Blind following. What is it?

Gernada1492

A Muslim
just was thinking over this word and i wud like to know your thoughts about blind following. What you call it and is that ok or not?

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum,

well, I dont know much...but here are my thoughts.
Many born Muslims follow their parents foot steps which might be full of Bid'ah. They follow blindly meaning, they dont question what they do. I have been like that for awhile....some of our parents don't even have the correct aqeedah:( subhanaAllaah, and we ended up following them. I didnt know I was blind following till I studied the deen for myself alhamdulillah:)
blind following can also mean following an Imam just because he "looks" like Imam. There are many people who apparently teach Islam nowadays....but we have to know non all of them are basing their deen on Qur'an and Sunnah upon the understanding of the salif as-salih.
We'll be safe from that as long as we seek the knowledge for ourselves inshaAllaah.
-I hope that makes sense....I am too sleepy, I gotta bounce.
Night everyone,
Salaam!

Gernada1492

A Muslim
thanks sister.

I understand that we shud not blicndly follow our parents but wat if they are ver religious and follow teh correct aqeedah and all that?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum wa rahmatu-llah

I think you are talking about TAQLEED-blindly following any Madh-hab.....right?
I cant post you a better vdo response except this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il8VIGRnneA

if you have any further question u can ask or even search for threads in TTI
may Allah subhanahu wa ta'la forgive us all and save us from Bidah and shirk

Jazakum Allahu khair
wassalam

Tariq Rahman

Practising Muslim
Assalamu alaikum WRWB (May Allah (SWT) blessings & mercy be on all of you)

We are Muslim and Ummah of Last Prophet Muhammed (SAW) He left us two things and said whoever hold to this will never go astray "Quran" and "Sunnah"

It is complusory for every muslim to get the knowledge by himself and it is said in "Quran"

And We have indeed made the Qur'ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)? (Al-Qamar 54:17)

May Allah (SWT) keep all muslim brothers & sisters away from bid'ah Ameen!

Jazak Allah Khair..
May Allah (SWT) forgive all our mistakes/sins and guide us to the straight path, the path of those who have received his grace & mercy Ameen!

Kakorot

thanks sister.

I understand that we shud not blicndly follow our parents but wat if they are ver religious and follow teh correct aqeedah and all that?
If you know that they follow the correct aqeedah, then there's not really an issue. But if they do anything, which you think seems a bit dodgy or your not too sure about, then you can always go check it up to see if there is any evidence.

Anyway, it's always good to check yourself, even if they're right.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:,

blind following in Islam: following a particular imam/scholar in everything he says or do.

you can follow imams of 4 major schools of thought....hanafi, shafi, maliki, hanbali (schools) as these imam were mujtahid (they had profound knowledge of Quran and sunnah and can deduct rulings).

but if you follow ur local imam or some other unknown scholar blindly...you can be at risk.

the beliefs and actions should be according to Quran and sunnah. no matter wht imams or scholars say.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
thanks sister.

How do you know that it is correct? There are Muslims who follow their father, but their father may tell him that blowing yourself up is a sure way to Jannah.

That is blind following, trusting in someone you SHOULD trust and not knowing for yourself. I was a blind follower in Christianity, the only way I got out was finally reading for myself and saying..."Okay, I dont believe this."

Gernada1492

A Muslim
so every time when some one tells me anything, i need to open the book and see it myself? untill then, i wont be practicing that thing?

U meant that sister alf? or brother alf

Kakorot

so every time when some one tells me anything, i need to open the book and see it myself? untill then, i wont be practicing that thing?

U meant that sister alf? or brother alf
If someone tells you something, you yourself don't necesserily have to look it up. Just ask them for proof from the qur'aan and/or sunnah and if they don't provide it, even if the person is a scholar, then don't follow them, because that would be blind following.

For example, someone tells you to celebrate the Prophet's :saw2: birthday, you ask them for the proof (and of course there is no proof for this), so you don't follow them.

Gernada1492

A Muslim
What a cute reply sister channa . But wat if some one tells me that eat from left hand or drink water while standing. Shud i also ask him for the proof? this is wat i meant

Kakorot

What a cute reply sister channa . But wat if some one tells me that eat from left hand or drink water while standing. Shud i also ask him for the proof? this is wat i meant

As Muslims, we're supposed to eat with our right hand because the shaytaan eats with his left hand. Plus, we use our left hand in the washroom and most likely when dealing with dirt, so how can one use their left hand to eat?

Drinking water while sitting is sunnah.

Yes, if anyone tells you to do anything which is to do with the deen or contradicts it, then of course you have to ask for proof.

Gernada1492

A Muslim
and wat if i dont know that if i shud drink water while sitting or standing and some one just tells me that u shud drink it whle stasnding.. shud i research first? for even sucha thing?

sliver

As Muslims, we're supposed to eat with our right hand because the shaytaan eats with his left hand. Plus, we use our left hand in the washroom and most likely when dealing with dirt, so how can one use their left hand to eat?

Drinking water while sitting is sunnah.

Yes, if anyone tells you to do anything which is to do with the deen or contradicts it, then of course you have to ask for proof.

Being a Lefty isn't a reason?

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Saalam alaikum wa rahmatu-llah

no way at all brother. mhassan10. the clear hadeeth of prophet salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam is:
" laa taqulu bi-sshimaal, wa laa tashrabu bisshimal, innash shaitana ya kulu wa yashrabu bishhimaal "
dont eat or drink with the left. coz shaitan eat and drink with left. shimaal means the left.
this is because shaitan dont do what we do, they always do the opposite, so we should not follow them at all....and thats why, even if we are Muslim,yet we recite Surah Kafiroon, to declair thet we are not among the disbelivers.

I hope that clears your conception, inshaa'Allah.
now ques can come, so why Allah made someone lefty, its a test for him/may be. and he/she must be happy that Allah has chosen him/her to be tested.

and Allah knows the best.
wassalam

Gernada1492

A Muslim
no question of left and right here..

i want to say that shud i search for the proof for little things as well ? and at that very moment?

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
If someone tells you something, you yourself don't necesserily have to look it up. Just ask them for proof from the qur'aan and/or sunnah and if they don't provide it, even if the person is a scholar, then don't follow them, because that would be blind following.

For example, someone tells you to celebrate the Prophet's :saw2: birthday, you ask them for the proof (and of course there is no proof for this), so you don't follow them.

Sister Channa, you had a very good example there:ma: :D

may Allaah reward you and bless you always. ameen:hearts:

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
no question of left and right here..

i want to say that shud i search for the proof for little things as well ? and at that very moment?

little things can end up been huge if it has to do with Islam.....so yea you have research for yourself, if it's not at the moment, some other time inshaAllaah.
TTI is a perfect place to start searching.....ask the question and you get the answers.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

There is a concurrent thread on critical error. Brother Ayman posted an excellent response. I am still digesting it.