Whats the point???!!!

Isra

aka Tree2008
As salamo alaikome

Inshallah all of my brothers and sisters at TTI are in good health and strong Iman!

I think most of you know by now that I moved to Morocco (an Islamic country) last year. Since I have been here I noticed a few things that have surprised me! Women who wear jilaba without hijab (I dont see the point of that at all) or women who wear hijab with very tight or revealing clothing (also no point in my opinion).

Worse than that I have met Muslims who fast during Ramadan but dont pray! Maybe Im naive or something but what is the point? I mean why struggle with a fast all day but dont pray?

Is there still reward in the fast itself without the prayer? It makes me very sad to see my brothers and sisters not praying at anytime but during Ramadan? May Allah forgive them and keep them on the straight path Ameen!

I woke up this morning and the first thought I had was ALHAMDULILLAH that Allah made me a Muslim! Then I wondered why some Muslims dont realize what a miracle they have been blessed with!

Born Muslims are so lucky because Allah actually chose them before they were even born and Islam has been a part of their entire lives! Alhamdulillah how fortunate for them! So sad to see them not practicing the beautiful deen that Allah blessed them with all of their lives! :SMILY23:

esperanza

revert of many years
my dear sister,,,you are very true,,,and sadly this is true in many countries across the Arab world.... your right they were born into Islam and did not have to find it like us,,,,
sadly many new muslims seem mre devoted than those born muslims..good for the new muslims but sad for those already muslims...

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu!

Exact thoughts cross my mind when I see something out of order. It's so hard not to say "what's the point of you wearing this. Take that off too."

Born Muslim (many, not all) have taken the religion as something that has been inherited. What is inherited is not usually valued.

complex_man

this is just a reflection of what islamic countries and people have become. you are only living for about one year. we have spent our whole lives here and we know how much hypocrisy is in us. i wonder if i meet a good Muslim :lol:. they are long gone.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Asalamaoalaikom wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu!

Exact thoughts cross my mind when I see something out of order. It's so hard not to say "what's the point of you wearing this. Take that off too."

Born Muslim (many, not all) have taken the religion as something that has been inherited. What is inherited is not usually valued.

Wa alaikome salam

Sister you dont know how many times I want to step to them and ask them what is going through their minds when they put on hijab with tight clothes or jilaba without hijab! I forgot to mention that lately I have also noticed many of our sisters wearing a scarf loosely over their heads as if its hijab but all of the hair in the front is sticking out! Ladies........that is NOT hijab!!! I want to shout........wear it right or dont wear it at all!!!! No you are not cute with your hair showing!!! Wow it amazes me and makes me very sad!

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Let's avoid misconceptions:

A. This isn't the state of many countries in the ARAB world. This is the state of many countries in the MUSLIM world.

B. Not all born Muslims are cut from the same cloth. The same can be said for reverts.

It really just boils down to two words: sheer ignorance

See, what happens sometimes is when you're born and raised in a Muslim country, you start to take the religion for granted and it becomes yet another part of the culture. This can lead to a lack of searching for proper 'ilm and further educating oneself on Islam because it's seen by these people as something common and not really special. As a result, ignorance is usually what plays out. Wearing jilbab without hijab, wearing hijab in tight clothes, not praying while fasting, these are all signs of ignorance.

Plus when people choose to live in ignorance, everything becomes a meaningless ritual. For example, take praying without fasting. For those of us that have looked into the subject, we know that there's basically no reason to abstain from food if we're not going to follow the rest of the rules. However, in many Muslim countries, since much of Ibaadah has now become a meaningless ritual for some, they equate fasting to simply not eating food, because that's mainly the idea that stands out when one thinks of the term "fasting".

Another thing is that these types of people exist in all countries, albeit they're in Muslim countries but they're in non-Muslim countries as well. For example, my parents are from a Muslim country but I was born and raised in a non-Muslim country. For a long time, I was raised with culture and not religion and I began taking things for granted. It was only after my interest in Islam, that I learned about the beauty of various acts of ibaadah and the significance of our rituals.

One needs to pursue knowledge in order to implement it and they won't seek that 'ilm out if they don't see the need to. We need to make dua for people like this and hopefully inshAllah one day they'll see just how lucky they are.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Let's avoid misconceptions:

A. This isn't the state of many countries in the ARAB world. This is the state of many countries in the MUSLIM world.

B. Not all born Muslims are cut from the same cloth. The same can be said for reverts.

It really just boils down to two words: sheer ignorance

See, what happens sometimes is when you're born and raised in a Muslim country, you start to take the religion for granted and it becomes yet another part of the culture. This can lead to a lack of searching for proper 'ilm and further educating oneself on Islam because it's seen by these people as something common and not really special. As a result, ignorance is usually what plays out. Wearing jilbab without hijab, wearing hijab in tight clothes, not praying while fasting, these are all signs of ignorance.

