marrriage advice

theonlystar

:salam2:

I am married last 6 months, thanks Allah.

the prob, i am a deaf but can talk in english but cant speak in pakistan and my wife from Pakistan and does not speak in English very well but we are happy, thanks Allah. we will take ourtime to speak in same laugenge.

She is confindent , happy and kind to talk but i am worried about her because i have 2 brothers and cousins (boys) who can speaks in english and pakistani. maybe my wife likes to talk them rather than me. my brothers and cousins seem interesting in her because her talking is very good. we live in a same house and my wife will coming to england very soon. how can i expalin to her not to talk to my brothers....she might think i am jealous...? but i dont mind if she talks to her cousins side (boys) in Pakistan because they knows each other long time. they were a bit like brother and sister.

How can i expalin to her not talk to my brothers and cousins (boys)?

She is new and beauiful but covered her head.

i dont want her think i'm jealous or bad.

:wasalam:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member

Welcome to TTI brother,

Alhamdulillaah brother, may you have a happy and healthy marriage, may Allaah (swt) help you both live a honourable life according to the teachings of Islaam insha'Allaah.

I can provide you with some rulings regarding this matter and then insha'Allaah you can inform her and your relatives a bit of it. May Allaah (swt) help you and keep you firm in His Deen.

Mixing or travelling with the husband's brother​

Question:
1. What is the position of a woman when her husband invites his brother to dinner, does she eat dinner with them, can she serve him?
2. Is the husbands brother maharam, can she travel with him?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

A wife is permitted to serve her husband and his guests if she is wearing complete hijaab and nothing of her body can be seen. She is also permitted to sit with them so long as there is no sitting alone with one non-mahram* man, wanton display or other cause of temptation involved.

As far as eating with them is concerned, if this involves uncovering some part of her body, then she should not eat with them.

2. The husband's brother is not a mahram. The various types of mahram have been described in the Qur'aan, and this matter has already been explained under question # 316. On this basis, it is not permitted for her to travel with him.

In view of the seriousness of the matter of non-mahram men, especially the husband's relatives, entering upon women, and the fact that so many people take this matter lightly, there follow a few words of important advice:

Warning against non-mahram relatives entering upon women in the absence of their husbands

Some homes are not free of the presence of relatives of the husband who are not mahrams of his wife. They may be living with him for a number of reasons, such as brothers who are students or bachelors. These men enter the house without there being any sense of something strange, because they are known to the neighbours as relatives of the head of the household. The neighbours know that this is a brother, or nephew or uncle. This casual approach leads to many immoral deeds that earn the wrath of Allaah because the limits that He has prescribed are not being adhered to. The basic principle in this matter should be the hadeeth of the Prophet
saws.gif
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): "Beware of entering upon women." A man of the Ansaar asked, "O Messenger of Allaah, what do you think about the brother-in-law?" He said, "The brother-in-law is death."
(Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath al-Baari, 9/330)

Al-Nawawi, may Allaah have mercy on him, said: This hadeeth refers to all the relatives of the husband apart from his father and sons, who are mahrams for the wife and she is allowed to be alone with them; they are not described as "death." It refers to the brother, nephew, uncle, cousin and other relatives of the husband whom she would be permitted to marry if she were not already married. Because people customarily treat this matter so lightly, and a man may sit alone with his brother's wife, the brother-in-law is likened to death, and he is the foremost among non-mahram men who should be prevented from doing so.

The expression "the brother-in-law is death" may have a number of meanings, such as the following:
  • That being alone with a brother-in-law may lead to religious doom if it results in sin.
  • That it may lead to actual death if an immoral deed is committed that dictates the punishment of stoning.
  • That it may spell disaster for the woman if her husband's jealousy leads to divorce.
  • That you should fear being alone with a non-mahram woman as much as you fear death.
  • That being alone with a non-mahram woman is as terrible as death.
All of this stems from the fact that Islam wants to preserve families and households, and prevent anything that could lead to their destruction. What do you say now, after hearing the warning of the Prophet
saws.gif
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about those husbands who say to their wives: "If my brother comes and I am not here, show him into the sitting-room" or a woman who says to a male visitor: "Go into the sitting room" - when there is no-one else present in the house?

