The Beard

inquizator

Alykum Salam

Oh how well do our eyes betray us.
I have a beard and would not think of cutting it off, but is not a beard more sunna and if so, then is not the Sunna preformed in ones heart and actions far more important than appearances. A long beard does not necessarily make a good heart as clothes do not make the rich man.
Have a man of obvious welth travel through town and no one knows he's an Idiot, yet people will flock to him hoping of personal gain, when the wisest, most pious man around can travel through the same town dressed in rags and he'll be not treated the same.
None but Allah(swt) can judge - Period. We can assume but we're usually incorrect with out presumptions.
I would prefer a Good man without a beard than a man fully dressed Muslim and not have a good heart.
None except Allah(swt) knows who's a good Muslim or even Muslim or not.
Positive thoughts are far better than finding fault.

It is good and proper to have a full beard.

Yet I know several Muslim surgeons and they do not sport beards, I think it's medical necessity.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

As a person decides to run closer to Allah subhana wa taala he does that which has been determined to be the behavior of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. It is a quiet and individual choice. Noone can make you practice it.
Allah subhana wa taala is True to His Word.

Once we are given knowledge..our responsibility is to practice it. We do it to please Allah subhana wa taala.

We can not judge the hearts of others..but, once we decide to please Allah subhana wa taala..well we really can not do anything else.

So grow a bread..end of subject...I mean come on now..this is one small step...think of the spiritual leap for the soul to submit.. We all wish we were in the time of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him.

Tomtom

Banned
Brother, beard is part of the Sunnah. He commanded the Muslims to GROW the beard and trim the mustache. If you don't want to grow one then that's fine but please do go saying something is not from Islam when it clearly is.

And please don't go saying "who wants to listen to them", the scholars are inheirtors of the Prophets for the Prophets leave nothing behind but knowledge. The Prophet (S) himself commanded to seek knowledge from the learned men (meaning scholars). Do not belittle our bearers of Knowledge, they have much higher status in the sight of Allah then you or I. Until you spend minimum 5 years studying Islam at a reputable institution, you do not even qualify to give your islamic opinion on an issue. Same goes for all of us.

As for the thread title, it is incorrect to name the thread as such. You can be beardless or hijabless and still be a Muslim. This form of dawah is incorrect way to go about it and will only put others off.

Only place where such a title would fit is the salaah. "Are you really a Muslim" would go there because there are numerous hadith with agreement of the scholars that one who abandons Islam is not a Muslim.

Sorry I disagree, a learned person has no superiority over me or anybody else who is not learned. Everybody is asked to seek the truth personally, therefore, it is a personal journey. What the knowledgeable knows that knowledge is just for him, as he/she is a human being there is a danger that he/she will be in error no matter how good he/she sounds or knowledgeable.

Therefore, I ask everyone to seek their own knowledge and not to follow any Sheikh or scholar. We are all given intellect and reasoning, all the answers are in the Holy Qur'an and in the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). All you have to do is seek, He said that He will give knowledge to those who SEEK. Do not follow blindly any human being.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother..

No..seeking your own knowledge can be very dangerous. And are we not told that the ink of a scholar...fill in the blanks.

Yes, we must use our sense and not be blind followers..but we have precedents of over a thousand years of exact scholarship to follow.

Exact scholarship leads to fine acumen. The sharpened senses help us to understand our purpose better.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Therefore, I ask everyone to seek their own knowledge and not to follow any Sheikh or scholar. We are all given intellect and reasoning, all the answers are in the Holy Qur'an and in the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). All you have to do is seek, He said that He will give knowledge to those who SEEK. Do not follow blindly any human being.

When you have 1/3 of the knowledge that of a scholar then come talk to us. Your way will only lead to deviance and misguidance.

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah created man and provided him with the tools for acqruiring knowledge, namely hearing, sigh tand wisdom. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And Allâh has brought you out from the wombs of your mothers while you know nothing. And He gave you hearing, sight, and hearts that you might give thanks (to Allâh) [al-Nahl 16:78]

Islam is the religion of knowledge. The first aayah of the Qur’aan to be revealed enjoined reading which is the key to knowledge. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists).

He has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).

Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.

Who has taught (the writing) by the pen.

