to keep the respect for the mosque and teacher for sure. Scared of being hit the children tend to learn much more.

musliminah 05

I think there are other ways to teach besides beating them with a stick all the time. My husband to this day remembers it and how he got picked on a the Musjid. Sometimes it is not used in the correct manner and is used as to create fear which could take that person away from Islam. I dont have my children in Madressa they are taught at home, for the simple reason that I will disapline my child I do not want them been beaten for not remembering their dor or anything else. My son went to musjid as a new muslim, every musjid he went to they didnt teach him they ignored him and he was left out. In the end my husband taught him as he is the only one that had his best interests at heart, unfortunatly none of the musjids he went to did. Been a new muslim is hard enough but when you are a child and come up agaisnt rasium in the musjid its hard and can break your iman. So now the younger two are taught at home as well, and they get more time and individual attention. I dont think I could ever send them to the musjid to be taught.
Too many in the classes and therefore they cannot give that individual time to the young ones
This is only my experience and opinion, every person and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
:wasalam::shymuslima1:

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah

Hm.. an important thing to be discussed..

I personally do never agree with the people who say that we must beat the kids for the Quran memorization..

In my country, (Specially in South Asia) there are Quran recitation Madresa as well as memorization madresas.. but sadly the students are undergoing very hard times whenever they fail to finish their tasks according to the schedule of their teacher..

When I was a kid, my parents sent me to a recitation Madresa, It was so hard for me to pronounce the two 'Ayn s properly.. it was just hard and I was 5 yrs old..
My teacher taught me to pronounce but I could not..:(
You know what he did???
He made me sit next to him and he asked all the other students to line up
and he told them to fold their fingers and knock me on my head !!!

AHHHHHHHHHHH ITS STILL HURTING... SUBHANALLAH there were more than 20 students on my batch most of them were sooo fat.. can you guess what i went through?

I saw stars on the day !!!!

On the way back to my home I could never walk properly i just went to my mum's room and I had a sleep... to see, when I got up afters few hours I came to know that I am having a fever and a bleeding nose ..SUBHANALLAH..

If there were more students, I am sure they would have killed me..:( ALLAH IS THE GREATEST

Then I had to go through sooo many things to over come the fever

But later on I was blessed with a loving teacher, he always loved me a lot and never got frustrated with my disabilities on pronouncing the letters..SUBHANALLAH

From him, I have got some thing........ and that is Beating, would never benefit any of the kids when it comes to the Quran, and Islamic studies.. but any thing is possible if you truly love your kids and have patience with them,,,

FEE AMANILLAH:hearts:

khangul

your sister

yes sometimes it makes us made when the kids are playing and teasing around and do not concentrate on reading.here in canada when i used to send my kids to a teacher they would not give any imortance to reading but when i moved to another province and couldnt found a teacher , i had to to teach my kids by myself.sometimes i got mad at them when they would not respond me .Then i realized to make them love with quran.When i taught them and a story of prophets came i would explain it to them how it happened, i would tell them how much reward will you earn if you read it with love and these are the words of ALLAH.all these things made them read it with love and respect.
may ALLAH give us the strenght and knowledge to prevail HIS message. ameen

Ahsen

To tell you the truth,beating should not be disallowed.There are some kids who are noisy and stubborn.The stick should not be used for all kids but only for those who create problems.And also beating is not done in all institutions.

ShyHijabi

Umm yeah, if someone uses a stick on my kid they are going to be eating that stick.

I grew up being taught Torah and Hebrew and we were never struck. None of the kids were. Using physical violence will do the opposite of creating a learning atmosphere. There are many more effective ways of teaching children than hitting them. If someone has to use a stick then they are a failure as a teacher.

There is a difference between discipline and punishment. You can discipline a child without ever laying a hand on them. Remove priviledges, seperate them from their little group of friends, etc., But once you begin to hit a child then you've lost control and are a bully.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

While brother abubaseer's post is about getting beaten up by the teachers/moulvis.

