Eating Together Or From The Same Plate??

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
:salam2:
As I live in a hostel, there are many non-muslims living around me, and cannot avoid it. The thing is that i even have a non muslim as my friend or so as she thinks. She sometimes invites me to have food with her n i am not able to say no. I just wanted to know is being friends or eating from the same plate with a non Muslim allowed or not? coz many a times i feel guilty about it...
i need help regarding to how should i treat her and other non muslims studying with me...

jazakallah khairan..
:wasalam:

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Assalamu`alaykum

Yes it is allowed there is no harm eating with them from the same plate as long as its halaal.

Narrated from Anas that a Jew invited the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to eat barley bread and other food, and he accepted the invitation. (Narrated by Ahmad, 13201, with a saheeh isnaad

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
Assalamu`alaykum

Yes it is allowed there is no harm eating with them from the same plate as long as its halaal.

Narrated from Anas that a Jew invited the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to eat barley bread and other food, and he accepted the invitation. (Narrated by Ahmad, 13201, with a saheeh isnaad

alhamdulillah and thanks brother for ur reply:ma:... I wanted to go on with the 2nd question.. are we allowed to be frnds with non muslims?

sachin4islam

As I live in a hostel, there are many non-muslims living around me, and cannot avoid it. The thing is that i even have a non muslim as my friend or so as she thinks. She sometimes invites me to have food with her n i am not able to say no. I just wanted to know is being friends or eating from the same plate with a non Muslim allowed or not? coz many a times i feel guilty about it...
i need help regarding to how should i treat her and other non muslims studying with me...

jazakallah khairan..
:wasalam:

Assalam Alaikum: The question sounds ridiculous to me. Aren't Non-Muslims Human beings?. I am a Muslim and my Mum a Hindu,can I not have meal together with my Mum from same plate?. I eat with my Mum quite often from same plate.

Regards.

Al-bint

Smile! It's Sunnah!
Salaam alaikum,
brother u are right... it sounded ridiculous to me too... i just wanted to clear my confusion.
As I had heard that we should not take for companions ppl who are disbelievers. Thats all. anyway thanks for your reply...

May Allah guide us all...
Ameen

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

nothing is ridicolous when it comes to ask questions about our religion, alhamdulillah.

Here is a fatwa inshaAllah explaining the issue, wa Allahu 'alam:

Making friends with a kaafir woman

Is it allowed for a muslim woman to be friends with a non-muslim woman who is very decent, without neglecting her one religion and is there a severe punishment if she does?

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly making friends with a kaafir woman will adversely affect her religious commitment, because a kaafir woman does not behave in the same manner or have the same attitude as a Muslim woman, and she does not worship Allaah according to the religion of Islam. Therefore she will not avoid doing things that may adversely affect this Muslim woman who may be deceived by the modest dress or good manners of this kaafir woman, especially in matters that will adversely affect her religious commitment.

Similarly, making friends with her may lead to some kind of approval in one's heart for the rituals that she does as part of her own religion, and this will weaken the sense of friendship and enmity for the sake of Allaah (al-wala’ wa’l-bara’).

Indeed, it may lead some ignorant people to disapprove of the ruling of Allaah that the kaafirs are disbelievers who will abide in Hell forever – we seek refuge with Allaah. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not keep company with anyone but a believer and do not let anyone eat your food but one who is pious.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2395; Abu Dawood, 4832; classed as saheeh by Ibn Hibbaan, 2/314; classed as hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7341).

We do not mean, however, that this Muslim woman should cut herself off completely from the kaafir woman; she may visit with her, visit her when she is sick and give her gifts, but without forming an emotional attachment or joining in their festivals and celebrations. And the Muslim woman should aim, in those visits and gift-giving, to call this kaafir woman to Islam. This is what our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, as is mentioned in two hadeeths:

1 – It was narrated from Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib that his father said: “When Abu Taalib was on his deathbed, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon him, and Abu Jahl and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Umayyah were present. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘O uncle, say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and I will plead for you before Allaah.’ Abu Jahl and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Umayyah said: ‘O Abu Taalib, will you turn away from the religion of ‘Abd al-Muttalib?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I will keep on praying for forgiveness for you until I am forbidden (by Allaah) to do so.” Then the following aayah was revealed:

“It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allaah’s forgiveness for the Mushrikoon, even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief)”

[al-Tawbah 9:113]

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4398; Muslim, 24

2 – It was narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “There was a Jewish boy who used to serve the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he fell sick. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to visit him; he sat by his head and said, ‘Become Muslim.’ The boy looked at his father, who was present, and he (the father) said: ‘Obey Abu’l-Qaasim (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ So he became Muslim, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left, saying, ‘Praise be to Allaah Who has saved him from the Fire.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1290.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission to Asma’ bint Abi Bakr to receive her mushrik mother (when she came to visit her), and ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) gave a gift of a garment to his mushrik brother.

