She says I'm "too strict" a Muslim...

DanyalSAC

(If this should be in the Brothers Only area I apologize; feel free to move it if so).

Asalaamu alaikum

I've been talking to a sister in another country. I thought things were going OK until I suggested we make arrangements for me to meet her.

She wrote me a very long email saying she feels I may be "too strict". She listed examples such as me fearing riba (I am wanting to get out of my mortgage), me not listening to music, and that I am strict about hijab (I would rather my wife not wear pants outside the house - let alone stretch pants). She was even bothered when I asked if her father was OK with us emailing (I've talked to other sisters online before about marriage and their walis were ALWAYS copied in the emails, with this sister he wasn't).

The brothers at my masjid told me that had a woman told them what she told me they would be flattered. And that they would probably move on.

Should I compromise my principles? She describes herself as a "moderate" Muslim. I am just Sunni - and obey the Sunnah as I am taught to.

I'm not quite sure which way to go here.

FreedomFighter

:wasalam:

there is nothing wrong with what you are doing (fearing riba, not listening to music, etc), and you are not too strict. you sure need someone that will help you get better in your faith, not someone that would go opposite in what you say, especially if it comes to religion. may God keep you even stronger in faith.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Brother you are doing teh right thing and please do not sacrifice ur iman for anyone.Perhaps she is not good enough for you.There is no such thing as moderate muslim and we must sacrfice our iman for others.
You are such a wonderful muslim and please search a woman who can take you to jannah.a solehah woman will never complaint to all the above things.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Should I compromise my principles? She describes herself as a "moderate" Muslim. I am just Sunni - and obey the Sunnah as I am taught to.

Walaikumsalaam waa rahmatullahi dear brother,

Masha'Allah wa Alhumdulillah.. that's what I will say first because you have given importance to important topics with regards to Deen while looking for a spouse.

The fact that you don't want to indulge in riba and listen to music is praiseworthy. You are avoiding the haraam and seeking the pleasure of your creator. :)

Also, by stating that you would want your life companion to practice Islam inwardly and outwardly is commendable too. I think Hijab is something that shouldn't be taken lightly and it is obligatory on the women folk.

Though I have no experience in communicating with a potential spouse, I would like to share with you what I think you could possibly do.

You could explain the sister that we should live our lives as prescribed by Allah subhanawa tallah and try to adhere to as much of the Quran and Sunnah as we can. In this lies our true success in this life and in the Akhirah Insha'Allah.

Plus if you haven't already, you could show proof from Quran and Sunnah to the sister, showing her that whatever 'haraam' you are avoiding is following the Sunnah and the Quran, and not from your personal ideas/preferences. Also, you could do the same for Hijab.

This would benefit the sister Insha'Allah. Even if things dont materialize between you both, atleast the sister would have knowledge of the above mentioned. She might eventually understand where you are coming from and change her 'moderate muslim' stance.

And lastly, I would encourage you to make Salatul Istikarah. Because we (humans) can only advise you from our minuscule knowledge and wisdom that Allah swt has bestowed upon us. But seeking the guidance of Allah swt is what is needed in such an important matter.

May Allah swt bless you with a pious and righteous wife. Ameen

Wasalaamalikum waa rahmatulallhi

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

meaning of strictness varies frm person to person. for a girl who wear jeans, hijab is strictness. for girl to wear hijab, niqab is strictness. etc..etc.

yes u r right in following sunnah...we cant miss 5 times prayer, we cant eat in ramadan fasting, we cant eat prok, we cant drink alcohol....for westerners we are *extremist*, *rigid*.....but we cant compromise our principles.

so brother...dont compromise on ur Islamic principles. Allah's pleasure and Jannah are not a thing to compromise with.

riba and music are not things which are allowed and you want to be away frm them. they are bad things esp. riba.

explain to her about Allah and Islam and choose ur life-partner wisely. a muslim think wisely, take good muslims advice and then put his trust in Allah.

BinteShafi

Left long ago
:salam2:

I hate this moderate muslim term. In fact these people are cafeteria Muslims...who follow only those teachings of Islam which they like and are easy for them to follow and leave others..........

Allah has made us MUSLIMS and asked us to submit ourselves COMPLETELY.

