Warning! Revert/Convert or you want to Revert/Convert:A letter for you from a Convert

Hellen

Ive been in exactly the same situation and asked about changing my name Ive also had peoples cultures shoved down my throat to the point they even wanted to dress me in a pakistani outfit...My mosque only speak in URDU so I understand nothing and any information Ive been given has been written For "Brothers"...Im actually an outsider at my mosque and made to feel so...and then people wonder why in the UK Islam has such bad media

MuhammadAbdAllah

Born muslims do complicate things

Once one arab said to me that everyone who is muslim is automatically an 'arab'. I asked him if he is on drugs. Arab is a race while a muslim is someone who adopts islam as his or her religion. A japanese who becomes a muslim, is an arab automatically??? this guy must have smoked something :).

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Once one arab said to me that everyone who is muslim is automatically an 'arab'. I asked him if he is on drugs. Arab is a race while a muslim is someone who adopts islam as his or her religion. A japanese who becomes a muslim, is an arab automatically??? this guy must have smoked something :).

As-salaamu `alaykum

Thought I'd add that the scholars view the one who knows the `Arabic language as an `Arab. This is what many ullemaa' have held for centuries including Ibn Taymiyyah.

khansahil

asalamalikum

jazakallah khair thanks for shareing this well it is not dat we dunt wana help sumtimes we just got stuck on wat to say n how to start n now as i came to diz forum ive learned alot thanks alkhamdulillah im gona be carefull next time i see sum1 who is converted n would help him or her in anything i can inshallah

seema2005

May Allah help us

One thing I wanna add is that we shouldnt say 'convert' instead say "revert" as everyone is born a muslim state of fitr hence this is what should be used. Though I am a born muslim but I do believe that our revert brother and sisters have a stonger Iman and understanding of Islam and I think they should be handling the mosques and organizations instead as everywhere u go there are people bringing there culture in pakistani arabic indian and so on but they tend to forget that in Islam there is no culture Islam itself is a such a great guidance tht we dont need any false cultures , our religion provides everything then why stick to such untruly values.
May Allah have his mercy upon us AAMEEN.

seema2005

May Allah help us

One thing I wanna add is that we shouldnt say 'convert' instead say "revert" as everyone is born a muslim state of fitr hence this is what should be used. Though I am a born muslim but I do believe that our revert brother and sisters have a stonger Iman and understanding of Islam and I think they should be handling the mosques and organizations instead as everywhere u go there are people bringing there culture in pakistani arabic indian and so on but they tend to forget that in Islam there is no culture Islam itself is a such a great guidance tht we dont need any false cultures , our religion provides everything then why stick to such untruly values.
May Allah have his mercy upon us AAMEEN.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

this is as if i had written the letter. because this has been my whole experience as a muslim. i have only stayed for 2 reasons:

1. i can't turn back knowing that islam is the truth.
2. that islam is perfect and muslims aren't.

i've been muslim almost half of my life and i don't think i have spoken more than a paragraph with anyone at the masjid. i wanted to but i was ignored.

last week after maghrib i went to shake the hand of a south asian brother and he looked at me as if i had 5 heads, cause i was " black " . the funny thing was that he was 3 shades darker than i was.
:wasalam:

Asiya-sparkles

Aauthu billahe minish shaytan nirajeem,
Bismillah Rachman Iraheem, Alhamdulillah Rabbil alameen

Salam alaikom wa Rachman tullah wa burrahktoh,

Dear brothers and sisters in Islam, I have been following this thread and was reminded that everything is from Allah subhana wa t'ala, and part of the testing of every muslim is the strength of our Iman and our intentions too.

InshAllah, I wanted to say that for us reverts there are many benefits from this test, we have to devote our time to reading the Quran and listening to scholars and learn the Prophetic example...the sunnah, we inshAllah develop sabr, because regardless of whether we are accepted or liked (and this applies to all muslims) we have rights and responsibilities as part of this ummah - and part of that is to enjoin the good and remind against and forbid the bad.

InshAllah, most important of all is to remind ourselves that everything we do, every greeting, reminder, interaction with each other even is an act of worship if the reason we are doing it is to please Allah.