It was narrated that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “My mother came to visit me at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she was a mushrik. So I consulted the Messenger of Allaah, (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and asked him, ‘My mother wants to visit me and expects me to treat her kindly; should I uphold the ties of kinship with my mother?’ He said, ‘Yes, uphold the ties of kinship with your mother.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2477; Muslim, 1003

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “ ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab saw a silken garment being sold at the door of the mosque. He said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, why don’t you buy it and wear it on Fridays and when the delegations come to you?’ He said, ‘This is worn by one who has no share in the Hereafter.’ Later on some silken garments were brought and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave one to ‘Umar. He said, ‘Are you giving me this to wear when you said what you said about the garment of ‘Utaarid?’ He said, ‘I did not give it to you to wear.’ So ‘Umar gave it to a mushrik brother of his in Makkah to wear.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2470; Muslim 2068.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said: There is nothing wrong with visiting kaafirs in order to call them to Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) visited his paternal uncle Abu Taalib when he was dying and called him to Islam, and he visited the Jewish boy and called him to Islam.

But visiting kaafirs in order to have a good time with them is not permitted, because it is obligatory to hate them and shun them. It is permissible to accept their gifts because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) accepted gifts from some of the kaafirs, such as the gift from al-Muqawqis the ruler of Egypt. But it is not permissible to congratulate them on the occasion of their festivals because this implies befriending them and approving of their falsehood.

Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Shaykh al-Fawzaan, 1/255

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

:jazaak:

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam~

This question isn't ridiculous actually...

The Qur'an states to avoid being allies with kaffirs several times.

I go to an all-girls school alhamdulillah, and living in Leicester it's extremely diversed. I have class mates which I talk to about Islam, and if they mock Islam I don't have them as enemies but I forgive and try to stay away.

Talk to her about Islam, see what she thinks.
Kaffirs have a bad influence because they have no intention or awareness of being good because of the akhira.
I've been around kaffir influences... Swearing in every sentence, boys boys boys, make up, tight skirts, that's what you should really stay away from.

Love this friend of yours as if you're inviting her to Islam, if she's a bad influence stay away

Hope this helped.

Allahu A'alam!

auroran

Even the kaffirs that seem friendly (meaning the ones who don't talk about boys or wear mini-skirts) shoot down Islam. A girl belonging to a group called Radha Soami constantly tells me of movies she watches about Muslim girls being beaten, or the Taliban, and she asked me one time about a Muslim girl who was religious questioning Islam on the subject of slaughtering animals for Allah.

She was actually my 'friend'! These kaffirs, thinking they know about Islam!

Isra

aka Tree2008
it is obligatory to hate them and shun them.

As salamo alaikome

I have struggled and struggled with this issue I cant even tell you how many times!!!! I read in Quran about shunning the disbelievers and not associating with them! It has been a source of constant confusion in my heart because you see I am a recent revert of only 2 years!!! ALL of my family but most importantly my children are non-Muslims!!!! I have questioned over and over again "am I supposed to turn my back to my own children????"

I have to say even if this is obligatory I cannot bring myself to do it!!! May Allah forgive me if I am doing something wrong but I love my children with all of my heart and the mere thought of never being near them kills me inside!

"IT IS OBLIGATORY TO HATE THEM"???? Impossible for me Im sorry!!!! I just cant do it!

Salam2You

Lil' Muslimah
Salam sister Isra!

Please, save your children and family from the hell fire!
Of course if I was in your situation I'd be stuck, but invite them to Islam!

Insha'Allah you'll get more replies on your question my dear sister

JenGiove

Salaam alaikum,
brother u are right... it sounded ridiculous to me too... i just wanted to clear my confusion.
As I had heard that we should not take for companions ppl who are disbelievers. Thats all. anyway thanks for your reply...