He has taught man that which he knew not”

[al-‘Alaq 96:1-5]

In Islam, knowledge comes before action; there can be no action without knowledge, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So know (O Muhammad) that Laa ilaaha ill-Allâh (none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh), and ask forgiveness for your sin, and also for (the sin of) believing men and believing women” [Muhammad 47:19]

Allaah warns every Muslim against speaking without knowledge, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not, or witness not) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily, the hearing, and the sight, and the heart of each of those ones will be questioned (by Allâh)” [al-Israa’ 17:36]

Emphasizing the status of knowledge and the scholars, Allaah calls upon the scholars to bear witness to His Oneness, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allâh bears witness that Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), and the angels, and those having knowledge (also give this witness); (He always) maintains His creation in justice. Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All‑Mighty, the All-Wise”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:18]

Knowledge and fear of Allaah may be attained by knowing His signs and creation. The knowledgeable are those who know that, hence Allaah praises them by saying (interpretation of the meaning):

“It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allâh” [Faatir 35:28]

The scholars occupy a noble status in Islam, and which is higher than the position of others in this world and in the Hereafter. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allâh will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge” [al-Mujaadilah 58:11]

Because of the importance of knowledge, Allaah commanded His Messenger to seek more of it. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and say: ‘My Lord! Increase me in knowledge’” [Ta-Ha 20:114]

Allaah praises the scholars, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Are those who know equal to those who know not?’ It is only men of understanding who will remember (i.e. get a lesson from Allâh’s Signs and Verses)” [al-Zumar 39:9]

Those who have knowledge are the quickest of people to understand the truth and believe in it:

“And that those who have been given knowledge may know that it (this Qur’aan) is the truth from your Lord, so that they may believe therein, and their hearts may submit to it with humility” [al-Hajj 22:54 – interpretation of the meaning]

Islam calls us to seek knowledge. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made seeking knowledge an obligation upon every Muslim, and he explained that the superiority of the one who has knowledge over the one who merely worships is like the superiority of the moon over every other heavenly body. He said that the scholars are the heirs of the Prophets and that the Prophets did not leave behind dinars and dirhams (i.e., money), rather their inheritance was knowledge, so whoever acquires it has gained a great share. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that seeking knowledge is a way to Paradise. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allaah will make a path to Paradise easy for him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-‘Ilm, 10)

Islam calls us to learn all kinds of beneficial knowledge. Branches of knowledge vary in status, the highest of which is knowledge of sharee’ah, then knowledge of medicine, then the other fields of knowledge.

The best of all branches of knowledge are the sciences of sharee’ah through which man comes to know his Lord, and his [His?} Prophet and religion. This is the knowledge with which Allaah honoured His Messenger; He taught it to him so that he might teach it to mankind:

“Indeed, Allâh conferred a great favour on the believers when He sent among them a Messenger (Muhammad) from among themselves, reciting unto them His Verses (the Qur’ân), and purifying them (from sins by their following him), and instructing them (in) the Book (the Qur’aan) and Al‑Hikmah [the wisdom and the Sunnah of the Prophet (i.e. his legal ways, statements and acts of worship)], while before that they had been in manifest error” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:164 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wishes good for a person, He makes him understand the religion.” (Agreed upon. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 69)

Concerning the matter of paying attention to the Qur’aan and learning and teaching it, the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The best of you is the one who learns the Qur’aan and teaches it.” (Agreed upon. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4639)

There is no goodness in knowledge which is not confirmed by action, or words which are not confirmed by deeds:

“O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?

Most hateful it is with Allâh that you say that which you do not do”

[al-Saff :2-3]

The ummah needs knowledgeable people at all times and in all places. A nation without knowledge and scholars will live in illusions and sink in darkness. If a person knows what Allaah has prescribed ..?? {where does this go?} Whoever conceals this knowledge and deprives the ummah of it, Allaah will place on him a bridle of fire on the Day of Resurrection, and he will deserve to be cursed, except for the one who repents. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, those who conceal the clear proofs, evidences and the guidance, which We have sent down, after We have made it clear for the people in the Book, they are the ones cursed by Allâh and cursed by the cursers.

Except those who repent and do righteous deeds, and openly declare (the truth which they concealed). These, I will accept their repentance. And I am the One Who accepts repentance, the Most Merciful”

[al-Baqarah 2:159-160]

Knowledge brings a great reward. The one who points the way to something good is like the one who does it. When the knowledgeable person dies, his reward with Allaah does not cease when he dies, rather it continues to increase so long as people benefit from his knowledge. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a man dies, all his deeds come to an end except for three – an ongoing charity, beneficial knowledge or a righteous son who will pray for him.” (Narrated by Muslim, 1631)

If the scholar spreads his knowledge among the people, he will have a reward like that of those who follow him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever calls people to right guidance will have a reward like that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their reward in the slightest, and whoever calls people to misguidance will have a burden of sin like that of those who follow him, without it detracting from their burden in the slightest.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2674)

Proper understanding of Islam is one of the best of good characteristics with which a Muslim may be honoured, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wishes good for a person, He makes him understand the religion.” (Agreed upon).

