What would be the main reason to become a muslim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianek

palestine, thank you for your response. I apologize for my inability in giving my answers, and for causing confusing. There is alot for me to try to respond to.

I guess one major place of difference would be our belief of who Jesus was/is. Am I correct in saying that the evidence for your belief is the Quran. Would you except any other evidence that is earlier/older than the Quran? Can you tell me when the Quran was written?

Thank You

We do accept the Torah, The Old and New Testaments in the forms that were original, not the versions that are distributed out there now, for they have been changed to adhere to local kings and leaders (King James Version etc.) This is fact...Catholics have 7 more books in their Bible than Protestants, why? Who gave them the authority to alter the Words of God? Research the Council of Nicea and see how the butchered and added to the Bible to suit their political needs of the times. You have never read the original words of God because they have been changed over and over again through out history. But the original words from God are accepted in islam in their purest form.

abou haytam

palestine, thank you for your response. I apologize for my inability in giving my answers, and for causing confusing. There is alot for me to try to respond to.

I guess one major place of difference would be our belief of who Jesus was/is. Am I correct in saying that the evidence for your belief is the Quran. Would you except any other evidence that is earlier/older than the Quran? Can you tell me when the Quran was written?

Thank You

the qoran was written the time of revelation, plz check this link for more details.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=10012&ln=eng&txt=كتابة الوحي

DadManG

Very good questions:
I am sure that we could go back and forth picking at each others "bible".
I will try to respond to your questions in this one, but I think I will try to look at the historical evidences for our beliefs. It seems that trying to find out if the bible and the quran are historically accurate would be a worthy adventure.

Quote:
When the LORD saw how great was man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anything but evil, he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved. So the LORD said: "I will wipe out from the earth the men whom I have created, and not only the men, but also the beasts and the creeping things and the birds of the air, for I am sorry that I made them."

It has never occurred to me to consider an emotion like grieve to be negative. The above quoted verses only display His character/desire for man.

As to the verses referencing God "resting" on the seventh day, the word for rested can also be translated as ceased. God ceased from His work.

I am not trying to convert anyone. I realize that it is difficult to have a deep conversation this way.

Thank you for your responses

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
It seems that trying to find out if the bible and the quran are historically accurate would be a worthy adventure.

It is worthy. You seem to accept that the Bible is inaccurate and therefore the Quran has to be so as well, but you are not prepared to ascertain this belief.

When the LORD saw how great was man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anything but evil, he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved. So the LORD said: "I will wipe out from the earth the men whom I have created, and not only the men, but also the beasts and the creeping things and the birds of the air, for I am sorry that I made them.

Grieve implies guilt, isn't it? and guilt implies sin ... so ?

But let say it doesn't, then it will at least imply that God did not know what will happen which makes him imperfect (so he was surprised to know something). God (Allah SWT) is perfect, all knowing and all able in the Muslim belief.

Would you please now tell us what else does God not know?

As to the verses referencing God "resting" on the seventh day, the word for rested can also be translated as ceased. God ceased from His work.

Mis-translations are common place in the Bible it appears ? Now why does that not extend to the concept of Jesus being God ?

I am not trying to convert anyone. I realize that it is difficult to have a deep conversation this way.

No one can convert any one. It is only for Allah SWT to grant guidance for people. Our job is to explain the truth to you the best we can. If you are seeking the truth then ask God to show it to you.

Peace.

DadManG

As I stated in the previous reply to Bluegazer, I don't this we will get anywhere picking apart each others "bible".

What do you think of this quote?
the "key" in comparing Christian faith to Islamic faith is that the Qur'an and the Bible have diametrical views of Jesus dying on the cross. Archaeological discoveries support that Jesus did in fact die on the cross. To date, no archaeological discovery has been uncovered that supports Muhammad's view of Jesus. (http://www.harvardhouse.com/muslim-christ.htm)

Peace

gazkour

DadmanG

Where in the Bible says that Jesus(PBUH) is 100% God and 100% man?