To those who take the idea of trustworthiness as an excuse, and say things like, "I trust my wife and I trust my brother or my cousin," we say: do not trust too much and do not doubt too much, but know that the hadeeth "No man sits alone with a (non-mahram) woman, but the Shaytaan is the third among them"
(reported by al-Tirmidhi, 1171) includes both the most righteous of people as well as the most immoral of people, and that Islam makes no exceptions whatsoever in such reports.

A real problem

This is the problem: a man marries a woman and brings her to his family's home, where she lives happily with him, then his younger brother starts to enter upon her when her husband is absent, and they begin to talk in an affectionate or even passionate manner. This leads to two things: she begins to detest her husband, and grows attached to his brother, but she cannot divorce her husband, or do what she wants to with the other. This is the grievous torment. This story represents one aspect of corruption, besides which are other kinds which reach the level of immoral sexual conduct and illegitimate children.

In answer to the second question, a woman is not permitted to travel with her husband's brother, who is not her mahram, because the Prophet
saws.gif
(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "A woman should not travel unless she is with a mahram, and no man should enter upon a woman unless she has a mahram with her."
(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 1729). Among the conditions of a mahram for travel purposes are: he should be someone whom she is permanently forbidden to marry, such as her grandfather, father, brother, paternal uncle, nephew, etc. And Allaah knows best.

* Translator's note: "mahram" refers to a blood-relative to whom marriage is permanently forbidden, such as a woman's father, brother, son, uncle, etc.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Question #316 there partialy, (on who is mahram):

The ulamaa’ have listed five conditions for a person to be considered a mahram. He should be male, Muslim, adult, and of sound mind, and he should be a relative to whom marriage is permanently forbidden, such as a father, brother, paternal uncle, maternal uncle, father in law, mother’s husband or brother through radaa’ah (breastfeeding), etc. (as opposed to relatives to whom marriage is temporarily forbidden, such as a sister’s husband, paternal aunt’s husband, maternal aunt’s husband).

On this basis, the husband’s brother and the son of a paternal or maternal uncle are not mahrams, so it is not permitted for her to travel with them. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

haleema 2

muslimah 2
:muslim_child: :salam2: :blackhijab: Salam brother i also have a deaf brother and ha is also married from pakistan he has been married for some time and i think what u are feeling is very normal you think because you cant speak speak the same language she will prefer to speak to your brothers that shudnt be the case though and in my opinion if you say to her she cant talk to your brothers she may take it the wrong way as there is nothing wrong with that as long as she does not talk to them alone or when she is not covered also you may need them to help you both to understand each other and i think you must explain to her gently that she must not talk to any ghair mahram alone or without being covered including your brothers snd her cousins but you should do this really gently because you dont want to make her feel like you dont trust her anyway tats just my opinion i hope it all works out for you

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum.

Perhaps it could be easier for you if you ask your brothers and cousins to not talk to her as much - you've known them a lot longer than you've known your wife I'm assuming. Salam alaikum.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
By telling her it is haram! Because you want her to practise Islam

Precisely, but Tell her nicely. Firstly , u can start by telling her how much u love her and want her to be the best muslima ever possible... Tell her u are obligated to tell her what she has done wrong ...

Then tell her it is wrong to do this or that in a very soft tone ...that will soften her heart and inshAllah evrything will work out well...

U also might want to start with auzubillah himinashhaitan nirrajim.....n bismillah to dispel the shaitan that might try to whisper to u or her and thus creating an arguement

i make dua that both u n her n ur relatives n family will be in jannah...and ur marriage will last to end of ur time

theonlystar

Salam alaikum.

