Your experience of Islamophobia??

ummsami89

stories of being a muslim

Salam aliakum. Well, I have had a few. A few days after 9/11, I was on my way back to work after lunch. A guy in a big pickup got really close to me and ran me off the road. He gave me the finger and said, " f- foreigner, go home!". I was in shock I guess, and forgot that I had a scarf on. That says I am a foreigner you know!! lol. Here I am , 100% American, in the city I was born and raised, and he is sayin all that dumb stuff. I did not realize he was talkin to me!!
Another one, I work in a major dept store and have for 11 years.(8 in hijab) I get all kinds of people. One man stopped and looked at me, looked at my badge. looked at me. said,"You have been here for 1 year(wearin an old badge). I said, well, actually more." He said, " they make you wear that for being here a year!! Subhanallah. lol
I had 1 run in with another associate but we have gotten past it. A customer asked for a specific item so I went and got it. While I was gone, the customer told the other associate she didnt want me to wait on her. She said her daughter works on the airline, and they still get "those kind of people" praying in the aisles at the airport and airplane! "Those kind of people!! Anyway, I came back and the other associate was helping her. They were talking about 9/11, terrorism, etc. The customer left. I asked the other associate what they were talking about. (Wish I didnt!! lol). She said they were discussing such and such. Uh oh. She then said, "Jamie, there are people out there who want to kill us, dont like our freedom, etc. "Ever hear of the word, Jihad??!! OHMYGOD. iT WAS LIKE SHE shot me. I was flabbergasted this came out. I had to walk away from it. I was so mad. Yes, I did report it. They didnt do much about it really.
Another time, I was wearing a black hijab with white cap. I was in the grocery. A customer said,"hello sister.". I said hello. And then, realized why she called me that. I was wearing it like a nun's habit.!! I said to myself, "I am not YOUR SISTER!! lol
have a good day, inshallah.
Subhanallah.

island muslim

Asalaamu Alaikum Island Muslimah,

May Allah reward you. He just finished his PhD in Computer Science so he's looking for preferably an Assistant Professor position or even a Lecturer position. I think he would settle for an industry job at a company if we could go to UAE Insha'Allah. Please don't trouble yourself though. Even if you do happen to know someone, if you feel at all uncomfortable asking for him, I would completely understand. :blackhijab:

Subhan'Allah, Zaynab123, people are silly and rude sometimes.

Ivonne, Masha'Allah, that's so sweet that the kids like your hijab. You must have light (noor) in your face! :ma:

Wa alaiykum salaaam sister Nichole,

I am a brother :)
and I am very sorry for the late response due to circumstances, please forgive your brother.

Sister, your husband is over qualified to go to some silly job in a commercial company in Dubai i feel as my friend is only recruiting for the commercial sector in UAE. And also since your husband has these excellent qualifications I have no doubt that he would be accepted in Saudi Arabia in aa teaching post in any of their Uni's which will be 100% better than UAE which is now not so Islamic unfortunately due to them focussing more on maing money than wealth.

Please write to their Ministry of Education and also their Uni's especially a new one about to open next year which is a huge Uni.
If you need more details I would be more than happy to help inshaallah.

Again I am sorry for the long delay in reply.

Looking forward to a response sister.

May allah keep you and your family happy and upon the straight path ameen

Amina 1

Assalam Alaikum,

I just wanted to ask if you knew where any halal places where I could move?? I live in the US I don't have much money I have heard that there is a large population of muslims in Texas Would that be considered Halal if I move there. Every where here seems to be surronded in Haram. May Allah bless you for your patience and thank you for any information that you could give me.

Amina 1

I had a woman ask me if my hijab was my hair!! How can someone think it is my hair??? I was sitting in the parking lot of walmart. I was reading a letter before I went in and a women drove by in her car then she screeched to a stop backed up faced her car towards mine and turned on the light high beam. then pulled next to my car looked at me like she was really scared. She flipped open her cell phone made a call I guess as soon as she was connected jumped out of her car and walked in front of mine talking on her phone waving her hands standing in front of my car. Then she got in her car and drove away. I got out of my car and me and my son started walking to the walmart when security pulled up and followed me to the door of the store and then the security inside followed me for about ten minutes around the store . Then I suppose they finally figured out I was harmless and left me alone. I think that woman called security on me. When I came out There was a big black bag of garbage stuffed under my front wheel. I was disgusted and moved it to the side. Then I decided to take it to the trash which was in front of the store. Halfway there I thought Hey I am probally going to get jumped Muslim carrying suspicous black bag to front of store. I was nervous . But Hamdulillah just then two brothers saw me and helped me carry it to the trash. The security searched the bag first. But everything turned out fine Allaho Akhbar.