He (PBUH) actually never said so! He said for example that he was following the will of the Father and not his. When someone went to him and called him good, he repplied don't call me good, because there's just ONE good and that is my Father, someone ask him about the Hour, and he said he doesn't know, just the Father knows....
Sorry I'm not giving the exact verses. Anyway I'm sure you are quite familiar with them.

Do you see DadmanG how complicated the thing is? But we muslims don't have this arguments anymore : we just believe in something that simply makes sense: God is The One and Only.

Sabra

The bible teaches that Jesus was 100% God and 100% man. Not 50/50.

Thank You

Hello, Peace be with you:

First you said God sent Jesus his only son to die for your sins. Now you are saying Jesus is 100% God. Could you please explain this so that a logical
mind could understand????? Also could you please tell me one verse in the
bible where Jesus says literally, not speaking in parables, that he is god.

Thank You
Sabra

blackivy393

DadManG, the main difference between Christians and Muslims; Christians believe Jesus is God and Muslims dont. Muslims dont believe Jesus needed to die for our sins because there is no concept of a death sacrifice for sins in Islam. There is historical evidence that a man named Jesus was indeed killed, but Muslims believe God put in place a man that looked like Jesus, so that Romans thought they were killing Jesus, but werent.

As Christians, we believe if you believe Jesus is God and live a moral life you go to heaven, it isnt just simply belief. If you are living a lifestyle that is against God (pre-marital relations,crime,etc) , if you believe Jesus is God or not, you're not going to heaven; because God is a just God

croatian/jewconv

slave_of_Allah
Greetings, I am a Christian, looking to have a discussion about Islam.

What would be the main reason to become a muslim?

Peace

islam is like a jewel ,or the most prescious treasure...its beauty cannot be desribed
There is nothing more beautiful when sells himself a slave and bows his head in prostrattion to Allaah The creator of the universe(swt)

im a convert elhamdulilah and i left chrsitianilty form many reasons
i could argue many things but the main thing you should ask yourself as a chrsitian is how do consider god to be human(like you say to jesus) when god created humans? inshallaah you will understand god is much greater then human...his glory is to His and His alone, He has no son, no daughter, no child no baby-gods like whom you acribe to jesus(pbuh) and he has no parents

Subhaan Allaah(swt) ammma yushrikun(glory be to God(swt) what they blasphemously prescribe

i pray His light Most exalted catches you and guides you to the straight path

DadManG

Do you have any evidence for this belief?: We believe that someone died on the cross but that was not Jesus عيسى بن مريم ص but someone similar to him,

Or must it be accepted by faith?

Thanks

Bluegazer

Thank you, DadManG, for your replies.

I'd be grateful if you could give me some time to prepare my response. I may take a while, so I'll be grateful for your patience.

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Sabra

Sure, I understand what you mean. It is quite a task to continue this type of discussion.

This site seems to offer historical evidence that I have found very interesting: http://www.harvardhouse.com/muslim-christ.htm

Peace

Hershel Shanks wrote "In the temple of Solomon and the Tomb of Caiaphas," on page 44, “Joseph of the family of Caiaphas” offers the best modern understanding of the inscription since there were no last names used at the time of Jesus. The inscription literally reads “Joseph son of Caiaphas,” but this does not mean “the son of biologically” since “son of...” is used in the sense of belonging to the same group or family5.

Hello, Peace Be Upon You,

If you can understand this concept, why would the same not apply to Jesus(pbuh). When he uses the parables "my Father thou art in Heaven" this does not mean his Father biologically, it is used in the same sense as "this human family with our Creator(swt) thou art in Heaven". This website you have recommend is from a christian and is mostly based on hypothesis. Have they found bones that can be identified as Jesus's(pbuh) bones? No they have not,
but they have found the skeleton of the pharoh of Moses(pbuh) time that has been preserved without mummification, with the internal organs still in place, as told in the Quran in Surah 10:90 to 10:92, "And We took the Children of Israel across the sea: Firon (Pharoh) and his armies followed them with pride and anger. At the end, when overpowered with flood, he said: " I believe that there is no god except He in Whom the Children of Israel believe: I am of those who bow ( to Allah in Islam)." " It was said to him: Oh now! But just a little while before, you were in angry revolt! And you did mischief (and violence)!" " This day We shall save you in your dead body, so that you may be a sign to those who come after you! But surely, many from the mankind are careless of Our Signs!