Reading Qur’aan, learning it and teaching it, are among the best deeds, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There should be no envy (hasad) except between two people, a man to whom Allaah has given (knowledge of?) the Qur’aan, so he recites it night and day, and a man to whom Allaah has given wealth, so he spends it (in good deeds) night and day.” (narrated by Muslim, 815)

From Usool al-Deen al-Islami by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri
http://islamqa.info/en/ref/10471

Kakorot

Sorry I disagree, a learned person has no superiority over me or anybody else who is not learned. Everybody is asked to seek the truth personally, therefore, it is a personal journey. What the knowledgeable knows that knowledge is just for him, as he/she is a human being there is a danger that he/she will be in error no matter how good he/she sounds or knowledgeable.

I'm sorry but you just reverted how long ago? I don't think you're fit for giving such 'advice'.*!

We'd all be lost without scholars because say if we were not to learn from them, then everyone would be interpreting Qur'aan and hadith differently and they'd be so much conflict. Scholars learn about Islam in huge institutions for years and years. They learn/memorise the texts of Islam. They know the different interpretations and they have the authority to issue fatwas and have the duty to teach from the Qur'aan and sunnah, so how is that blind following?

If I was to learn how to pray, fast, give zakah, go hajj etc. sure the verses of the Qur'aan and hadith narrations are there, but scholars help by explaining how to do acts of worship further because they have studied in depth; unlike us. Tafseer of Qur'aan was even written by scholars and through tafseer, we can understand verses of the Qur'aan better. Scholars have dedicated their whole lives for Islam; whereas, we the ordinary folks have not.

Furthermore, scholars of the past have been tortured and killed for teaching Islam, our scholars have sacrificed a lot for the sake of knowledge - so please even if you don'g follow them, have a bit of respect for the way you talk about them. At the end of the day, you know how to pray, make wudhu etc. because of them.

mohammadyunus

MY ONLY PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD WAS TO INSTILL THAT EACH OF US LOVE EVERY SUNNAH OF OUR PROPHET AND ADOPT IT IN OUR LIVES REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE SOCIETY WOULD PERCIEVE.

Tomtom

Banned
FOR ISLAMERICA

I do not think much of Sheyk Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri because he is full of error. All the quotes that he has quoted are out of context.
Emphasizing the status of knowledge and the scholars, Allaah calls upon the scholars to bear witness to His Oneness, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allâh bears witness that Lâ ilâha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), and the angels, and those having knowledge (also give this witness); (He always) maintains His creation in justice. Laa ilaaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the All Mighty, the All-Wise”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:18]

* تفسير Tafsir al-Jalalayn
God bears witness, [that is to say] He has made it clear to His creation through proofs and signs, that there is no god, none that is truly worshipped in existence, except Him, He has borne witness to this, and the angels, [have also borne witness to this] by affirming it, and those of knowledge, from among the prophets and the believers, through [their] conviction and in words; upholding, constantly and uniquely maintaining His creations with justice, (qā’iman, ‘upholding’, is in the accusative because it is a circumstantial qualifier and is governed by the import of the statement [implied to be something like] tafarrada, ‘He alone is [upholding]…’); there is no god except Him (He has repeated it for emphasis); the Mighty, in His Kingdom, the Wise, in His actions.

In no way is that verse directed to or about scholars, the sheyk just put the word scholar there for his own benefit. Those of knowledge can be any human being who has been given knowledge or someone who uses their intellect to understand what they are reading.

The scholars occupy a noble status in Islam, and which is higher than the position of others in this world and in the Hereafter. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Allâh will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge” [al-Mujaadilah 58:11]

The scholars occupy a noble status in Islam? Those who believe and those who have been granted knowledge are not just scholars. It could be anyone.

Allaah praises the scholars, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Are those who know equal to those who know not?’ It is only men of understanding who will remember (i.e. get a lesson from Allâh’s Signs and Verses)” [al-Zumar 39:9]

Again the above verse is not comparing a scholar with a layman.

"Islam calls us to seek knowledge. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made seeking knowledge an obligation upon every Muslim, and he explained that the superiority of the one who has knowledge over the one who merely worships is like the superiority of the moon over every other heavenly body. He said that the scholars are the heirs of the Prophets and that the Prophets did not leave behind dinars and dirhams (i.e., money), rather their inheritance was knowledge, so whoever acquires it has gained a great share. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that seeking knowledge is a way to Paradise. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever follows a path in the pursuit of knowledge, Allaah will make a path to Paradise easy for him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-‘Ilm, 10) "

I’ve highlighted the obvious above, and regarding the words in quotes, it says whoever follows a path in the persuit…..so it could be an ordinary man that they are referring to.

Proper understanding of Islam is one of the best of good characteristics with which a Muslim may be honoured, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wishes good for a person, He makes him understand the religion.” (Agreed upon).

