The Beard

mohammadyunus

Lots of muslim brothers today do not grow beard. Even if they do, it is short or designed according to ones own whims and fashion.

It is very essential to grow the beard in manner of sunnah of our beloved prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

You will encounter many people who will say that growing a beard is sunnah and not fardh. They will say that it is important to believe from heart rather than this outwardly show of iman. BEWARE!!

These are all tricks of satan.

Satan is to us an open enemy. He tempts us in ways we cannnot percieve. He insinuates us in such manners so that we would be devoid of the rewards of following the sunnah of our prophet.

It is said that when a muslim will die if he didnt have the beard in accordance with the sunnah of our prophet then our beloved prophet Mohammad (Pbuh) will turn himself away from such a face.

What answer will you give to our prophet when he will ask you that the ummah for whom he struggled his entire life , the ummah for whom he cried in supplications all his life , the ummah for whom the family of rasulallah worried their whoe lives ,this ummah did not even like the face of the prophet ???

YOU think the face of our prophet with his beard was ugly ???
that YOU think that if you keep beard like our prophet will make you look bad!!!!!
And that if you will keep beard like a filmstar than you will look handsome??

Is this our Iman????
Is this our faith ?????

Is our imaan so weak that we try to find ways of avoiding the sunnah of our beloved prophet MOhammad (Pbuh)

Are you clean shaven and think you are a muslim ??
THINK AGAIN
AND AGAIN.

A PERSON IS NOT A MUSLIM

I REPEAT

A PERSON IS NOT A MUSLIM

UNLESS AND UNTIL INWARDLY AND OUTWARDLY i.e. FROM THE HEART AND FROM HIS APPEARANCE HE IS ON THE PATH OF ALLAH FOLLOWING THE SUNNAH OF PROPHET MOHAMMAD (PBUH)

EVERY BROTHER OF THIS MUSLIM COMMUNITY

PLEASE
PLEASE

CONSIDER WHAT A TERRIBLE THING YOU ARE DOING !!!
JUST FOR A MOMENT THINK ABOUT THE HURT YOU ARE GIVING TO OUR PROPHET MOHAMMAD (PBUH) BY BEING CLEAN SHAVEN AND MAKING A JOKE OF THE STRUGGLES OF OUR PORPHET FOR US.

AND BY THE WAY A CLEAN SHAVEN MUSLIM MAN IS NOT HANDSOME.
HE IS A FRIEND OF WAYS OF SATAN.

Tomtom

Banned
As'alaamu Alaikkum

Show us either from the Holy Qur'an or Hadith where it says that a Muslim must have a beard.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Narrated Ibn `Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "Cut the moustaches short and leave the beard (as it is).

Reference:Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī, Vol. 7, Book 72, Hadith 781

Ibn Umar said:
The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard grow.

Reference: Sahih Muslim, Book 2, Hadith 498

Ibn Umar said:
The Messenger of Allah (may peace be opon him) said: Act against the polytheists, trim closely the moustache and grow beard.

Reference: Sahih Muslim, Book 2, Hadith 498

Cutting the beard won't make you leave the fold of Islam. But, letting the beard grow is fard.

Also, you should trim the moustaches.

Tomtom

Banned
Yes but this is for people who have a beard. It doesn't say anywhere that a Muslim should grow a beard.

Ershad

Yes but this is for people who have a beard. It doesn't say anywhere that a Muslim should grow a beard.

:salam2:

If Allah gives you a beard, let it grow. If you don't have, no problem. It is only haram to cut the beard which Allah has given you.

Btw, no one can grow beard by himself unless you implant the hair follicles. But, that is not the natural way. If you have a beard naturally, let it grow. Otherwise, no need, Alhamdulilah.

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as salam 'alaykum

I'd like to request all of my brothers (and sister also, so that they may tell it to their husbands and sons) to listen to the lecture of Sulaiman Mullah "Is Beard Sunnah or Wajib"

JazakAllah khair sister to share it, as i forgot the name
I found this thread by Brother Idris: Beard Between Salaf and Khalaf

there is another very short but precise piece of article shared by brother saladin, here it is: Status of the Beard

and Allah knows the best

JazakAllah khair
wassalam

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum wa rahamatullahi wabarakatuhu,

Jazakum allahu khair everyone for the articles. Beard is Wajib, no doubt about it.

mohammadyunus

tomtom,
the question you ask is very well answered by our brother idris in his post. Hope to see you with a fist long beard soon. inshallah

esperanza

revert of many years
asalam, alaykum

ido not think you can judge someone who does not wear a beard saying he is not muslim,,
just as saying someone who does not wear hijab is not muslim

just beause someone wears a beard or wears niqab does not necessariyl mean they are better ,they may have many faults in their character...

and ihave seen many examples of this

yes its preferrable, but we should not judge people so strongly on these factors

John Smith

Wow, some serious statements about the " Beard ".