May Allah guide us all...
Ameen

:salam2: Sister,

Yes, that is correct but with all due respect to the fatwah that Moderator sister Um Muhammad al-mahdi posted, there is a single "fact" contained in it that I disagree with, at least conditionally.

fatwah said:
Therefore she will not avoid doing things that may adversely affect this Muslim woman who may be deceived by the modest dress or good manners of this kaafir woman, especially in matters that will adversely affect her religious commitment.

I am not a Muslim and I can only speak for my own behaviour and not for the general population, but, for myself, I try very hard to shield my Muslim sisters from things that are in my life that may adversely affect their deen. Also, I remind my sisters of hadiths as needed <and that is in my knowledge> and there have been many times where I've reminded my sisters to pay attention to prayer times so as not to miss them since we were talking on skype or instant messenger.

I love my sisters and I respect their love of their religion, which I find logical. Because of that love, I do not want to harm them in any way. It doesn't matter that I do not believe, THEY do and so out of respect for them, I learn what I can so as not to draw them away from their path in this Dunyah and the Hereafter.

There are several instances where Mohammad took a non-Muslim as a protector and trustees. I will qoute from the book "Muslim and non-Muslim Relation" by Dr. Saeed Ismaeel Sieny. I received this book from the KSA free books link that is posted here on TTI:

Chapter 1- The Basic Rule

Islam does not leave any aspect of the human life without setting its required guidelines. For each aspect it sets a basic rule, which goes in harmony with the basic rules of other aspects, to indicate in the end, that there is but one creator and one perfect legislator. The basic rule usually functions as an axis around which the secondary rules and exceptions revolve. The relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims is no exception.

The basic rule for the relation between Muslims and non-Muslims is based on a few verses. The first: {We have not sent you except as a mercy for the universe}. (1) This verse clearly assures that Islam is a mercy for all accountable beings, both humans and the Jinn. (2) Islam is a mercy because it guides to felicity and happiness in both this world and in the Hereafter. But is Islam a mercy for those who choose it as their guidance or should Muslims force people and the Jinn to accept it?

Here, the second verse comes to assure that: {There is no compultion in religion. The truth stands out clear frm error.}(3) The third verse, specifically, defines the kind of relationship that should prevail between those who accept Islam and those who reject it. The Glorious Quraan reads: {Allah does not forbid you from those who did not fight you and did not drive you out of your homes, to deal justly or to do them favors, for Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you from taking guardians of those whom have fought you because of the religion and have driven you out of your homes or helped in driving you out of your homes, for those are the aggressors.}(4)

Supportive and Neutral Non-Muslims

When we review Muslims' experience with the non-Muslims throughout history, we find many examples of neutral or even supportive non-Muslims. Yes, there are some fierce enemies of Islam and Muslims, but this is not always the case.

We all know of the protection and support rentered by Abu Talib to his nephew, the Prophet (pbuh), although Abu Talib was not a Muslim and chose to die as such.(63) We cannot ignore that during the battle of Hawazin, Safwan son of Umayyah who was not a Muslim lent Muslims a large amount of weaponry. (64) The Prophet was visiting a Jewish boy who was sick and asked him to accept Islam. Then the boy's father encouraged his son to respond to the request of the Prophet. (65) The clan of Bani Hashim, although not Muslim, voluntarily joined their cousins, the clan of Bani Abdul Muttalib, in the seige imposed by the Tribe of Quraish on the Prophet, and his clan bani Abdul Muttalib. (66)

Some non-Muslims also aides the Muslims during this siege by providing food secretly, while others worked on abolishing the siege document signed by Quraish. (67) After the death of the Prophet's uncle he went to Taif to call its people to Islam but they only encouraged their children to throw stones at the Prophet. The Prophet felt deeply hurt and humiliated, but al-Mut'am bin 'Aydi helped him to return to Mecca under his and his sons protection. The Prophet was grateful for his help and after the victory of the battle of Badr -although al-Mut'am died as an unbeliever- the Prophet said: "if al-Mut'am bin Adyi were alive and asked me to free the captives, I would have freed them for him." (68) Indeed, this is the kind of gratitude that suits the excellent characture of the Prophet (pbuh).