Again anybody who makes an effort to understand will be given knowledge. Millions of Muslims are scared to read the Holy Qur’an and interpret it for themselves which is a shame because this is the precise reason that it was just sheiks and scholars.

elqouds2020

muslim

As'alaamu Alaikkum

Show us either from the Holy Qur'an or Hadith where it says that a Muslim must have a beard.

essallamou allaikoum esque c'est indisponssable que le musulman doit etre barbu ou bien son comportement qu'il soit bien envers tous :ma::ma::ma:

elqouds2020

muslim

As'alaamu Alaikkum

Show us either from the Holy Qur'an or Hadith where it says that a Muslim must have a beard.

essallamou allaikoum esque is indisponssable that the Muslim must be bearded or well his behaviour any to all well
:ma::ma::ma:

Tomtom

Banned
FOR KAKAROT

We'd all be lost without scholars because say if we were not to learn from them, then everyone would be interpreting Qur'aan and hadith differently and they'd be so much conflict. Scholars learn about Islam in huge institutions for years and years. They learn/memorise the texts of Islam. They know the different interpretations and they have the authority to issue fatwas and have the duty to teach from the Qur'aan and sunnah, so how is that blind following?

For centuries people did not have the means to learn the Holy Qur’an. The Ordinary Muslim would go to the masjid, pray, possibly listen to a khutbah and then go home. The learning and knowledge was kept by the elite and called themselves sheiks an scholars. A person who learns Islam in huge institutions are prone to make mistakes as you or me. The authority to issue fatwas do not mean anything. The only reason that they do is because they are allowed to by the masses.

If I was to learn how to pray, fast, give zakah, go hajj etc. sure the verses of the Qur'aan and hadith narrations are there, but scholars help by explaining how to do acts of worship further because they have studied in depth; unlike us. Tafseer of Qur'aan was even written by scholars and through tafseer, we can understand verses of the Qur'aan better. Scholars have dedicated their whole lives for Islam; whereas, we the ordinary folks have not.

Same as the above reply.

Furthermore, scholars of the past have been tortured and killed for teaching Islam, our scholars have sacrificed a lot for the sake of knowledge - so please even if you don'g follow them, have a bit of respect for the way you talk about them. At the end of the day, you know how to pray, make wudhu etc. because of them.

OK scholars who have been tortured and killed are news to me, can you elaborate further? And regarding praying wudu etc not really because everything we need to know are in the Holy Qur’an and the Hadiths. They just put them together for our benefit.

esperanza

revert of many years
this thread seems to have descended in to argument,,,idont think it was meant in that way
but when someone makes a statement like "are you muslim" some reactions must be expected

yes of ourse we all try to folloow the prophets pbuh sunnah ,and live as close to his life as possible
but before we criticise someones faith by his wearing a beard or not we should think of other things

how many of us,..are kind to animals kind to neighbours,,good relations wiht all their relatives
treat thier wives with kindness and help them
humble in our actions and our speeh
always speak in quiet and dignified manner
never show arrogance and pride
are generous
speak only when necessary
are forgiving to those who hurt them

when we do all of thses things and many more which were the way the prophet pbuh led his life,,,then maybe you can judge someone by his looks

but you can nevwer know what is in his heart

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It is not a criticism.

Why do people get upset.

The brother stated it is in the interest of ones deen to grow a beard. It is sunna. Now why the defense wall. No-one can make you do it.

As for the love of seeking knowledge..common sense...Brother Tomtom take time to read the scholars.

Hatty

At first I did not want to take part in this thread. However, i have this question, I would like answered:

What is your evidence that NOT HAVING A BEARD takes you out of the fold of Islam?

Not having a beard makes me a disobedient Muslim. it does not take me out of Islam....Because I know I am sinning.....

When I reject this Sunnah Muakkada and I remove it from the teachings of Islam, then in this case, I will be a non-Muslim....because I changed the teaching of Islam....I put myself in place of Allah by doing so....

However, if I am not doing so, but I admit I am making a sin, then it is different....

The brother who posted this thread should edit their post and make some corrections.....

You should write it is a sin "Not to Have a Beard"....You should not write that you are not a Muslim if you do not have a beard.....unless you can present an evidence....

Allah knows best....

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Now we are getting somewhere.

It is an individual decision. We are given the blueprint. How we decide to follow the Path is our decision. But, we can not use the excuse we did not know. We can not claim ignorance of the law. That is between Allah and the individual.

However, it makes it easier on the community of Believers to recognize each other and build brotherhood. There is less need for seeking understanding.

No-one is going to be punished for lack of beard. No one should be questioned about lack of beard.

The KKK wore theirs crazy white hats and sheets..we knew what they were up to and we stayed away. Same kind of thing. You see a brother with a beard..I know his agenda. He will lower his gaze; he will assist me when he has to without a word; there will be minimal conversation and we move forward...it is simply a mark of a believer. Almost pride of a believer.

Not everyone is ready to wear that mark. It is encouraged in the faith. It is highly encouraged.

If a brother does not grow a beard does that make him less than a man.

We make choices as to how closely do we wish to follow the Sunna. It is a process. We encourage the Muslim brotherhood to follow the Sunna.