Salam (Peace)
Sabra

gazkour

Salam

There was a BBC program called "The Lost Gospels". It says that the Gospel of Peter claims that Jesus was never cruxified, but just a resemblance of him. Of course, this was "taken" out of the original Bible by some priests when "revising" the Bible.

DadmanG, probably you could get some more especific information on this in the net, or even in you tube, so you'll realise that this fact is not just mentioned in the Coran, but in other means.

The Coran doesn't mention literally that someone else was put in the cross intead of Jesus(Isa in arabic), what mentions is :

That they said (in boast), "We killed Al-Masih 'Isa the son of Maryam, the Messenger of Allah"; but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not.[158] Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise.

[159] And there is none of the People of the Book but must believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Judgment he will be a witness against them. Quran 4.156,159 ( Sourat AN-NiSAA, verses 156..159)

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I've wanted to say something on this thread for a while, but hadnt got to, nor perhaps will furthermore be able to. Thus I dont think that it's fair that there be a restriction to who can post here, as we all... wish to help and well i dont know, picking who should stay and who should not seems rude, unless they are giving wrong information. Allahu 'Alem, that's how I feel.

Do you have any evidence for this belief?: We believe that someone died on the cross but that was not Jesus عيسى بن مريم ص but someone similar to him,

Or must it be accepted by faith?

Thanks

Hello.

The only ayah i can think of right now is:

وَقَوْلِهِمْ إِنَّا قَتَلْنَا الْمَسِيحَ عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ رَسُولَ اللّهِ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ وَمَا صَلَبُوهُ وَلَـكِن شُبِّهَ لَهُمْ وَإِنَّ الَّذِينَ اخْتَلَفُواْ فِيهِ لَفِي شَكٍّ مِّنْهُ مَا لَهُم بِهِ مِنْ عِلْمٍ إِلاَّ اتِّبَاعَ الظَّنِّ وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ يَقِينًا

"And because of their saying (in sarcastic boast), "We killed Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Jesus was put over another man, and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they did not kill him. " [Qur'aan Surah An-Nisa 4:157]

This is what is said to be the most authentic translation, as none is comparable to the Arabic text itself.

In the tafsir of this, or the explanation further, in Ibn Kathir it says the following and I think it's the best explanation thus far. PLease read it. Remember it is of a Muslim perspective in what it says... Isa = Jesus, though I bet you already knew that ;) :)

Excerpt:

[إِنَّا قَتَلْنَا الْمَسِيحَ عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ]

("We killed Al-Masih, `Isa, son of Maryam, the Messenger of Allah,") meaning, we killed the person who claimed to be the Messenger of Allah. The Jews only uttered these words in jest and mockery, just as the polytheists said,

[يأَيُّهَا الَّذِى نُزِّلَ عَلَيْهِ الذِّكْرُ إِنَّكَ لَمَجْنُونٌ]