It is also suitable, in this respect, to mention the story of Abu Bakr who was going to leave Mecca to save himself from the harassment of Quraish. But Ibn ad-Doghonnah, a non-Muslim, persuaded him not to leave Mecca by offering him his protection, saying to Abu Bakr: "A person like you should not be driven out of his home. You help the needy, take care of kinship, feed the poor, honor the guest, and extend your help when disaster befalls."(69)

The Prophet (pbuh) trusted Abdullah ibn al-Oraiqit, a npon-Muslim, as a guide in his secret migration to Medina. This is a strong indication that not all non-Muslims are alike, especially when we know that the non-Muslims in Mecca offered a very big reward for the one who would bring in the Prophet to them.(70) On another occasion, the Prophet (pbuh) also trusted ibn Abi Hadrad, a non-Muslim, to spy on the army of Thaqeef, which was a very critical situation. (71)

This is not to say that these non-Muslims loved Islam but rather to say that being a non-Muslim does not always mean dislike or hatred for Muslims or plotting against Islam. Rejecting Islam for ones self is one thing and hatred for Islam is another thing. In fact there are non-Muslims who appreciate Islam but have no courage to change their religion and what they are used to. Perhaps, the difference is not visible to many people, but there is a critical difference. Non-Muslims may not like the Muslims' religion, but they may appreciate their treatment or the benefits they get from true Muslims. In other words, Muslims and non-Muslims could share the same interest, but with different motivations. This fact does not rule out the existence of wicked or hostile non-Muslims, who hatred for Islam has blinded them from not only the truth but also from justice.

(1) Glorious Quraan, 21: 107; and see for the commentary of Ibn Taimiyah on this verse in Majmooa: vol1: 305-306.

(2) Jinn are some invisible creatures but could appear under various forms, both human and animals. They are itelligent enough to be responsible for their decisions and have special powers, such as moving very fast from one place to another. They were created from fire free of smoke.

(3) Glorious Quraan, 2:256.

(4) Glorious Quraan, 60:8-9; and see the commentary of as-Saieedi on other related verses pp. 20-24.

(63) Ibn Hisham, trans. Guillaume pp. 238-243.

(64) Ibn Hishan, trans. Guillaume vol 118-9.

(65) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol. 2: 246; Ibn al-Qayyim, Ahkam. pp 200-202.

(66) Ibn Hisham, trans. Guillaume pp. 172-5

(67) Ibn Hisham, Guillaume pp. 172-5

(68) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 4: 239-240; and see the comment of al-'As-Qalani on the Hadeeth.

(69) al-Bukhar, trans. Khan: vol 5: 158-9.

(70) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 5 157-66.
My personal opinion is this, there will be times when your female "friend" will innocently invite you to do things that are haraam in Islam. At those moments, gently share with her the teachings of Islam and stick with your deen. At other times, there will be times when she may learn something and remind you of what is taught. Thank her for enjoining good and forbidding evil. If you loves you for the sake of Allah, she will be more than willing to respect your beliefs and will not want to expose you to harm through her behaviours. She may not accept them for herself, but it doesn't mean that you can not enjoy her companionship.

All of this, of course, is based solely on my personal opinion and should only be seen that way.

Be well....

JenGiove

As salamo alaikome

I have struggled and struggled with this issue I cant even tell you how many times!!!! I read in Quran about shunning the disbelievers and not associating with them! It has been a source of constant confusion in my heart because you see I am a recent revert of only 2 years!!! ALL of my family but most importantly my children are non-Muslims!!!! I have questioned over and over again "am I supposed to turn my back to my own children????"

I have to say even if this is obligatory I cannot bring myself to do it!!! May Allah forgive me if I am doing something wrong but I love my children with all of my heart and the mere thought of never being near them kills me inside!

"IT IS OBLIGATORY TO HATE THEM"???? Impossible for me Im sorry!!!! I just cant do it!

Worry not sister..