Perhaps it could be easier for you if you ask your brothers and cousins to not talk to her as much - you've known them a lot longer than you've known your wife I'm assuming. Salam alaikum.

IF I TELL THEM, THEY WILL LAUGH AND WILL FEEL SORRY FOR ME.

muhammad.abdullah

A word of advice

Brother, i used to be the part of the same society where your wife comes from and i detest of that society in full because it is more traditional than being religious. I am not trying to hurt you or insulting your wife in anyway, inshallah. Dont take me wrong.

I have a solution if you would consider. How practising are you? If you pray 5 times a day and try following other tenets of islam then subhanallah. If you dont then start right away. Ok, the next step is that tell your wife that you want to start a life with blessings of Allah and you want both of you to start practising and progressing day by day. In that way you could start doing one sunnah every day and in this way you wont have to tell anyone to stop as you will on your way to stopping anything that goes against islam. I hope it works and that you understan it fully.

Jazakallah brother, if somehow, you dont comprehend what i have written then plz pm me.

Pray for me if you will because i am looking for a pious muslimah, to marry, myself.

:wasalam:

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaamu Alaykum

IF I TELL THEM, THEY WILL LAUGH AND WILL FEEL SORRY FOR ME.

Allah knows best brother, you have to be patient and stay firm...

Brother just tell her the truth, tell her how you feel and how it hurts when she talks to your brothers and cousins. Make Dua to Allah to help you and make it easy for you, so they may understand. If she understands and loves you she will stop communicating with them, she will obey her husband which is good SubhanAllah. Bro learn about marriage in islam and teach her too. Learn together and pray together SubhanAllah this way she will grow closer to you....the more time you spend with her the less time she will spend with them.

I feel for a married couple they should move out and live separate, especially when you have your brothers living there and cousins too. I know this can be difficult for some people financially or many other reasons, but islamically i feel this should be done, as your wife should not be in the same room as your brothers alone because they are non-mahram to her....it happens more than often....this happens alot in society and people think its no biggie...

Insha-Allah these few links will help you become a good husband...

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4985

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10225

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9091

wasalam

theonlystar

OK BROTHERS AND SISTERS, HOW CAN I EXPLAIN TO HER? WE HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER BUT WE ARE VERY HAPPY. WE DO PRAY 5 TIMES A DAY, READ THE QURAN EVERY DAY, PAY POOR PEOPLE. I KNOW SHE IS MORE RELIGOUS THAN ME.

WAT SHOULD I SAY TO HER IN NICE WAY WITHOUT AGRUEMENT.

IF SHE DISAGREE...WAT SHALL I DO?

najbc

Assalamu alaykum,

I pray for you and your wife;

The best advice I would give to you is to find nice house for yourself and wide and really explain to her how much you really would like to learn her language and it is hard for you. I believe both of you will understand each other better. Partner should be best friends and are for life. You teach her how to speak English. I hope it works out for you both.

:tti_sister:

uk_brother786

OK BROTHERS AND SISTERS, HOW CAN I EXPLAIN TO HER? WE HARDLY KNOW EACH OTHER BUT WE ARE VERY HAPPY. WE DO PRAY 5 TIMES A DAY, READ THE QURAN EVERY DAY, PAY POOR PEOPLE. I KNOW SHE IS MORE RELIGOUS THAN ME.

WAT SHOULD I SAY TO HER IN NICE WAY WITHOUT AGRUEMENT.

IF SHE DISAGREE...WAT SHALL I DO?

Look mate, just listen to wat theonlystar said, he said how can he expalin to her in nice way. forget other reason, just help him, he is deaf. he does care for his wife. c'mon sisters, you all women not helping him, help him.

heartbeat

you are really sick

some muslims astonish me... i have been thinking about the delima of this brother.. between people who are being slaughtered.. wars.. famine.. and all the calamities that befall the muslims world and his only concern is how to prevent his wife from talking to his brothers...
i would seriously be ashamed of myself to ask this question...

call me cave man if you want....

