What does women and driving have to do with Islam?

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

I just read yet another news article discussing Saudi women not being able to drive. IT says a Saudi woman was arrested because she disobeyed the laws and drove and encouraged other women to do the same thing in her country. Now most of the non-Muslims hearing about this news are blaming Islam of being a backward, barbaric religion! of course nothing new, but still subhanalaah! Just gets me annoyed to see our beautiful religion being blamed for every little mistake that happens. This is the one thing I don't understand about Saudi Arabia, what does Islam have to do with women driving? I really don't think that rule has anything to do with Islam. The main concern is that the women will drive to haraam places and mix with men, one does not only have to drive to do haraam things, they can do it anywhere @ anytime. The other thing is these women are adults and should be responsible for their own actions--that's what the authorities are missing.

Is this law forbidding women really Islamic? it's seems to be more traditional than Islamic.

Perseveranze

It has nothing to do with Islam lol, probably some cultural thing. But they try to argue it's for the "protection" of women? I am not sure, maybe they watched this video -

[yt]4wT7zM8XgXQ[/yt]

But seriously though...

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 19:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "The best women are the riders of the camels and the righteous among the women of Quraish. They are the kindest women to their children in their childhood and the more careful towards the property of their husbands."

Jazakumullahu Khair

It's just cultural, people who attribute it towards Islam are just hating.

tariq353

Yes this is cultural......

This is not a mistake....Saudi govt knows about their people/culture better..... so they have rules accordingly.

There are other Muslim countries where it isn't so.

As far as non Muslims ...they look for reason.

wa salam

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Honestly, I've seen videos of Saudi men driving and I wouldnt want to drive in that condition. I would be surprised to learn Saudi has any driving laws after seeing some of those videos.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Yes it is cultural. In the countries next door, such as Jordan, Kuwait etc women drive without a problem.

Allah knows best, having lived there for some time, I think it is better like this for Saudi Arabia.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
indeed many womenaren't very able to drive a car,they are so...slow!!!!I have the driving license from 2004 and fortunately I'm not so bad like those women in the video.I never made an accident and never a fine from a policeman.I'm a perfect driver:lol:

alf2

Islam is a way of life
indeed many womenaren't very able to drive a car,they are so...slow!!!!I have the driving license from 2004 and fortunately I'm not so bad like those women in the video.I never made an accident and never a fine from a policeman.I'm a perfect driver:lol:

I am proud to say I am a good driver too :)
UNLESS I am in Altanta, which is a very busy city with lots of 1 way streets. 1 Way streets make me uncomfortable. I have had to pull onto the side of the road in Atlanta many times because it was overwhelming and I had to collect my thoughts.

bari

People do not know about Saudi culture, driving for women is not at all safe there!

Idris16

Honestly, I've seen videos of Saudi men driving and I wouldnt want to drive in that condition. I would be surprised to learn Saudi has any driving laws after seeing some of those videos.
Bismillâh - In The Name of Allâh
As far as I know Egypt, Syria and KSA are the top Arab nations that die in the traffic, who knows maybe in the world too.

People do not know about Saudi culture, driving for women is not at all safe there!
:wasalam:
I agree with you, look at my reply above. The men driving in KSA should be admonished for driving too fast.

Aroosak

I agree with some of posts that driving in Saudia is not the safest thing in the world and I for once would never dare drive there lol... but besides cultural issues there are some economic issues not taken into account
Saudi Arabia is a rich country but that doesn't mean all its inhabitants are. There are many women that are not married or are divorced or widowed who need to support themselves and their families. These women are not able to improve their condition if they cannot drive to a place because they cannot afford a driver. These limits their possibilities of finding a good job and supporting themselves.

I think Islam is a religion that is meant to make people's lives easier.

auroran

That is so because Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country and the Prophet :saw: was born there. Also there are the two holy cities of Makkah and Madeenah. That's enough for them to prove that Saudi Muslims follow their deen 100% when that's not the case. Those people think that a women driving is against Islaam. No but the people still think that because anything a Muslim does is part of Islaam, whether good or bad, for some reason.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

there is nothing in Islam which says women should not drive. but it says to close the doors for the evils.

saudi scholars have opined that if women are allowed to drive, cases are chasing girls, men and women meeting in secluded places, etc. will take place. its not that everybody will misuse this freedom, but a part will do it.

one can see such examples in muslim countries where its allowed to drive.

PS: i dont want to go any further. everytime such topic comes and it ends as closed due to heated discussions.

Shak78

there is nothing in Islam which says women should not drive. but it says to close the doors for the evils.

saudi scholars have opined that if women are allowed to drive, cases are chasing girls, men and women meeting in secluded places, etc. will take place. its not that everybody will misuse this freedom, but a part will do it.

one can see such examples in muslim countries where its allowed to drive.

PS: i dont want to go any further. everytime such topic comes and it ends as closed due to heated discussions.

The same could be same for men as well, why are woman always singled out as the ones who will do this? That is my issue with it, Men and Woman both do evil but it seems that woman are the ones singled out. Woman should be allowed to drive to get jobs, get an education and such. To not allow them to drive puts restrictions on how they are able to better themselves and their families.

Um Ibrahim

The same could be same for men as well, why are woman always singled out as the ones who will do this? That is my issue with it, Men and Woman both do evil but it seems that woman are the ones singled out. Woman should be allowed to drive to get jobs, get an education and such. To not allow them to drive puts restrictions on how they are able to better themselves and their families.

Salaam brother, that's just what I was about to say! You're definitely right! It's like women are some how treated as little kids who need to be protected from harming themselves. How many men use that advantage they have to drive for bad things such driving to clubs, meeting non-mahram women etc. this law just puts a bad light on Muslims in Saudi.

Um Ibrahim

Everything takes getting used to. Maybe that's the reason it's not save because all the drivers are men! lol. ever think about that? I think women are better drivers. I've been driving for almost 9 years now in the U.S and never got into a major accident, alhamdulilah! but perhaps it's because I always remember Allah first before I drive and ask for His protection.

Abu Ameerah

Assalamo Alaikom. I lived in Saudi Arabia for more than 15 years and been driving almost the same period. I knew how the motorists drive (both Saudis and Expatriates). Saudis think that they are the Kings of the Road, thus break all traffic rules. Cab Drivers are reckless drivers. The Government is 101% correct for not allowing women to drive here in this vast country - disaster if they allow it to happen here.

Shak78

Assalamo Alaikom. I lived in Saudi Arabia for more than 15 years and been driving almost the same period. I knew how the motorists drive (both Saudis and Expatriates). Saudis think that they are the Kings of the Road, thus break all traffic rules. Cab Drivers are reckless drivers. The Government is 101% correct for not allowing women to drive here in this vast country - disaster if they allow it to happen here.

Why would it be a disaster Brother? Perhaps they might bring some sanity to the road? By not allowing them to drive, woman are not able to better themselves or their families, they are trapped.

Um Ibrahim

If that's the case well they should say that in the media, and not blame on Islam, or woman shouldn't drive because they will "mingle" with men or something like that. That gives people the wrong impression. But i'm sure non-Muslims will still say something negative anyway right.

Idris16

I am a Muslim and I'm not allowed to marry a Saudi woman according to Saudi Law. But no one asks if this is what Islâm teaches. Because we know it doesn't.

al-Bukhaari (5365) and Muslim (2527) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “The best women who ride camels are the women of Quraysh.”

What's more concealing riding camels or driving cars?

^^Sheikh Albanee question.
Hehe, you nailed it. BârakAllâhu Fîk. I do remember like more than a year ago that I've read about it.