From the book "Muslim and Non-Muslim Relation" by Dr. Saeed Ismaeel Sieny as I quoted from in my previous post:

The Kinship Bound:

The difference in faith did not prevent Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) from advising Muslims to take good care of people of Egypt in general predicting: You are going to conquer Egypt, be good to them. They have the right of kinship."(26) The Prophet was referring to his grand grand mother Hagar, wife of Prophet Abraham, and to his wife Maryiah., may Allah be pleased with them. It should be kept in mind that according to the Quraan the wives of the Prophet are entitled to the title: "Mother of the Believers." (27)

Acknowledging the rights of kinship in spite of difference of religion, the Prophet (pbuh) was reported to say: "The family of X is not my guardians and trustees because my guardians and trustees are Allah and the pious believers, but they have kinship rights which I should fulfill."(28) Acting on this principle the Prophet (pbuh) fulfilled this right even in the case of one of the worst enemies of Islam then, Quraish, during the peace treaty period. When the chief of Bani Haneefah tribe became a Muslim he swore that he would prevent his tribe from selling wheat to Quraish unless the Prophet 9pbuh) gave his permission. The Prophet gave his permission upon the request of Quraish.(29)

On another occasion, the Prophet approved his daughter's expression of love or special sympathy for her husband, Abal al-'As, even though at the time, he was not a Muslim. She sent a precious necklace, which she had inherited from her deceased mother, to free her husband from captivity. The Prophet was moved by love for his daughter and the memory of his deceased wife, and asked the Muslims to give permission to free his daughter's husband, which was granted. (30) So, Abul-'As was released under the promise that he would send the Prophet's daughter to her father in Medina, which he fulfilled. No wonder the Prophet, on one occasion praised him for what he did, even though abul 'As was still a non-Muslim, by publicly attesting: "Abul 'As promised me and he fulfilled his promise."(31) The Prophet also approved the asylum that Um Hani (a niece of the Prophet (pbuh) granted to two non-believers who were kin of her husband, during the conquest of Mecca.(32)

Acting on the same principle the second Guided Caliph, Umar, sent his non-Muslim brother a piece of clothing as a present. (33) As a matter of fact, Umar was known to be very strict in implementing the Islamic teachings, to the degree that Satan always avoided his path. (34)

Indeed, the Glorious Quraan clearly confirms the rights of Kinship of non-Muslim relatives, for Allah says: {We have enjoined on man kindness to parents, but if they strive or force you to worship with Me things which you have no knowledge, do not obey them.}(35) In another verse Allah says: {And We have enjoined on man to be good to his parents. His mother bore his, in travail upon travail. And in two years was his weaning. Show gratitude to Me and to your parents. To Me is the final destiny, and If they strive to make you worship with Me things which you have no knowledge, do not obey them. Yet, bear them company in this life with kindness...}(36)

For this reason the Prophet (pbuh) granted permission to Asmaa to take care of her mother, who was a non-Muslim, during her visit to her daughter, in Medina. (37) Also, a weghted legal opinion of Muslim jurists says it is compulsory for a Muslim to provide his non-Muslim parents with sustenance. (38) Another legal opinion states that a non-Muslim's relative deserves his share from his Muslim relatives inheritance. (39) Even a non-Muslim slave girl who gives birth to a child from her Muslim master is automaticly freed after the death of her master. (40)

According to Islamic law a Muslim male can marry a Jewish or a Christian female. Therefore, if both couples were Christians or Jews and the husband became a Muslim, he is still permitted to maintain the marriage bond. This exception was granted for a female from the People of the Book because all three religions, orginally, come from God according to Islam. This fact secures the wife her husband's respect. For the same reason Islam does not allow a Muslim to marry female from other sects or religions and Islam does not permit a female Muslim to marry any non-Muslim male because the female is usually the weaker partner in the marraige bond. This fact jeopardizes the destiny of the children in the Hereafter, especially because the non-Muslim is not governed by clear cut or stable laws concerning the wife's rights as it is the case with the Muslim husband.

Regardless of the difference in faith the couple can share a mutual love and concern for each other, for this is a matter of natural law. Allah says: {And among you His signs is that He created for you mates from among yourselves that you may dwell with in tranquillity, and He has put love and mercy between you.}(41)

(23) Glorious Quraan, 21:107; and see for the commentary of Ibn Taimiyah on this verse in Majmooa: vol 1: 305-306.

(24) See for example: Glorious Quraan, 16: 125 and Ismaeel, The Relationship. pp. 15-23.

(25) Glorious Quraan, 109: 1-6.

(26) Muslim, virtues of the Companions, the kinships of the Prophet.