(O you to whom the Dhikr (the Qur'an) has been sent down! Verily, you are a mad man!) When Allah sent `Isa with proofs and guidance, the Jews, may Allah's curses, anger, torment and punishment be upon them, envied him because of his prophethood and obvious miracles; curing the blind and leprous and bringing the dead back to life, by Allah's leave. He also used to make the shape of a bird from clay and blow in it, and it became a bird by Allah's leave and flew. `Isa performed other miracles that Allah honored him with, yet the Jews defied and bellied him and tried their best to harm him. Allah's Prophet `Isa could not live in any one city for long and he had to travel often with his mother, peace be upon them. Even so, the Jews were not satisfied, and they went to the king of Damascus at that time, a Greek polytheist who worshipped the stars. They told him that there was a man in Bayt Al-Maqdis misguiding and dividing the people in Jerusalem and stirring unrest among the king's subjects. The king became angry and wrote to his deputy in Jerusalem to arrest the rebel leader, stop him from causing unrest, crucify him and make him wear a crown of thorns. When the king's deputy in Jerusalem received these orders, he went with some Jews to the house that `Isa was residing in, and he was then with twelve, thirteen or seventeen of his companions. That day was a Friday, in the evening. They surrounded `Isa in the house, and when he felt that they would soon enter the house or that he would sooner or later have to leave it, he said to his companions, "Who volunteers to be made to look like me, for which he will be my companion in Paradise" A young man volunteered, but `Isa thought that he was too young. He asked the question a second and third time, each time the young man volunteering, prompting `Isa to say, "Well then, you will be that man." Allah made the young man look exactly like `Isa, while a hole opened in the roof of the house, and `Isa was made to sleep and ascended to heaven while asleep. Allah said,

[إِذْ قَالَ اللَّهُ يعِيسَى إِنِّي مُتَوَفِّيكَ وَرَافِعُكَ إِلَىَّ]

(And (remember) when Allah said: "O `Isa! I will take you and raise you to Myself.") When `Isa ascended, those who were in the house came out. When those surrounding the house saw the man who looked like `Isa, they thought that he was `Isa. So they took him at night, crucified him and placed a crown of thorns on his head. The Jews then boasted that they killed `Isa and some Christians accepted their false claim, due to their ignorance and lack of reason. As for those who were in the house with `Isa, they witnessed his ascension to heaven, while the rest thought that the Jews killed `Isa by crucifixion. They even said that Maryam sat under the corpse of the crucified man and cried, and they say that the dead man spoke to her. All this was a test from Allah for His servants out of His wisdom. Allah explained this matter in the Glorious Qur'an which He sent to His honorable Messenger, whom He supported with miracles and clear, unequivocal evidence. Allah is the Most Truthful, and He is the Lord of the worlds Who knows the secrets, what the hearts conceal, the hidden matters in heaven and earth, what has occurred, what will occur, and what would occur if it was decreed. He said,

[وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ وَمَا صَلَبُوهُ وَلَـكِن شُبِّهَ لَهُمْ]

(but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but it appeared as that to them,) referring to the person whom the Jews thought was `Isa. This is why Allah said afterwards,

[وَإِنَّ الَّذِينَ اخْتَلَفُواْ فِيهِ لَفِى شَكٍّ مِّنْهُ مَا لَهُمْ بِهِ مِنْ عِلْمٍ إِلاَّ اتِّبَاعَ الظَّنِّ]

(and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture.) referring to the Jews who claimed to kill `Isa and the ignorant Christians who believed them. Indeed they are all in confusion, misguidance and bewilderment. This is why Allah said,

[وَمَا قَتَلُوهُ يَقِيناً]

(For surely; they killed him not.) meaning they are not sure that `Isa was the one whom they killed. Rather, they are in doubt and confusion over this matter.

[بَل رَّفَعَهُ اللَّهُ إِلَيْهِ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَزِيزاً]

(But Allah raised him up unto Himself. And Allah is Ever All-Powerful,) meaning, He is the Almighty, and He is never weak, nor will those who seek refuge in Him ever be subjected to disgrace,

[حَكِيماً]