The sahabah went out and declared 'li illaha ilallah Muhammadur rasulallah' (the shahadah) to the non-muslims, and they demonstrated a strength of Iman and certainty that this was absolutely the right thing to do. We should not fear aggression and hostility from each other, and perhaps the next time we are ignored or slighted, remind ourselves, and then the one we wish to extend salams to, that we are one ummah, and united we stand, divided we fall. Not just in the sense of in a modern climate, but also in the sense that before Allah, we should spread Islam with wisdom, and even if that is to continue to keep good relations with those who refuse to acknowledge us, inshAllah, Allah will soften the hearts, remind our brothers and sisters to do good deeds and increase love for each other. And remember that the one who extends that greeting sincerely and for the sake of Allah, is in reality earning a far greater reward than the greeting returned..that is a special bonus.

May Allah soften our hearts and unite our ummah.

salam alaikom wa rachman tullah wa burrahktoh

fi amanillah

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum wonderful article brother its just the new muslims ... i live in a city where most of the muslims are arabs and they never treat non-arabs properly ... they luk at us like we r not muslims and it really upsets me cuz we muslims shud be one.

miriam1229

I agree, i am reading and studying...as a new revert, i too find this a very isolating situation at times,,,you no longer have any desire to join in w/non-muslims in the old activities that you left when you became Muslim...thankfully, i have 2 grown sons who are knowledgeable, and strong reverts ....of 7 years, who teach and support me. i listen to talks from the Zaytuna website and Halal Tube, especially Sk Hamza Yusef, and am learning how to be Muslim in a non-Muslim community where i live.. thank you for your insightful essay...you really hit on some things i can relate to. No mashids here in my city, only the distant cyber community...
Alhumdulilah! for all those of you here on this site..
Maryam Hajar

Muslimah-Sarah

Very helpful..

thank u so much for ur helpful words about converting....i converted on 18th jan 09 and i am still struggling with parents and grandparents with regards to the change of relgion.
Your story helped me a lot..thank. Masha'Allah. =]:hijabi:

PARVEZ SHAHIDI

WOW, I did not realize it before. I want to invite new Muslims in Toronto, Canada area in my home during social gathering but I do not know any one. Please PM me.
:wasalam:

miriam1229

Wa laikum As-Salaam,
I disagree that there are not opportunities for learning or structure as you find in the Catholic church....Islam is based on learning from scholars who the bearers of sacred knowledge and passed down and is very available to those who to those who seek it out. Have you checked out Sunnipath ..online academy? you can take online classes from excellent scholars and receive college credit and for you own deen. i too am a new revert, and westerner--And an ex-Catholic. Catholicism is so full of innovation that has changed with the times, their 'scholars' are not giving sound teachings. Also, when i was Catholic, i attended church after church to find one that was friendly and inviting, but never did..then i realized that i was not looking for God in the right place, and became a Muslim...after much soul searching, reading, etc. i find it challenging sometimes also, since i live in a non-Muslim community...but, the Prophet peace be upon Him, suffered all of his life and never complained or fretted ..we can learn from His example. Read and study the Quran, hadith, grammer, Arabic, etc etc...there is a bottomless wealth of sources. Ignore those who are not good examples of Islam...we are not their judges or keepers...leave them to Allah to deal with. I find your 'warning' article very disturbing, since you don't seem to take responsibility for growth in your deen but complain about so many things... the Quran does not state, and those who are mature in their Islam do not expect you to eat or dress in a manner different than your own culture..just follow the code for modesty and eat halal foods, and say alhamdulillah!..and don't fret, Brother. Islam is EASY, when one's mind and heart are open to the voice of Allah by seeking sacred knowledge and listening to the words of the Prophet,,it is the intention of Allah to make it easy for us, since He is all Merciful. If you need support, inspiration, and encourgement, i suggest you go to Halal Tube and listen to Sk Hamza Yusef and Imam Zaid...they are wonderful, american scholars that can help you in dealing w/being a Muslim in America.
Salaams,
Maryam-Hajar

miriam1229

Wa salaamulaikum sister,
I understand...my family and friends all reacted so differently to my reversion to Islam...my best friend is still not comfortable w/ it and reacts to the change in my dress, etc in a negative way. I have to remember who I am now dressing for...not for the attention from others, but for the pleasure of Allah. Stay strong and continue learning...take a Sunnipath.com class and you will find a wonderful 'community' there for support. they are grounded and knowledgable in their deen.
Alhamudulillah, welcome.
Maryam-Hajar:tti_sister::tti_sister:

Asiya-sparkles

InshAllah, it is alright to copy n paste, but I thought this was also apt for this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjuaiah
As-salaam Alaikum,

Do ye think that ye shall enter the gardin of bliss without such trials as came to those who passed away before you? they encounterd suffreing and adversity, and were so shaken in spirit that even the messenger and those of faith who where with him cried ''when will come the help of allah? Ah verily, the help of allah is allways near.