nafesa

muslim gurl
:salam2:
I had few experiences once me and my friend came in lesson and as soon as we sat down the teacher who was Muslim asked us do you wear the hijab at home, does your dad see your hair, do you have to wear it in front of your dad and brothers me and my friend looked at each other speechless because we knew that the teacher was Muslim then after while we said to him no we don’t wear it at home and we don’t wear it in front of our brothers and dad. A Muslim said that to us what do you think the non-Muslims says and think so sisters and brothers we need to have sabr this is nothing compare to what the companions of the prophet went through all we can say is may Allah guide them to the straight path surely we can never guide whom Allah misguides and we can never misguide whom Allah guides and give da’wah tell them that Islam is not what they see from T.V all the suicides and terrorist stuff they see from T.V is not the real Muslims. And as sister palatine said it's an opportunity to make da'wah whether they like it or not.
:wasalam:

RabiALLAH

La Ilaha Illa ALLAH
Asalaamu Alaikum

Island Muslim, I totally agree with your post. Insha'Allah my husband and I are looking for a place to make hijra to. He's applying to every job possible. Please make dua that we are able to get out of the land of the modern-day-Firawn Insha'Allah.

wow... this is bravery: to all of you who have written your experiences, to you Nicole too
I feel so proud of you. I pray Allah swt to grant you more patient and strength to go on with your life, Allah is protecting you. to you Nicole may Allah swt make it easy for you and your husband to find another place and job.

I am feel too little to tell that I know girls (Muslims) do not wear Hijab, do not like to wear hijab, do like to talk about wearing hijab on day. Born like that and grown up like that, with no respect to Deen.
So many things feel shams to talk about them, may Allah swt help us and guide us all ameen ya Rab

RabiALLAH

La Ilaha Illa ALLAH
Assalam Alaikum,

I just wanted to ask if you knew where any halal places where I could move?? I live in the US I don't have much money I have heard that there is a large population of muslims in Texas Would that be considered Halal if I move there. Every where here seems to be surronded in Haram. May Allah bless you for your patience and thank you for any information that you could give me.

may Allah swt show you the way to his Halal and keep you away from Harm
Halal is where you can live in peace practicing Deen , wearing Hijab, go to Masjid, have a decent job, may Allah make it easy for you my sister to find the place,,, Ameen . it is always ask from Muslims who left their countries to work at USA or in Eroup for example , can not practice Islam, find it hard to raise their children or can not find a decent job (in a rest to serve alcholic drinks and so on) to make Hijrah to Islamic countries or come back to their countries. wa ALLAH a'alam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Heart Soothing Quran Recitations (that I've found yesterday at 2:30 at night, LoL.)

[yt]B1QPLXM_qZc[/yt]

[yt]5mnAdGlzYJg[/yt]

[yt]UqAoj6iW8tA[/yt]

[yt]8cswC1JipfA[/yt]

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
wow im surprised and mashallah muslims sisters are so strong ... i didn't have many experience but I was on yahoo answers once and this guy asked a question
"If muslims cant have sex how do they have kids", i couldn't stop laughing i was like on the floor laughing oh it was so funny LOL i did tell him we cud have sex when we are married but it was too funny lol like extremely
2nd incident wasn't so funny it was hurtful, In high school which i had been going for 4 years, everyone knew me ... i was in the badminton team and was pretty gud, im not trying to brag but i actually had a strong contribution in the success of our badminton team, anywayz everyone really respected me or so i thought I would always get claps in the class or in the athletic meeting I would get the most cheers, anywayz i didn't care i just liked playing sports but later on in grade 12 i found out many of the people had been calling me a terrorist while knowing me, and making jokes about me and saying racist things, it hurt me cuz some of them were my best friends (or so i thought) and i had known them for 4 years
So well thats my story -- and for sure its not where compare to wat other bro/sisters faced
Also, you sisters are so lucky u get to do dawa! I wish i had similar oppurtunity but since everything was behind my back i never got a chance to talk to everyone
aslam o alikum

AyeshaL

I've had a few funny instances regarding people's reactions - the first is ignorance in action and the second I'm just posting cos i hope it will bring a smile to your face!

1) I was working as an events manager and the event we were running had begun so we were sitting in the office when a (previously known) crazy woman came in and tried to get in the lecture theatre. I positioned myself right infront of the door to the theatre and she got past four members of staff - including a security guard - before she got to me. I then said 'Madam, the event has started, I'm sorry but you really can't go in' and she grabbed my arm and spat 'You stupid sikh!' and stormed out. The ignorance of some people still shocks me!!