I cant get my head around being labelled a non muslim because i dont have a beard,is islam based on apperance or actions and intentions of the heart? do i have to look a certain way to be accepted by the masses,i give numerous amounts in charity,i pray my 5 daily prayers add my sunnah prayers too,i eat in a certain manner and sleep in a certain manner which both are according to the sunnah,i talk and walk in a humble manner,i dont associate parteners with Allah Swt,i dont break ties of kinship,i treat animals with respect,i look after my elderly parents and so forth,i sponsor a orphan the list is endless.

Because i dont have a beard that makes me a non muslim? what a load of tosh.

I know many brothers who grew a brad because they just entered islam and those very same brothers who would pull me up for not having a beard are the very same brother who today are clean shaven and make every excuse under the blue sky as to why they had to shave it off.

Ershad

Assalamu Alaikkum,

Yes, you should be cautious regarding giving takfir, brother. You cannot give a takfir unless you are a scholar. Even scholars are hesitant to do that. Beard is fard. But, men who shave their beard need more taqwa, thats all. It doesn't mean they have left Islam. There are men who shave the beard and 5 times a day and even do the Nafl prayers. They just need a little more taqwa.

Also, there is a funny but true thing about brothers with beard :):
Watch the clip : http://www.tubechop.com/watch/247123

Tomtom

Banned
BEARDS WERE PART OF THE CULTURE AT THE TIME OF THE PROPHET (PBUH) THEREFORE ALL MEN WORE BEARDS. EVEN THE JEWS AND CHRISTIANS WORE BEARD, WAS IT FARDH FOR THEM ALSO?

I can understand that at the time of the Prophet (pbuh) they wanted to distinguish themselves as Muslims as opposed to the Kufr.

What has been posted by brother Idris is opinions from scholars. Who wants to listen to them?

Ershad

BEARDS WERE PART OF THE CULTURE AT THE TIME OF THE PROPHET (PBUH) THEREFORE ALL MEN WORE BEARDS. EVEN THE JEWS AND CHRISTIANS WORE BEARD, WAS IT FARDH FOR THEM ALSO?

I can understand that at the time of the Prophet (pbuh) they wanted to distinguish themselves as Muslims as opposed to the Kufr.

What has been posted by brother Idris is opinions from scholars. Who wants to listen to them?

Okay, you don't listen to scholars. What about the hadiths I gave you? Aren't they the proof enough for you to show that men should let the beards grow and not cut it?

One of the strong hadith is :

Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "There will emerge from the East some people who will recite the Qur'an but it will not exceed their throats and who will go out of (renounce) the religion (Islam) as an arrow passes through the game, and they will never come back to it unless the arrow, comes back to the middle of the bow (by itself) (i.e., impossible). The people asked, "What will their signs be?" He said, "Their sign will be the habit of shaving (of their beards). (Fath-ul-Bari, Page 322, Vol. 17th)

Reference: http://sunnah.com/urn/71100

Isn't that proof enough?

If you don't have a beard naturally, then that is not a problem. But, you shouldn't cut it if you have it.

Idris16

Abu Hurayrah reported that the ruler of Yemen, appointed by the Persian emperor Kisra, sent two envoys to the Messenger :saw:. When they came into his presence,he noticed that they had shaved their beards and let their moustaches grow big. Hating their ugly appearance, he turned his face away and said, “Woe be to you, who told you to do so?” They replied: “Our lord (Kisra) did!” The Messenger :saw: responded: “But my Lord, exalted and glorified be He, has commanded me to spare my beard and trim my moustaches.”

[Recorded by Ibn Jarir at-Tabari, Ibn Sa’d, and Ibn Bishran. Verified to be hasan (good) by al-Albani (Fiqh us-Sirah by al-Ghazali p. 359)]
Why then did the Mushrikeen shave their beard? The Mushriks at that time were Arabs. The prophet :saw: told the Muslims to be different to the Mushrikeen. So if you mean the Mushrikeen grow their beard then that means the Muslims are commanded to shave their beard.

The Jews claim to follow Musa. So maybe its fard for them. But the Jews are transgressors and make halal what Allaah has made haram and vice versa. So no need to speak about them.