(27) Muslim, trans. Siddiqi vol 4:1450

(28) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 8:14

(29) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 5: 464-465; Ibn al-Qayyim, zad vol 3:277.

(30) al-'Asqalani: vol 7: 107; Ibn al-Qayyim, Zad vol 3: 282.

(31) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 5:56-57

(32) alBukhari, trans. Khan vol 8: 82.

(33) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 8: 9-10

(34) al-Bukhari:. trans. Khan vol 8: 10

(35) Glorious Quraan, 29: 8.

(36) Glorious Quraan, 31: 14-15.

(37) al-Bukhari, trans. Khan vol 8:8.

(38) Ibn al-Qayyim, Ahkam vol 2: 417-419

(39) Ibn al-Qayyim, Akham pp. 203-5.

(40) Ibn al-Qayyim Ahkam p. 317.

(41) Glorious Quraan, 30:21; see at-Turaqi, al-Isti'anah pp. 23-31.

So you see Sister, if they are respectful of you and your faith, enjoy the love of your family. Encourage behaviours that are good and wholesome and disapprove those that run against Islam....but feel free to love the person.

sachin4islam

nothing is ridicolous when it comes to ask questions about our religion, alhamdulillah.

Here is a fatwa inshaAllah explaining the issue, wa Allahu 'alam:

Making friends with a kaafir woman

Is it allowed for a muslim woman to be friends with a non-muslim woman who is very decent, without neglecting her one religion and is there a severe punishment if she does?

Praise be to Allaah.

Undoubtedly making friends with a kaafir woman will adversely affect her religious commitment, because a kaafir woman does not behave in the same manner or have the same attitude as a Muslim woman, and she does not worship Allaah according to the religion of Islam. Therefore she will not avoid doing things that may adversely affect this Muslim woman who may be deceived by the modest dress or good manners of this kaafir woman, especially in matters that will adversely affect her religious commitment.

Similarly, making friends with her may lead to some kind of approval in one's heart for the rituals that she does as part of her own religion, and this will weaken the sense of friendship and enmity for the sake of Allaah (al-wala’ wa’l-bara’).

Indeed, it may lead some ignorant people to disapprove of the ruling of Allaah that the kaafirs are disbelievers who will abide in Hell forever – we seek refuge with Allaah. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not keep company with anyone but a believer and do not let anyone eat your food but one who is pious.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2395; Abu Dawood, 4832; classed as saheeh by Ibn Hibbaan, 2/314; classed as hasan by Shaykh al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7341).

We do not mean, however, that this Muslim woman should cut herself off completely from the kaafir woman; she may visit with her, visit her when she is sick and give her gifts, but without forming an emotional attachment or joining in their festivals and celebrations. And the Muslim woman should aim, in those visits and gift-giving, to call this kaafir woman to Islam. This is what our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did, as is mentioned in two hadeeths:

1 – It was narrated from Sa’eed ibn al-Musayyib that his father said: “When Abu Taalib was on his deathbed, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon him, and Abu Jahl and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Umayyah were present. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘O uncle, say Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah, and I will plead for you before Allaah.’ Abu Jahl and ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Umayyah said: ‘O Abu Taalib, will you turn away from the religion of ‘Abd al-Muttalib?’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I will keep on praying for forgiveness for you until I am forbidden (by Allaah) to do so.” Then the following aayah was revealed:

“It is not (proper) for the Prophet and those who believe to ask Allaah’s forgiveness for the Mushrikoon, even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief)”

[al-Tawbah 9:113]

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4398; Muslim, 24

2 – It was narrated that Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “There was a Jewish boy who used to serve the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and he fell sick. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to visit him; he sat by his head and said, ‘Become Muslim.’ The boy looked at his father, who was present, and he (the father) said: ‘Obey Abu’l-Qaasim (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’ So he became Muslim, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left, saying, ‘Praise be to Allaah Who has saved him from the Fire.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1290.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave permission to Asma’ bint Abi Bakr to receive her mushrik mother (when she came to visit her), and ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) gave a gift of a garment to his mushrik brother.