2) As a white, English revert I've often been asked by born Muslims 'Are you Muslim?'. My best reply to date has been (while pointing at my hijaab) - "No, I just wear this for fun'....their confused faces are always a picture hahahahahaha

Idris16

^^That was funny, I can't even imagine their faces:D
But anyway

I was in the mosque yesterday praying 'Asr and my friends showed me old letters sent to my local mosque, and the letters were written by islamophobes.
they wrote, ''we want a muslim-free Europe'' it really made me kind of happy because it's an honor to be hated by Allah's enemies.

They also copied pictures and old stories of muslims that was arrested, stoned, and they also showed pics of even muslim boys and girls saying that Islam was fascism.

Islamophobia exists everywhere....

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

the other day someone said to me that was really hurtful,
this girl told me
"She rather have all muslims dead than have a million dollar"
it was so sad to hear that

Idris16

^She should know that it's her countries fault for supporting Israel. since hamas won the elections canada stopped sending aid to Gaza, u see they dont follow democracy themselves.

Sanaa01

Muslima

Reading all your post made me laugh and sad same time on the way sometimes we get treated. living in the west its harder on Muslim women than men due to hijab may Allah SWT make it easy for us

before I started wearing hijaab I had a white neighbor who she was very eager to be friend with me anyway she used to come over and I go to her house she always asked if we need help with anything in Christmas time she would bring gift for my son including booklet and DVD about Jesus she didn't know that I am Muslim anyway after I started wearing hijaab one time I walked from my house to get the mail wearing hijaab and I said hi she said hi but she kept staring all the way I think she was shocked to learn that I was Muslim
one time I was loading some stuff into my car getting ready to leave my house my son 2 years old was playing with the lock on the door and locked the door on me didn't know how to open it so he was inside and I was outside didn't have a cell phone with me to call my husband to come and open the door so I went and knocked on her door so I can use the phone her car was outside and I know she was home but she didn’t want to answer the door for me I was so frustrated and my son was crying inside the house so I went to another neighbors and used the phone and my husband arrived from work and opened the door for us
So her reactions completely changed after learning that I was a Muslim she never talks to us like used to be when I meet her outside I say hi to her and she replies hi and turn her face quickly

Another incident was when I was driving in a parking lot and this women with piercing all over her face taught I was driving too fast and started yelling so I slowed down even thought I wasn’t driving very fast and said sorry she noticed I was wearing hijaab and I heard her saying something like this is America go home you….something (used bad word) she boiled my blood I almost stopped the car to respond to her but my sister told me to just ignore her and I just drove off

amir011

Salam aleykum
Since im a convert and swedish i dont look so much as a muslim so i dont have so much pbs but i remember once a man told me after knowing that im a muslim that its imposible for me to be a muslim cuze im blond:p

We also have some politicians that dosnt like muslims and one politician got the question what to do with all muslims in Sweden so she said that they should all be snet back home, and when she got the question abt the swedish converts who dosnt belong to any arab or muslim country she said that they should simply be killed...

9Amatullah9

wasalaam

Wa Alaykom Assalam Wa RahmatuAllah

LOL! All the stories were great, I cannot believe people are sooo ignorant.. subhaanAllah.. :D

The funniest thing that happened to me was when I went to Egypt with my family ( I am the only muslim in my family, and I wear hijab ). We went to sharm el shaykh, because my mum and dad wanted us to go somewhere "safe" ( read: full of tourists). So there we are at the hotel, which is full of tourists, non-muslims, and there is this german lady with her husband(?). And we went to the hotels restaurant to eat and she comes to us and says "I'm very sorry to disturb your dinner, but I have seen you here couple times now and I am wondering what is going on..One man ( my father) and three women, what is this?" At this point I was about to choke to my food because I found it so funny, I guess she thought that my dad has three wives because one of the girls is wearing hijab! :D And then I say "well, what is going on is that this is my father, and my mother and my sister, and we are trying to enjoy our holiday" and I smiled at her. And she totally ignores me. That made me a little angry, but then she goes to my sister "why is that (pointing me) wearing THAT (pointing my scarf)?" And my sister starts replying to her, but I say "because I am a muslim convert and I LOVE ISLAM". At this point she looks shocked and people in the other close tables stare at me as if I had just shouted out the most terrible curse. LOL. And then one brother who was working in the restaurant goes like "Allahu akbar!!" :D And that woman leaves us alone still looking confused and shocked.

Omg, even my parents were laughing at her stupidity. :D

My sister keeps reminding me of this all the time. LOL.

There are many other situations too, but this is my "favourite".

Wasalaam,
Amatullah