Plus when people choose to live in ignorance, everything becomes a meaningless ritual. For example, take praying without fasting. For those of us that have looked into the subject, we know that there's basically no reason to abstain from food if we're not going to follow the rest of the rules. However, in many Muslim countries, since much of Ibaadah has now become a meaningless ritual for some, they equate fasting to simply not eating food, because that's mainly the idea that stands out when one thinks of the term "fasting".

Another thing is that these types of people exist in all countries, albeit they're in Muslim countries but they're in non-Muslim countries as well. For example, my parents are from a Muslim country but I was born and raised in a non-Muslim country. For a long time, I was raised with culture and not religion and I began taking things for granted. It was only after my interest in Islam, that I learned about the beauty of various acts of ibaadah and the significance of our rituals.

One needs to pursue knowledge in order to implement it and they won't seek that 'ilm out if they don't see the need to. We need to make dua for people like this and hopefully inshAllah one day they'll see just how lucky they are.

As salamo alaikome

Ok sister I agree it stems from ignorance and not taking the deen seriously enough. So what is the answer? What can we do to help our fellow brothers and sisters realize what a precious gift Allah has given to them? I dont know if there is something that can be done but if there is I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can!

You are one of the fortunate ones sister to have had both sides of the coin shown to you. You have Muslim parents who introduced Islam with culture and you have been given the gift of breaking away and actually learning what Islam really means so that you are able to appreciate it for all that it really is. Alhamdulillah sister I envy you.

I wish there was some way to enlighten all of our brothers and sisters before its too late. I make dua everytime I pray but I also know that Allah will not improve the condition of a people until they change what is wrong with themselves!

wa salam

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I'll try to address your points as best as I can:

Ok sister I agree it stems from ignorance and not taking the deen seriously enough. So what is the answer? What can we do to help our fellow brothers and sisters realize what a precious gift Allah has given to them? I dont know if there is something that can be done but if there is I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can!

Firstly, they're lucky to have you. You've got a passion for Islam that you see lacking, and you want to help them. You know how you said, in moments of frustration you just want to go up to them and ask them what's the point of their behavior since it contradicts hijab and fasting? I'd say, go ahead and ask them that. Some might disagree with me and say that we need to be more gentle and polite with our statements, but frankly it's something I'd do as well and maybe it's the wakeup call they need. However, if you want to avoid the brash route, perhaps you could first befriend them and then talk to them from the point of view of a revert. Tell them you're from another country and you're trying to understand the local culture. Tell them that you studied Islam since you've reverted and you've learned that there are conditions to fasting and wearing hijab (for example). In this way, you'll end up providing them with proof and then wait and see what their response is. If it's something along the lines of "this is how it's always been" or "this is what our parents taught us", know you're dealing with people who've put culture first (so far). InshAllah you can serve as their wakeup call.

You are one of the fortunate ones sister to have had both sides of the coin shown to you. You have Muslim parents who introduced Islam with culture and you have been given the gift of breaking away and actually learning what Islam really means so that you are able to appreciate it for all that it really is. Alhamdulillah sister I envy you.

Well, I envy you. You're the one that willingly chose Islam for yourself and got the gift of completely having your previous sins wiped clean. JazakAllah khair for your kind words, Ukhti, but honestly, sometimes I feel that being born a Muslim was Allah's gift to me not because I'm "special". But because He probably knew I wouldn't be strong enough to go down this journey you went down to choose Islam for yourself. See, I often share this belief of mine with other born Muslims and mashAllah we really admire reverts so much. We listen to you speak of your struggles to learn about Islam (when the world is promoting so much negative propaganda). You talk about your friends and your families turning their backs on you. You talk about how difficult it is to learn Arabic and learn about the different rituals of Islam. Do you know how much reward you're getting in striving so hard for the Sake of Allah? Born Muslims are basically being shown His Mercy because we usually don't have to strive as hard as reverts to practice Islam. We're born into it and we simply have to follow the rules (which clearly seems to be impossible for some people). But reverts go through the daunting task of seeking Islam out, studying it, accepting it, and sacrificing for it. I'm not saying born Muslims don't struggle, but I truly admire the struggle of a revert. So my hat's off to you, mashAllah.