Perhaps I am angry at this moment...but such people (moderate...in their own view........) ususally make me angry.

Wa Allaho A'alam...

sarahlou

Maybe she isn't the one for you bro. I would not compromise your Iman for a woman and you deserve better. Insha Allah you will find someone that compliments you. Insha Allah you will find a sister that is not worried about this dunya, but is worried about going to jannah. Salam :hijabi:

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:salam2:
there is nothing wrong with what you follow.it's her who's wrong.following islam whole and complete is not what these moderates call extremisim. :hijabi:

revert2007

Love Fishing
Maybe she isn't the one for you bro. I would not compromise your Iman for a woman and you deserve better. Insha Allah you will find someone that compliments you. Insha Allah you will find a sister that is not worried about this dunya, but is worried about going to jannah. Salam :hijabi:

I love you so much for the sake of Allah :):hearts::hearts:

nblueblaze

A Brother
(If this should be in the Brothers Only area I apologize; feel free to move it if so).

Asalaamu alaikum

I've been talking to a sister in another country. I thought things were going OK until I suggested we make arrangements for me to meet her.

She wrote me a very long email saying she feels I may be "too strict". She listed examples such as me fearing riba (I am wanting to get out of my mortgage), me not listening to music, and that I am strict about hijab (I would rather my wife not wear pants outside the house - let alone stretch pants). She was even bothered when I asked if her father was OK with us emailing (I've talked to other sisters online before about marriage and their walis were ALWAYS copied in the emails, with this sister he wasn't).

The brothers at my masjid told me that had a woman told them what she told me they would be flattered. And that they would probably move on.

Salaam,

Well, I am not a perfect Muslim and my level of Iman fluctuates like crazy...sometimes it goes to a very high level... particularly during the Ramadan and sometimes its dips to record level low...when I am in crisis (emotionally, not financially!)...currently my Iman level has gone down low...I shouldn't be giving advice rather should be hearing them a lot but really couldn't help stopping myself from replying to your post...cz the problem you are facing right now is very very similar among young or new muslims.

I assure you your decision of coming out mortgage is very sane...there is absolutely wrong in this...Islam speaks against mortgage, thats the beauty of Islam...people who have mortgage generally pays compound interest to the bank hence end up weakening their financial foundation to a great extent.

I seriously don't recommend, but if you have a very weak credit history in your country do consider remaining in mortgage if and only if you can (and will) pay the monthly instalments on time...its a clever way to boost your credit history which enables you to easily get a loan, credit card etc. Again, I seriously dont recommend this my brother!

Well, when I was in the undergrad college I was very very religious...read a lot of books on Islam...infact I was literally addicted to reading about Islam...a good addiction...somewhere I read (cant recollect the name of the book) it said "never go overboard with your religion" ...the book said with reference to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that the belief is your heart, manners is your sunnah, your manners should never be so extreme that it upsets a fellow muslim/any human being...being over-zealous harms the Islamic community...

a classic example can be drawn from Hadith of Sahih Bukhari...Prophet Mohd (pbuh) came to the tent of Aisha and lie down on the bed, two slave girls were playing musical instruments and singing... neither he nor Aisha asked them to stop...Abu Bakr came to the tent and was furious...he told the two slave girls to shut up and commented in surprise "What! instruments of shaitan(evil) near Prophet?!!!"; Prophet asked him to cool down and downplayed the whole incident.

Please understand why Prophet himself told us not listen to music but on the contrary himself didnt ask the two slave girls to stop singing/playing...thinking logically it makes perfect sense! Prophet Mohd (pbuh) didnt really forbid us to listen to music at all...rather he asked us not waste valuable time in listening to music and missing prayers...in other words give due importance to Prayers and your work...I dont think listening to music in your free time (at leisure) harms a muslim in any way...being a muslim I listen to music..mostly western rock but I am a selective listener for example I dont listen to rap (specially eminem) since it contains haraam language...Yousuf Islam sang a lot...beautiful songs...does that mean that he is not a muslim?

Bottom line is its not music but its its your taste and the time which dictates whether you listening to music is a haraam activity or not.

I dont want to comment on women wearing hijab due to personal reasons.

