Libyan Protests: Deadly 'day of rage' in Libya

Abu Talib

Feeling low
How is Morocco managing to spend $5.3million a year in USA when they have so many poor people? More importantly, why? What are they lobbying for?
Assalam alaikum.

Wa'alaykumassalam

I don't know really I hate the lobbying stuff you bribe and get your work done. One reason could be to have US soldiers stationed in Morrocco to protect the King against the Western Sahara Uprisings.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
RIYADH/JEDDAH: Imams in mosques across the Kingdom on Friday led prayers for the Libyan people and in sermons called for the overthrow of Muammar Qaddafi.

Al Jazeera: Gaddafi Battalions enter town of Zawiya after tanks bombed civilian neighbourhoods. (50km/30 miles west of Tripoli)

Electricity has now been cut in Zawia, Gaddafi gov say they aim to have the city under their control by the end of the night

17 confirmed dead from bombing of weapon depot in Rajma, Benghazi

abdul-aziz

Libya Goes Dark Again Even While Internet Servers Continue Running

:salam2:

Libya shut down Internet access again on March 3, but it’s using a new technique to throttle network traffic even though it appears the nation’s Web servers are still technically up and running.

Libya lost Internet connectivity again on March 3, according to multiple traffic monitors.

Search queries to Google and YouTube traffic both flat-lined starting about 11 a.m. Eastern time, or 7 p.m. Libya time on March 3, and this has continued since, according to the Google Transparency Report. Interestingly, there had been a dramatic increase in YouTube traffic in the days just before the cut-off.

Traffic monitoring firm Renesys started receiving reports March. 4 that Libyans in Tripoli were unable to use the Internet, but saw nothing unusual in the BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) routing table, wrote James Cowie, the chief technology officer of Renesys, on the company’s blog tracking Libya’s outage. “All Libyan routes up and stable,” he wrote.

However, trace routes indicated there was no data-packet traffic flowing on the otherwise open routes. Renesys tried several Web sites known to be hosted in Libya, including government Web sites, and got no response, Cowie said.

"It's like a post-apocalyptic scenario where the roads are there, there just isn't any traffic," Cowie told the International Business Times.

Libya went dark on Feb. 19 and Feb. 20 for about seven hours each day in a regular pattern that implied a curfew rather than a total blackout. Like the Egypt shutdown, Libyan ISPs just turned off their servers to prevent people from going online. The current shutdown is different because servers are up and responding to “ping” requests, said Cowie.

Instead, Libyan telecommunications operators appear to be throttling down the network bandwidth to restrict traffic, much in the same way the ISP would cut off users when they exceeded their monthly data limit, Cowie said.

“Every time I think that someone has a way to shut down the Internet they come up with a new way,” Cowie told IBT.

The chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology, the country’s leading ISP, is none other than Muhammad Gadhafi, the eldest son of Col. Moammar Gadhafi.

The current outage follows weeks of reduced traffic volumes, according Arbor Networks, which monitors global Internet traffic using data from more than 100 ISPs in its ATLAS network.

While shutting down servers and withdrawing the BGP routes is basically hitting an Internet kill switch, Libya’s latest technique is more analogous to a strong firewall rule. Even though most of the population can’t get online, the technique theoretically allows some systems and users, Col. Moammar Gadhafi, for example, to continue using the Internet.

During the Egyptian shutdown, Google enabled a “speak to tweet” service that allowed users to call a phone number that would appear on Twitter. There has been no such service announced for Libya. It may not be as effective, as mobile phones have been working sporadically for at least a week, according to Al-Jazeera.

As before, there are a number of alternatives being shared on Twitter for Libyans to get online, such as a free dial-up account provided by organizations in Europe. XS4ALL, a "hacker-friendly" Internet service provider based in the Netherlands, opened up its modem lines for free during the previous curfew, but there had been no activity from Libya on the account, XS4ALL’s Niels Huijbregts told eWEEK.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Cloud-Computing/Libya-Goes-Dark-Again-Even-While-Internet-Servers-Continue-Running-382131/

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Gaddafi just ignoring what should have been a lesson for a dictator like him after the fallen of Tunisian and Egyptian leaders. I pray for Allah to give victory to Libyan brothers and sisters. There are yet few other dictators still cling to their powers in the Islamic world, may Allah remove all of them too. At the same time, Libyan should manage their affairs and reject any attempt from busy bodies like US and its allied gangsters.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Al Arabiya: Gaddafi forces advance towards Ras Lanuf under military air cover

The Independent: US, desperate to avoid military involvement in Libya, asks Saudi to supply weapons to the rebels

AFP: US under pressure to arm Libya rebels

dna1987

Muslim Guy
While I dislike Gaddafi, I'm slightly worried about the fact that the US is supporting the rebels. I hope they haven't already set up some puppets that will be more willing to bend over to them. Gaddafi is a terrible, domestic dictator but he wasn't always on good terms with the USA from what I know.