And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way. 2:186
“And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a
him to get out (from every difficulty).
And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever
puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish
purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things”[al-Talaaq 65:2-3]

Allah's help is always near.

ma'shAllah, this is true.

Imam Sadiq [pbuh] said:

"The Muslim believer whose calls were not answered by Allah in this world will wish that none of them would have been accepted when, in the Hereafter, he sees the abundance of rewards (given him for their not being answered and suffering the troubles in the world)."
Also I am told it is sunnah to deliver the khutbah first in Arabic and then translate it. InshAllah someone can help with hadith reference?

For us reverts (and indeed all muslims and those who are being led to Islam too), increasingly I'm understanding that the acceptance into the ummah is all part of rizq, and every aspect - whatever is witheld or granted is solely the beneficence of Allah. In sabr & shukr we grow, learn, increase in compassion, humility & benefits. I know some reverts who from the moment they revert are very active both in terms of the masjid and in terms of being invited into homes as guests, so Allah knows what we get the greatest rewards from, Alhamdulillah.

"When confronting a sage, try to be more inquisitive than talkative, and learn how to listen well as much as you learn how to speak well, and do not interrupt the statement of anyone."

Imam Amir ul Mu'mineen Ali [pbuh] said:

"Accept the apology of your Muslim brother and if he has not any, invent one for him yourself."

The Holy Prophet [pbuh] said:

"He who decreases a grief out of the grieves of this world for his Muslim brother, Allah will decrease for him a grief out of the grieves of the Hereafter."

BinKhadija

An Akhu
Asslam'u Alikum,

Awesome post, loved reading it. Read with smiling face at some points and - with bit of disappointment at our own behaviours - at others. Subhan Allah.

May Allah guide us all to the right path.

Noor El-Huda

The article was an eye opener. However, meeting reverts is a learning experience for born muslims. For example. In muslim countries, it is considerd as normal to start a conversation on public transport, Dr, court, just about anywhere. If you're on public transport, you talk to the sister next to you for the entire journey, about anything:

how many kids you have, how many you plan to have, and how you make a falafel!

We come to the west, and we learn that starting a conversation with people that don't know you is something negative. We travel a journey of miles on public transport and people are happy enough to read their book/newspaper. We also learn that you should not look at someone at all, its considered rude, and eye contact is a no no. Back home, that is considered as a starter to a conversation, so we look and stare, in a way to say, "I'm bored, you want to talk?"

It gets a bit confusing for many as to what a revert finds accpetable or not. As much as many want to be friendly to you, and offer their assistance, thoughts of 'minding their own business' linger in our heads. they may think that you could be feeling why the 'FUSS' because I'm a new muslim?! "Why do I have to tell you why I became a muslim? I'm so bored with that!" Not knowing what acceptable of not by you, sadly, we may keep it to a shy "salam alaykum", if anything at all . :shymuslima1:

When you see similar ethnic group sisters/brothers speaking together, please don't take it personal, they don't intentionally mean to isolate you, its more of they understand that its acceptable in their culture to start a random conversation, the converstaion is not limited to eg. speaking about the weather, because this is how much we feel is considered as permissable, before you start to seem rather weird and annoying. (UK)So, many are just reluctant because they don't want to seem intrusive and rude.

Please remember that that we are so proud of you , we know that it must be a road full of herdles, and we want to make it easier for you by helping you in anyway we can, but the majority of times, we don't seem to know how! so please help us to help you .:SMILY206:

E.g.

-If we say salam alaykum, please say more,...
"Walaykum assalam", its a nice atmosphere in this mosque". Add to it so we know you do want to talk.

-If you see a group haivng a chat, feel free to introduce yourself and come on in,. We'll be honoured to have you.

-If you have questions we will help you or at least try and direct you to someone.

so lets both make the effort, and keep away shaitan, who will try and make things difficult for both of us. :SMILY27:

a_stranger

We the born muslems have many many proplems .......most of muslem countries don t teach islam ....but some fight islam........when i was young i used to hide when i pray ......i was the only one with higab in many places those acts were looked as very strange......we didn t get the chance to learn islam and practice it as it is .....now many of us learn from revert brothers and sisters ......learn how to be firm , and strong in faith.....islam is a matter of faith not habits as most muslems think. Thank you for your post ....we born muslems need to study islam as you do and practise it.