Your inclination on copying the relatives of a girl in the email exchanges is absolutely fine...it makes sense...but not all women are alike and generally like to create an own space hence are fiercely protective about their privacy...I am afraid, western muslim girls are very independent minded and would not generally appreciate such a formal communication...

Please understand whatever I said in this post are my own opinions only and many people would not generally agree with my point of view.

Jazakallahu-kahairun.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
brother your not doing anything wrong..what ever your doing , and sacrifising is only for allah!..so allah is by your side, everything will be alright!..i appreciate you for this bro...i also dont think so, that she is your type of girl....
inshallah! allah loves you and will love you..

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum brother

you are not doing wrong, you are on the right path, stay sturdy on your deen and Inshallah you will find the one thats meant for you, nothing is worth sacrificing your deen.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Salaam,

Well, I am not a perfect Muslim and my level of Iman fluctuates like crazy...sometimes it goes to a very high level... particularly during the Ramadan and sometimes its dips to record level low...when I am in crisis (emotionally, not financially!)...currently my Iman level has gone down low...I shouldn't be giving advice rather should be hearing them a lot but really couldn't help stopping myself from replying to your post...cz the problem you are facing right now is very very similar among young or new muslims.

I assure you your decision of coming out mortgage is very sane...there is absolutely wrong in this...Islam speaks against mortgage, thats the beauty of Islam...people who have mortgage generally pays compound interest to the bank hence end up weakening their financial foundation to a great extent.

I seriously don't recommend, but if you have a very weak credit history in your country do consider remaining in mortgage if and only if you can (and will) pay the monthly instalments on time...its a clever way to boost your credit history which enables you to easily get a loan, credit card etc. Again, I seriously dont recommend this my brother!

Well, when I was in the undergrad college I was very very religious...read a lot of books on Islam...infact I was literally addicted to reading about Islam...a good addiction...somewhere I read (cant recollect the name of the book) it said "never go overboard with your religion" ...the book said with reference to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that the belief is your heart, manners is your sunnah, your manners should never be so extreme that it upsets a fellow muslim/any human being...being over-zealous harms the Islamic community...

a classic example can be drawn from Hadith of Sahih Bukhari...Prophet Mohd (pbuh) came to the tent of Aisha and lie down on the bed, two slave girls were playing musical instruments and singing... neither he nor Aisha asked them to stop...Abu Bakr came to the tent and was furious...he told the two slave girls to shut up and commented in surprise "What! instruments of shaitan(evil) near Prophet?!!!"; Prophet asked him to cool down and downplayed the whole incident.

Please understand why Prophet himself told us not listen to music but on the contrary himself didnt ask the two slave girls to stop singing/playing...thinking logically it makes perfect sense! Prophet Mohd (pbuh) didnt really forbid us to listen to music at all...rather he asked us not waste valuable time in listening to music and missing prayers...in other words give due importance to Prayers and your work...I dont think listening to music in your free time (at leisure) harms a muslim in any way...being a muslim I listen to music..mostly western rock but I am a selective listener for example I dont listen to rap (specially eminem) since it contains haraam language...Yousuf Islam sang a lot...beautiful songs...does that mean that he is not a muslim?

Bottom line is its not music but its its your taste and the time which dictates whether you listening to music is a haraam activity or not.

I dont want to comment on women wearing hijab due to personal reasons.

Your inclination on copying the relatives of a girl in the email exchanges is absolutely fine...it makes sense...but not all women are alike and generally like to create an own space hence are fiercely protective about their privacy...I am afraid, western muslim girls are very independent minded and would not generally appreciate such a formal communication...

Please understand whatever I said in this post are my own opinions only and many people would not generally agree with my point of view.

Jazakallahu-kahairun.

As salaamu 'alaikkum akhi. I understand you were trying to give your "own" opinions, but as muslims we must refrain from saying things which we have no knowledge about, and I really advise you to do so brother. Whatever the case is, there is no reason for a person to have mortgage, it is infact playing around with hell fire. It is clearly indicated in the Qur'aan that Allah T'ala and His rasool will wage war against the person who indulges himself in riba, and these "moderate muslims" who say that mortgage is O.K, while they have come across the evidences that speak against riba, are following nothing but their desires. As for what you said about Music, then you must know that this matter is a matter in which there is ijmaa' (scholarly consensus), and a matter upon which the sahabah have agreed upon, that it is haraam.