(All-Wise.) in all that He decides and ordains for His creatures. Indeed, Allah's is the clearest wisdom, unequivocal proof and the most glorious authority. Ibn Abi Hatim recorded that Ibn `Abbas said, "Just before Allah raised `Isa to the heavens, `Isa went to his companions, who were twelve inside the house. When he arrived, his hair was dripping water and he said, `There are those among you who will disbelieve in me twelve times after he had believed in me.' He then asked, `Who volunteers that his image appear as mine, and be killed in my place. He will be with me (in Paradise)' One of the youngest ones among them volunteered and `Isa asked him to sit down. `Isa again asked for a volunteer, and the young man kept volunteering and `Isa asking him to sit down. Then the young man volunteered again and `Isa said, `You will be that man,' and the resemblance of `Isa was cast over that man while `Isa ascended to heaven from a hole in the house. When the Jews came looking for `Isa, they found that young man and crucified him. Some of `Isa's followers disbelieved in him twelve times after they had believed in him. They then divided into three groups. One group, Al-Ya`qubiyyah (Jacobites), said, `Allah remained with us as long as He willed and then ascended to heaven.' Another group, An-Nasturiyyah (Nestorians), said, `The son of Allah was with us as long as he willed and Allah took him to heaven.' Another group, Muslims, said, `The servant and Messenger of Allah remained with us as long as Allah willed, and Allah then took him to Him.' The two disbelieving groups cooperated against the Muslim group and they killed them. Ever since that happened, Islam was then veiled until Allah sent Muhammad." This statement has an authentic chain of narration leading to Ibn `Abbas, and An-Nasa'i narrated it through Abu Kurayb who reported it from Abu Mu`awiyah. Many among the Salaf stated that `Isa asked if someone would volunteer for his appearance to be cast over him, and that he will be killed instead of `Isa, for which he would be his companion in Paradise.

I hope it makes sense or another User will later be able to furter clarify. It's worth the read. Even taught me things i didnt know :)

DadManG

Greetings, just a short response to you. You wrote that:
As Christians, we believe if you believe Jesus is God and live a moral life you go to heaven, it isnt just simply belief.
That statement is not true. We can not live a moral, we have all failed/sinned. and because of that, the Wrath of God abides on us. We need a Savior to save us from Gods wrath that is coming on all who have broken His Law.

Respectfully

As Christians, we believe if you believe Jesus is God and live a moral life you go to heaven, it isnt just simply belief.
That statement is not true. We can not live a moral, we have all failed/sinned. and because of that, the Wrath of God abides on us. We need a Savior to save us from Gods wrath that is coming on all who have broken His Law.

Respectfully

Hello again,

God sent prophets to every nation in the world to convey one message, and that is to worship God alone. They were "saviors" in the sense that people were living immoral lives and were worshipping other Gods and idols, so God sent His messengers to show these non-believers the right path. I think we will agree to disagree. You should really try to read some of the posts the brothers/sisters are giving you. Reflect and think think think.

Again, how can I be responsible for the murder of someone let's say in China (nothing against China, just using it give emphasis bc it's far from the US) that I don't even know?? I don't believe in murder, so what possibly makes your think that I was involved in the murder? What part of me is responsible for this murder?? Please give me an answer. Please contemplate. We human beings are responsible for our OWN actions.

Jesus (peace be upon him) will return at the End of Time to show the non-believers the truth...that he is not God, but just a messenger like all the other prophets (peace be upon them). I don't know what your intentions are, as you seem to keep arguing your views and stance. If you are sincere at heart, just cry out God, don't even say "Allah," and He will show you the truth.

There are numerous debates by Shaykh Ahmed Deedat and Dr. Zakir Naik on Youtube that will inshallah (God willing) open up some things for you. Other than that, read the Quran for yourself. Better yet, read all the holy books for every religion and you'll see where your heart rests.

Peace

abou haytam

Respectfully

hi,

i am born muslim and i can t understand this statment. If jesus as you said was 100% humain, so we as humain we can (or we have to )act like him. In this case why we need a savior??? beeing humain like him mean that we can be similar to him !!!! don t you think that those ppl looking for a savior are irresponsable people that look to put their mistakes on the back of the others. In my thinking if you made a mistakes toward someone you seek forgivness from him, you don t look for someone else to put your mistakes on him ...or you do???

my question is. if jesus was 100% humain why it s not possible for us as humain to act like him...otherwase why we need a savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.