I wish there was some way to enlighten all of our brothers and sisters before its too late. I make dua everytime I pray but I also know that Allah will not improve the condition of a people until they change what is wrong with themselves!

This really is the bottom line. We can make as much dua as we want for others but in the end, if they don't truly want to change, there's little that will make it happen. Even Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala has stated that He won't help those who don't want to be helped. Perhaps, your refreshing outlook on Islam will serve to benefit those around you. After all, everything happens for a reason. Maybe there's more to why Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala chose to send you to these people.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Sisters..

Let us concentrate on pleasing Allah. Let us not take away from our fasts.
You know the Prophet Isa said do not look at the mote in another's eye when there is a log in yours.

Trust me we will have time after Ramadan for this.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As salamo alaikome

Is there still reward in the fast itself without the prayer? It makes me very sad to see my brothers and sisters not praying at anytime but during Ramadan? May Allah forgive them and keep them on the straight path Ameen!

Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi

May Allah guide them and all of us Ameen

Is it permissible to fast without praying?.

Praise be to Allaah.

No good deeds will be accepted from one who does not pray – no zakaah, no fasting, no Hajj or anything else.

Al-Bukhaari (520) narrated that Buraydah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does not pray ‘Asr, his good deeds will be annulled.”

What is meant by “his good deeds will be annulled” is that they will be rendered invalid and will be of no benefit to him. This hadeeth indicates that Allaah will not accept any good deed from one who does not pray, so the one who does not pray will not benefit at all from his good deeds and no good deed of his will be taken up to Allaah.

It seems from the hadeeth that there are two types of those who do not pray: those who do not pray at all, which annuls all their good deeds, and those who do not offer a particular prayer on a particular day, which annuls the good deeds of that day. So annulment of all good deeds happens to those who forsake all the prayers, and annulment of the good deeds of a particular day happens to the one who omits a particular prayer.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked in Fataawa al-Siyaam (p. 87) about the ruling on the fasting of one who does not pray.

He replied:

The fast of one who does not pray is not valid and is not accepted, because the one who does not pray is a kaafir and an apostate, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“But if they repent [by rejecting Shirk (polytheism) and accept Islamic Monotheism], perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah) and give Zakaah, then they are your brethren in religion”

[al-Tawbah 9:11]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Between a man and shirk and kufr stands his giving up prayer.” Narrated by Muslim, 82. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The covenant that separates us from them is prayer; whoever gives up prayer is a kaafir.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2621; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This is also the view of most of the Sahaabah, if not their consensus. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Shaqeeq (may Allaah have mercy on him), who was one of the well-known Taabi’een, said: The companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not think that omitting any action made a person a kaafir, except for prayer. Based on this, if a person fasts but he does not pray, then his fast is rejected and not accepted, and it will not avail him anything before Allaah on the Day of Resurrection. We say to him: Pray then fast, because if you fast but do not pray, then your fast will be rejected, because acts of worship are not accepted from a kaafir.

The Standing Committee (10/140) was asked: if a person is keen to fast in Ramadaan and to pray in Ramadaan only, but he stops praying as soon as Ramadaan is over, does his fasting count?

They replied:

Prayer is one of the pillars of Islam, and it is the most important pillar after the Shahaadatayn. It is an individual obligation (fard ‘ayn), and whoever does not do it because he denies that it is obligatory, or he does not do it because he is careless and lazy, is a kaafir. With regard to those who fast Ramadaan and pray in Ramadaan only, this is trying to cheat Allaah, and unfortunate indeed are those who only acknowledge Allaah in Ramadaan. Their fasting is not valid if they do not pray at times other than Ramadaan, rather this makes them kaafirs in the sense of major kufr (kufr akbar), even if they do not deny that prayer is obligatory, according to the more sound of the two scholarly opinions.

Link :- http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49698/

esperanza

revert of many years
this is just a reflection of what islamic countries and people have become. you are only living for about one year. we have spent our whole lives here and we know how much hypocrisy is in us. i wonder if i meet a good Muslim :lol:. they are long gone.

dont worry ilived twenty years in islamic country..came here as new muslim beleiving all muslims to be devout kind honest,,,,i learnt the truth a hard way

Isra

aka Tree2008
We can make as much dua as we want for others but in the end, if they don't truly want to change, there's little that will make it happen. Even Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala has stated that He won't help those who don't want to be helped. Perhaps, your refreshing outlook on Islam will serve to benefit those around you. After all, everything happens for a reason. Maybe there's more to why Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala chose to send you to these people.

As salamo alaikome

Jazakallah khairan dear sister Shahnazz! I very much appreciated your post sweet sister! I really would help them all if I was able to do so!