ShyHijabi

some muslims astonish me... i have been thinking about the delima of this brother.. between people who are being slaughtered.. wars.. famine.. and all the calamities that befall the muslims world and his only concern is how to prevent his wife from talking to his brothers...

Sigh...I was wondering how long it would take before this happened. ONe should never be ashamed of asking a question...rather one should be ashamed for remianing silent in their ignorance. Of course there are serious events happening around the world and we are all concerned about them. But we are talking about a relationship between a husband and a wife and that is very important to this brother. PLease leave your judgement at the door....we are supposed to be supportive of our fellow Muslims...not tear them down.

Brother Theonlystar,

I don't think it's fair of you to try and tell your new wife that she cannot talk to members of your family. If she is properly covered, and in the presence of you, then it should not be an issue. I do think you should try to schedule a lot of one on one time between the two of you to further stengthen and solidify your love and devotion for each other. Be gentle and kind, tell her how much she means to you...how prescious she is to you. Wives need to hear these word from their husbands...and often. You are garments unto each other...a protection ....may Allah increase your love and happiness with each other. Waslaam.

~Sarah

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

call me cave man if you want....

:astag:

The only thing which astonishes me is the attitude with which you have come here with. There is no need to be so rude, if you do not have anything useful to say, it's best to remain silent.

wasalam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Sigh...I was wondering how long it would take before this happened. ONe should never be ashamed of asking a question...rather one should be ashamed for remianing silent in their ignorance. Of course there are serious events happening around the world and we are all concerned about them. But we are talking about a relationship between a husband and a wife and that is very important to this brother. PLease leave your judgement at the door....we are supposed to be supportive of our fellow Muslims...not tear them down.

Brother Theonlystar,

I don't think it's fair of you to try and tell your new wife that she cannot talk to members of your family. If she is properly covered, and in the presence of you, then it should not be an issue. I do think you should try to schedule a lot of one on one time between the two of you to further stengthen and solidify your love and devotion for each other. Be gentle and kind, tell her how much she means to you...how prescious she is to you. Wives need to hear these word from their husbands...and often. You are garments unto each other...a protection ....may Allah increase your love and happiness with each other. Waslaam.

~Sarah

I agree with you 100% Sister. Welcome to the real world heartbeat.

In addition to what ShyHijabi mentioned, I would like to recommend a book that is very valuable in husband-and-wife relationships:

Men Are from Mars Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex

by John Gray

This book has helped men and women realize how different they really are and how to communicate their needs in such a way that conflict doesn’t arise and intimacy is given every chance to grow.

umm hussain

Walaikum salam warahmatullah

I don't think the problem entirely lies with your wife speaking to your brothers and cousins. It is very difficult to ignore people who live in the same house. the solution to the problem is finding your own place to live. Whilst you are living in the same house and she observes hijab then let her speak to them but as long as the talk isnt too unnecessary and just carries on for no reason, e.g chatting and laughing etc. Rather ask your brothers and cousins not to speak to her as well because imagine one day she is talking to them and the next she isnt they might think there is something wrong or vice versa but if you have to explain, explain to your wife as well as your brother so that there isnt unnecessary tension and conflict.

It seems like you are a bit jealous and think they will make a move on her and she might like them more. try your best not to be suspicious as this brings tension and negative thoughts. She is with you for a reason if she didnt want to be with you I doubt she would be married to you

justoneofmillion

assalamu aleikum brother, good luck to you i wanted to post something but i don`t wanna get yelled at! however brother instead of telling her that you love her show her first bro! with all the means you must somehow be able to arrive to the point where you don`t need to hide certain things from your wife . be respectful and sweet but straight and clear at the same time through your acts and then talk am sure she will listen she must feel your presence and learn to know what you like and dislike instinctivly it takes some time but may allah swt help you inschallah

wassalam

SINDBAD