Imam al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: No one has any right whatsoever to say that something is halaal or haraam except on the basis of knowledge, and the basis of knowledge is a text in the Qur’aan or Sunnah, or ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) or qiyaas (analogy).

The evidences are clear, and my brother all the scholars know of the hadith in which the two girls sang etc... and this was known to the scholars.

As for the hadith that is clear about the prohibtion of Music is...

Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91). "

This hadeeth indicates in two ways that musical instruments and enjoyment of listening to music are haraam. The first is the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “[they] permit” which clearly indicates that the things mentioned, including musical instruments, are haraam according to sharee’ah, but those people will permit them. The second is the fact that musical instruments are mentioned alongside things which are definitely known to be haraam, i.e., zinaa and alcohol: if they (musical instruments) were not haraam, why would they be mentioned alongside these things? (adapted from al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 1/140-141)

As for what you asked brother danyasac, is that alhamdulillah you have done something that is good, and May Allah T'ala reward you for your intentions and bless you with a person much better, ameen. Remember brother that when you leave something for the sake of Allah, then Allah will bless you with something much better. Remember the person you choose as your wife is very very important, because your life could be ruined because of a woman, or at the same time your life could be frutiful because of a woman. And the result of your life as a muslim depends on the type of wife you have :) So make a very wise decision when picking your wife. Remember the hadith the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Women may be married for four things: their wealth, their lineage, their beauty and their religious commitment. Choose the one who is religiously-committed, may your hands be rubbed with dust (i.e., may your prosper).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5090; Muslim, 1466.

‘Abd al-‘Azeem Abaadi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

What this means is that a man who is religiously committed and of noble character should make religion his focus in all things, especially with regard to long-term matters. So the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined finding a wife who is religiously committed, which is the ultimate goal.

“may your hands be rubbed with dust” is urging him to strive hard and roll up his sleeves and seek that which is enjoined.

I hope I have not offended either one of you in shaAllah.

Take care and :salam2:

a_stranger

It was narrated that the Prophet :saw2: said, “A woman is wed for four things; for her wealth, for her family, for her beauty, for her religion. Seize the religious one so that you may succeed.”

Prophet Mohammed brought it to the front by saying, “Seize the religious one so that you may succeed.” As if the Prophet is saying that a woman is wed according to intellect and instinctive standards, but according to the criteria of religion, she is wed for her religiousness first then followed by other human considerations such as her beauty, wealth and family. It is a supplication of the Prophet – peace be upon him – and a wise one as it is a traditional supplication, but thanks to Allah, the Almighty and Exalted, the impacts of the Prophet's supplications are continuous.

http://www.islam.gov.kw/eng/meet_consult/details.php?data_id=169

nblueblaze

A Brother
[

[/QUOTE]

Salaam,

No you haven't offended me...There is absolutely no question of being offended...Its always beneficial to learn correct Islamic ways of life...Thanks for explaining in details...

Jazakallahu-khairun

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
[

Salaam,

No you haven't offended me...There is absolutely no question of being offended...Its always beneficial to learn correct Islamic ways of life...Thanks for explaining in details...

Jazakallahu-khairun[/QUOTE]

May Allah reward you, ameen

hana*

firstly nblueblaze, please do not shorten the name of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (saas). secondly, there are numerous ahadeeth and verses in the quran to state that music is forbidden. by this i mean music with uses musical instruments (except for the daff-a type of drum). the Prophet (saas) did say that music sprouts hypocrisy from the hearts just as water sprouts plants from the ground. yusuf islam did not use musical insturments, but rather his voice and all his Music is on islam, not like the mainstream music of today, which is all about drugs, sex, alcohol etc... i wish we would not give our own fatwas on whats halal and haraam, but rather resort to the quran and sunnah.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Your friends are 100% right. if a woman described you as such, say Alhamdulillah that at least she's not rejecting you for being disobedient to Allah. she's rejecting because you are obeying him. she's not worth it, not even a little - LET HER GO. that's my suggestion. find another that will actually be happy about who you are as a Muslim. not some girl who wants you to be "modern". and trust me, today's translation of Modern will give you no good definition - it just means bad news. take care. wasalamu alaikum.