Allah tells us that Harun (alaihis-salaam) addressed his brother Musa (alaihis-salaam) as follows:

He said, “O son of my mother! Do not hold me by my beard or head.” [Ta-Ha 20:94]
And we need to distinguish ourselves too by growing our beard.

Men of understanding want to listen to them!
Narrated Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri:

The Prophet said, "There will emerge from the East some people who will recite the Qur'an but it will not exceed their throats and who will go out of (renounce) the religion (Islam) as an arrow passes through the game, and they will never come back to it unless the arrow, comes back to the middle of the bow (by itself) (i.e., impossible). The people asked, "What will their signs be?" He said, "Their sign will be the habit of shaving (of their beards). (Fath-ul-Bari, Page 322, Vol. 17th)

Reference: http://sunnah.com/urn/71100

Isn't that proof enough?

If you don't have a beard naturally, then that is not a problem. But, you shouldn't cut it if you have it.
:wasalam: warahmatullah wabarakatuh
I have read about the Khawaarij and they dont shave their beard. They shave their heads and let their beard grow. The hadith you quoted is about the Khawaarij. Maybe they made a mistake in putting 'beard' instead of heads.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
asalam, alaykum

ido not think you can judge someone who does not wear a beard saying he is not muslim,,
just as saying someone who does not wear hijab is not muslim

just beause someone wears a beard or wears niqab does not necessariyl mean they are better ,they may have many faults in their character...

and ihave seen many examples of this

yes its preferrable, but we should not judge people so strongly on these factors

That was just I was thinking. Please keep some sense in here. Don´t judge people too fast.

Ershad

I have read about the Khawaarij and they dont shave their beard. They shave their heads and let their beard grow. The hadith you quoted is about the Khawaarij. Maybe they made a mistake in putting 'beard' instead of heads.

Jazakallahu Khairan for explaining that brother.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Respectfull brother, it is wrong to call other Muslim as non Muslim only because he does not grow a beard Astagfirullah, as we will be hold accoutantable for our words infront of Allah, especially for our words directed toward our Muslim brothers and sisters, Inshallah. And Allah knows the best.

Beard is a Wajid for Muslim man which is close to fard in Islam Alhamdulillah,and it was order from our beloved Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam for many reasons, like distinguishing Muslims from unbelivers, been more diffrent in apperinence than woman, following Sunnah of our Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam, and having Islamic identity in apperiance Alhadmulillah.

But although beard is a Wajid, it does not mean that Muslim brother who does not wear a beard is a bad Muslim Astagfirullah or that he does not have enough Taqwa (as beard is not Fard like Hijab is for us Muslimah) and one Muslim brother can be good Muslim without beard Alhamdulillah, but Alhadmulillah is better that all Muslims wear beard for the sake of Allah and following Sunnah of our Prophet sallahu alayha wa salam. And Allah knows the best.

I think our brother Idris has posted good thread about beard for Muslim man, MashAllah.

May Allah forgive me if I said anything wrong and may Allah guide all Muslims to the right path. Ameen ya Rabb.:tti_sister:

May Allah bless you.

:wasalam:

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
aS-SALAAMU Alaikum,

Well as a sister, let me first say that I think beards are attractive on men/brothers.

Second of All, If you truly want to immulate the actions of the prophet then wouldn't you try to dress, and act like the Prophet (Salallahu alahi wa salaam).

Pleas ppl stop using anecdote as a reason not worship Islam correctly. "Oh I saw ONE SISTER wearing niqab and she backbite so therefore ALL SISTERS who wear niqab are not pious. blah blah.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God

Brother, beard is part of the Sunnah. He commanded the Muslims to GROW the beard and trim the mustache. If you don't want to grow one then that's fine but please do go saying something is not from Islam when it clearly is.

And please don't go saying "who wants to listen to them", the scholars are inheirtors of the Prophets for the Prophets leave nothing behind but knowledge. The Prophet (S) himself commanded to seek knowledge from the learned men (meaning scholars). Do not belittle our bearers of Knowledge, they have much higher status in the sight of Allah then you or I. Until you spend minimum 5 years studying Islam at a reputable institution, you do not even qualify to give your islamic opinion on an issue. Same goes for all of us.

As for the thread title, it is incorrect to name the thread as such. You can be beardless or hijabless and still be a Muslim. This form of dawah is incorrect way to go about it and will only put others off.

Only place where such a title would fit is the salaah. "Are you really a Muslim" would go there because there are numerous hadith with agreement of the scholars that one who abandons Islam is not a Muslim.