You suggested going up to them to ask about the hijab and honestly I would but nobody here speaks English and I unfortunately dont speak their language either! That makes communicating with them very difficult! Im doing my best not to stare at them because its very difficult for me to hide my inner feelings as they usually show all over my face so normally I just look away as quickly as possible. Anyway its not my place to judge.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalaam walaikum,

Sisters..

Let us concentrate on pleasing Allah. Let us not take away from our fasts.
You know the Prophet Isa said do not look at the mote in another's eye when there is a log in yours.

Trust me we will have time after Ramadan for this.

wa alaikome salam

Well my original post really did have a legitimate question in there somewhere relating to fasting but somehow as usual I got carried away explaining all sides of the situation so I think the question may have gotten lost in the complaint about the womens dress code in Morocco!

Sorry!

karincanay

:salam2:

I read all your posts and I feel you are talkin about somethin I see every day in my own home that I could not stop me from telling you about.

I am a revert for 3 years now alhamdulillah and my husband was born muslim but it has been a funny situation because as a new revert I started to learn more and follow the deen better than my husband.
He really thought it is enough to be born muslim and he did not have to do nothing up to the point that he used to drink alcohollik beberages and I started to louse my Iman but a second push i think from Allah came for me because I decided to take it all from the begining and don´t let him stop me, then he stated to feel embarased and changed his way. Now we together learn more and what mistakes I do he shows me and what mistakes he does I show him, every day Alhamdilillah we are little better muslims.

So the best way to teach is from the example!!!!

And I agree with sister Shahnazz when you see other muslims do "mistakes" speak with them.

:wasalam:

Isra

aka Tree2008
dont worry ilived twenty years in islamic country..came here as new muslim beleiving all muslims to be devout kind honest,,,,i learnt the truth a hard way

As salamo alaikome

Dont feel bad sister I thought the same thing too......until I woke up! :lol:

Isra

aka Tree2008

I read all your posts and I feel you are talkin about somethin I see every day in my own home that I could not stop me from telling you about.

I am a revert for 3 years now alhamdulillah and my husband was born muslim but it has been a funny situation because as a new revert I started to learn more and follow the deen better than my husband.
He really thought it is enough to be born muslim and he did not have to do nothing up to the point that he used to drink alcohollik beberages and I started to louse my Iman but a second push i think from Allah came for me because I decided to take it all from the begining and don´t let him stop me, then he stated to feel embarased and changed his way. Now we together learn more and what mistakes I do he shows me and what mistakes he does I show him, every day Alhamdilillah we are little better muslims.

So the best way to teach is from the example!!!!

And I agree with sister Shahnazz when you see other muslims do "mistakes" speak with them.

:wasalam:

As salamo alaikome

Alhamdulillah sister that your Islam is improving and you are able to help your husband! I pray Allah reward you for your effort Ameen.

Wa salam

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as-salam 'aalaikum warahamtu-llah

good to hear that you made Hijrah. masha Allah
Allah has fulfilled you desire, as you wished so, to be in Muslim lands and some dont even wish so and Allah will never made them understand even, and some are their trapped, Allah is testing them, may Allah rectify their condition. Ameen.

to respond your thread:
who said that every Muslim will be good and every Muslim will enter Jannah? individually Allah will take their account, so will be asked to a non muslim and a muslim who doesnt follow. we shouldnt think so that why do they do so, may Allah rectify their condition.

and their is no difference between a born muslim and reverted Muslim. never think like that. if someone call you that, or you even feel degraded, remember most of the Sahaba radhiAllahu anhuma ajmaeen were reverted Muslim, even our Prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam was not a born Muslim!

if we are Muslim, thats it, if we are not, then we are jahl, kuffar, zalimoon.

may Allah dignify our status may He help us to remain so,
barakAllahu feek
wassalam

A-believer-25

Yeah, there are lots of people like that even in Muslim countries as well, sadly.

May Allah (SWT) guide them, ameen!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I was thinking. (Sorry sister but this one is a good high horse! )

We have an opportunity during Ramadan to get closer to Allah. When we wish for closeness to Allah we need to understand what that means.

This is a time to reflect. This is a time to ponder the words of the Holy Quran. The Revealed Word of Allah.

I am scared. He has given me His Word. His Word. That I have been blessed to come closer to Him.

In simple words...the point is: I want Allah. And I can not wish for anything to interfere with this blessing.

So lets keep it positive. Let us make dua that all can understand We Fear Allah. We Want to Please Our Creator.

I gotta run to my Lord..He's Calling Us.