Unlike the domestic tyrant dictators in the USA that already are puppets of the USA.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

OKay someone please clear me on this:

I hear the protest going on in Libya is a Islamic one, if so then how come US is siding with the protesters?

If not then what is the actual situation in Libya?

Mairo

Maryama
I cant understand this talk of civil war, Libya only wants a end to the regime it seems that outside forces want this to happen but the Libyan pepole do not , they are more united to have afree and safe country, freedom of religion to be able to wear a beard, to go to pray in the mosque 5 times a day with out worrying that the security would not be knocking on their door to take them to prison,just because they say Lailahillah, they are a peaceful people , but when you are up against this brutality what are you suppoed to do , sit and let them slaughter you and your families???

You are in my thoughts and prayers dear sister. I hope that the situation will come to a conclusion ASAP, that you will not have to live with the terror and brutality of this regime any longer.

Stay safe, may Allah protect you always.

:wasalam:

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah

OKay someone please clear me on this:

I hear the protest going on in Libya is a Islamic one, if so then how come US is siding with the protesters?

If not then what is the actual situation in Libya?

I've read that the US probably has a ready-made leader waiting to be installed after Gaddafi leaves, who will more readily listen to US and Israeli interests and be a better puppet..

As taken from http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/?p=21552

America’s secret plan to arm Libya’s rebels
By Robert Fisk on March 7, 2011

Desperate to avoid US military involvement in Libya in the event of a prolonged struggle between the Gaddafi regime and its opponents, the Americans have asked Saudi Arabia if it can supply weapons to the rebels in Benghazi. The Saudi Kingdom, already facing a “day of rage” from its 10 per cent Shia Muslim community on Friday, with a ban on all demonstrations, has so far failed to respond to Washington’s highly classified request, although King Abdullah personally loathes the Libyan leader, who tried to assassinate him just over a year ago.

Washington’s request is in line with other US military co-operation with the Saudis. The royal family in Jeddah, which was deeply involved in the Contra scandal during the Reagan administration, gave immediate support to American efforts to arm guerrillas fighting the Soviet army in Afghanistan in 1980 and later – to America’s chagrin – also funded and armed the Taliban.

But the Saudis remain the only US Arab ally strategically placed and capable of furnishing weapons to the guerrillas of Libya. Their assistance would allow Washington to disclaim any military involvement in the supply chain – even though the arms would be American and paid for by the Saudis.

The Saudis have been told that opponents of Gaddafi need anti-tank rockets and mortars as a first priority to hold off attacks by Gaddafi’s armour, and ground-to-air missiles to shoot down his fighter-bombers.

Supplies could reach Benghazi within 48 hours but they would need to be delivered to air bases in Libya or to Benghazi airport. If the guerrillas can then go on to the offensive and assault Gaddafi’s strongholds in western Libya, the political pressure on America and Nato – not least from Republican members of Congress – to establish a no-fly zone would be reduced.

US military planners have already made it clear that a zone of this kind would necessitate US air attacks on Libya’s functioning, if seriously depleted, anti-aircraft missile bases, thus bringing Washington directly into the war on the side of Gaddafi’s opponents.

For several days now, US Awacs surveillance aircraft have been flying around Libya, making constant contact with Malta air traffic control and requesting details of Libyan flight patterns, including journeys made in the past 48 hours by Gaddafi’s private jet which flew to Jordan and back to Libya just before the weekend.

Officially, Nato will only describe the presence of American Awacs planes as part of its post-9/11 Operation Active Endeavour, which has broad reach to undertake aerial counter-terrorism measures in the Middle East region.

The data from the Awacs is streamed to all Nato countries under the mission’s existing mandate. Now that Gaddafi has been reinstated as a super-terrorist in the West’s lexicon, however, the Nato mission can easily be used to search for targets of opportunity in Libya if active military operations are undertaken.

Al Jazeera English television channel last night broadcast recordings made by American aircraft to Maltese air traffic control, requesting information about Libyan flights, especially that of Gaddafi’s jet.

An American Awacs aircraft, tail number LX-N90442 could be heard contacting the Malta control tower on Saturday for information about a Libyan Dassault-Falcon 900 jet 5A-DCN on its way from Amman to Mitiga, Gaddafi’s own VIP airport.

Nato Awacs 07 is heard to say: “Do you have information on an aircraft with the Squawk 2017 position about 85 miles east of our [sic]?”

Malta air traffic control replies: “Seven, that sounds to be Falcon 900- at flight level 340, with a destination Mitiga, according to flight plan.”