I know that some moulvis/teachers land a small whack with a stick every time anyone makes a mistake in Hifdh from where I am from. I have not attended them, but this is what I understood is the norm at mosques/centres where memorization takes place.

However, I have not heard about beaten black and blue as a form of discipline. That's actually violence. Poor kids..

You always hear something disturbing every other day.

the99

ONLY ALLAH KNOW BEST JUDGE

UAE OR MOST MUSLIM COUNTRIES DONT NEED CHRISTMAS TREE BECUASE THEY ARE MUSLIM FOLLOW ISLAM, UAE IS SILLY LIKE NEW RICH CITY EXAMPLE LAS VEGAS LIKE DUBAI ,

the99

muslim cummunity need better developemnt

bismillah

salam

muslim need communicates developmental like example many muslim world has use quran on cumputer laptop cd tape help kid learn quran

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
when my husband was 8 years old,his teacher of Quran used to beat him with a stick of wood.many years passed from that moment,and he told me that he couldn't memorize the quran because of the fear to be beaten,so he left the school and gave up everything.I don't agree with the phisycal punition to learn something.when I was a child I used to be beaten by my father for any reason,and I grew up with the fear of men and with the fear a dog has to be hit with a stone.:girl3:

JenGiove

On the way back to my home I could never walk properly i just went to my mum's room and I had a sleep... to see, when I got up afters few hours I came to know that I am having a fever and a bleeding nose ..SUBHANALLAH..

I'm not entirely positive but that sounds like the symptoms of a concussion!! Sister Shy, your our resident Physician, what do you think of her symptoms?

Perseveranze

lol, I had to do the mourgie (hen stance), where you put your hands behind your legs and hold your ears. I remember it was punishment for doing something bad but atleast it strengthned my leg muscles lol

owever, I have not heard about beaten black and blue as a form of discipline. That's actually violence. Poor kids..

I think that's rare, very rare. I have seen some light hitting on the hand at worst (talking about the UK), not something i'd be too concerned about. But if there is some really violent beating then that Imam needs to stop teaching.

Wannabemuslim

Speaking as a child my self I think that there needs to be some swift dicipline to help me learn, nothing to pain full but ive found without punishment i either feel awful like im being lazy or i punish my self mentaly. My parents dont really much care what i do as long as i get okay grades, i dont know if this is healthy...

However i have never been hurt by my parents so i dont know

xAllahKnowsBestx

:/ I quit Qur'an recitation school when I was 12 because I was too scared to go. The teacher would always embarass me because I had a slight accent, and once he beat me with one of those loooong sticks for ripping paper out of my notebook (I still don't know why, lol.)

Not to mention, he would play random songs on his phone and tell us to "guess" who sang it. && He'd only eat "white candy" because "white is a holy color". Lol, I'm glad I quit that school though. Online tutoring works much better for me! ^___^

Wannabemuslim

:/ I quit Qur'an recitation school when I was 12 because I was too scared to go. The teacher would always embarass me because I had a slight accent, and once he beat me with one of those loooong sticks for ripping paper out of my notebook (I still don't know why, lol.)

Not to mention, he would play random songs on his phone and tell us to "guess" who sang it. && He'd only eat "white candy" because "white is a holy color". Lol, I'm glad I quit that school though. Online tutoring works much better for me! ^___^[/QUOTE]

this part i found amousing, the rest was sad : (

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

Hey, I haven't been on TTI in so long... but to the topic..

This is a bit preposterous. When I was little, at around age 6, we had a Quran teacher come home everyday to teach us. We were never ever ever hit, but we were able to learn to read quickly and also memorized some, without any problems.

Though I don't agree at all with children being beaten to learn, there are some kids who just play around or want to have a good time instead of learn, but for them, just some mild explanations of why this is so important, or some really minor scolding should do it. Hitting only makes the child fearful and he/she starts dreading the activity instead of looking forward to it.