But Saudi Arabia is already facing dangers from a co-ordinated day of protest by its own Shia Muslim citizens who, emboldened by the Shia uprising in the neighbouring island of Bahrain, have called for street protests against the ruling family of al-Saud on Friday.

After pouring troops and security police into the province of Qatif last week, the Saudis announced a nationwide ban on all public demonstrations.

Shia organisers claim that up to 20,000 protesters plan to demonstrate with women in the front rows to prevent the Saudi army from opening fire.

If the Saudi government accedes to America’s request to send guns and missiles to Libyan rebels, however, it would be almost impossible for President Barack Obama to condemn the kingdom for any violence against the Shias of the north-east provinces.

Thus has the Arab awakening, the demand for democracy in North Africa, the Shia revolt and the rising against Gaddafi become entangled in the space of just a few hours with US military priorities in the region.

Source

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
You know what I find strange? Suddenly all news channels are brimming with a story of a "New Released Footage" of 9/11 from an NYPD helicopter. I have to ask myself: why now? After all these years? And why during a muslim-nation upheaval? Is this to reignite hatred and stir hatred again by flooding people's minds with 9/11 again, so they are pretty complacent when it comes to the US and other powers to start heavy military action in the Middle Eastern countries?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister everything points to the fact that 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB. AND UNTIL MUSLIMS ALL BELIEVE IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB IT WILL NOT STOP. WE HAVE MUSLIMS TESTIFYING BEFORE CONGRESS ON WHAT IS WRONG WITH RADICAL MUSLIMS..THEY HAVE TO STOP.

THERE IS NO RADICAL ISLAM
AND 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB.
CHECK THE DATA
CHECK THE ENGINEERS ETC ETC ETC.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaam walaikum,

:wasalam:

There is no radical form of Islam. True.

However, there are people who are extremists and use 'Islam' as a means to forward their misguided ideas and vicious motives.

With strong dawah, we can spread the words of our noble scholars who speak against such forms of extremism and the misguided people who call others to such acts. With the help and mercy of Allah azz zawajal, we will be able to better our conditions and stop muslims from committing such acts.

Wasalaamalaykum

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Assalaam walaikum,

Sister everything points to the fact that 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB. AND UNTIL MUSLIMS ALL BELIEVE IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB IT WILL NOT STOP. WE HAVE MUSLIMS TESTIFYING BEFORE CONGRESS ON WHAT IS WRONG WITH RADICAL MUSLIMS..THEY HAVE TO STOP.

AND 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB.
CHECK THE DATA
CHECK THE ENGINEERS ETC ETC ETC.

I believe you sister - it was definitely an inside job - there is so much evidence to the casual observer who just cares to look at all the evidence. But I'm saying that the media has brainwashed people to think that muslims are behind it. And that's what they're doing again - suddenly this new 9/11 footage pops up, coinciding with tropps being moved into muslim countries.

Shak78

Assalaam walaikum,

The US government is an imperial aggressive model. Manifest Destiny. I am waiting for the moment, Insha"Allah, any day now when the American people will demand an explanation and chase these morons out of office.

We are the most oppressed. We are so oppressed we remember little of freedom. More than any nation, the United States, needs a wake-up call. The people, luckily, are beginning to understand that we have been lied to for far too long. Our water is poisoned, we have hungry children, we have homelessness, in short we have so many domestic problems even the elite have to see.

Experts are saying the demise will be by the end of this year. I was on the road a little while back. At a gas station a good looking young man had a sign : Family in need. I was taken aback. He was handsome, young, and had an aura of wealth about him. His beautiful wife was sitting in their car with her head slightly bent, in shame. He seemed as if he were an executive not too far behind him.

So Brother, please understand it is the construct that has oppressed other nations, the idea, and so devilish as to kill their own.

The heart of America is with the people of righteousness.

I could not have said it better myself Sister. You are so right about this country. I just wonder what will it take for the masses to rise up and demand accountability.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

They plan and plot, but Allah to plans and indeed Allah is the best of Planners.

Truth will inshAllah be clear soon, every one will see the clear distinction between right and wrong.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ No good in protesting? That's why a revolution is necessary in these countries.

Also, to your other question about asking why the US is supporting the revolution if it's an Islamic one, I'd say to you that it's not always so simple. The US supported the Islamic resistance by the Afghanis against the Russians in the 1980s. They really supported it, with weapons and training, but they had their own interest. It didn't make the resistance fighters less Islamic. Assalam alaikum.

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Al Jazeera: The Libyan National Council (opposition based in Benghazi) says it may not pursue Gaddafi for crimes if he gives up power

DPA: Arming Libyan rebels a possibility, White House says