It was narrated that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “My mother came to visit me at the time of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and she was a mushrik. So I consulted the Messenger of Allaah, (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and asked him, ‘My mother wants to visit me and expects me to treat her kindly; should I uphold the ties of kinship with my mother?’ He said, ‘Yes, uphold the ties of kinship with your mother.’”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2477; Muslim, 1003

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) said: “ ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab saw a silken garment being sold at the door of the mosque. He said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, why don’t you buy it and wear it on Fridays and when the delegations come to you?’ He said, ‘This is worn by one who has no share in the Hereafter.’ Later on some silken garments were brought and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) gave one to ‘Umar. He said, ‘Are you giving me this to wear when you said what you said about the garment of ‘Utaarid?’ He said, ‘I did not give it to you to wear.’ So ‘Umar gave it to a mushrik brother of his in Makkah to wear.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2470; Muslim 2068.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said: There is nothing wrong with visiting kaafirs in order to call them to Islam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) visited his paternal uncle Abu Taalib when he was dying and called him to Islam, and he visited the Jewish boy and called him to Islam.

But visiting kaafirs in order to have a good time with them is not permitted, because it is obligatory to hate them and shun them. It is permissible to accept their gifts because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) accepted gifts from some of the kaafirs, such as the gift from al-Muqawqis the ruler of Egypt. But it is not permissible to congratulate them on the occasion of their festivals because this implies befriending them and approving of their falsehood.

Al-Muntaqa min Fataawa al-Shaykh al-Fawzaan, 1/255

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Assalam Alaikum:Sis.

Just a simple question to you. The communication and interaction which we are enjoying through internet is Halal or Haram?. I do not think that Muslims contributed any significantly to development of Computer science or Information technology. These fields owe to Jews and Christians for it to flourish.

Regards.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Salam sister Isra!

Please, save your children and family from the hell fire!
Of course if I was in your situation I'd be stuck, but invite them to Islam!

Insha'Allah you'll get more replies on your question my dear sister

Wa alaikome salam sister

Do you not think that if I had the power to do so my children would be reverts to Islam this very moment???? I struggle with this every day because most of the time I blame myself for them being in the darkness that much of my life I existed in myself!!!! BUT one of my dear Muslim brothers pointed out to me that it is not in MY hands! Yes I can show my children Islam by my example and I can tell them everything I know about it! I can even send them books and refer them to websites BUT it is in Allah's hands who will or who will NOT become a Muslim! If it were left up to me alone my children would have become Muslims the day that I did! I will continue to pray for this miracle but all I can do is live the life of a Muslim the best I can and show them by my example! May Allah guide my children to the truth! Ameen!

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

the issue is getting bigger than it is in reality! SubhanaAllah!

Sis Isra, don't worry, I understand you, I'm a revert myself and I know what you mean. The fatwa is just telling you to take things "easier" with no muslims. Let's remember that it's a fatwa so certain words (and translations of the ahadeeth from the arabic language) might sound harsh. They just warn you, don't you think Allah wants only good for you? And same from the Sunnah of the Messanger of Allah (sallaAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam)? Nobody is telling you to hate your friend. Things should be seen based on the situation and the kind of persons we are dealing with, in this case you and your background etc. (This is the issue when mentioning a fatwa... people take it line by line without thinking that it has been issued for "THAT" particular case and that it "MIGHT" help others in "SIMILAR" situations). So, as I said, take it easy with your friend. Let's face the reality, as a muslim, what do you gain of "so beneficial" in keeping in touch so much with her? Knowledge of your religion, islamic manners?

About what JenGiove said she disagree:

Originally Posted by fatwah
Therefore she will not avoid doing things that may adversely affect this Muslim woman who may be deceived by the modest dress or good manners of this kaafir woman, especially in matters that will adversely affect her religious commitment.

there are different people and different situations. You might be so nice to remind others to pray on time etc. (may Allah guide you inshaAllah) but other no-muslims might not be so "helpful" especially if the imaan (faith) of the muslim is not that strong or is at the beginning of her journey.... I've been through this and being among pious sisters makes a BIG difference mashaAllah wa alhamdulillah!

Sis Isra, feel free to PM if you wish inshaAllah!!!

Isra

aka Tree2008
So you see Sister, if they are respectful of you and your faith, enjoy the love of your family. Encourage behaviours that are good and wholesome and disapprove those that run against Islam....but feel free to love the person.

Wa alaikome salam

Thank you so much for your post! I know you say you are not Muslim but Alhamdulillah at least you have much respect for our religion and I appreciate that.

I also appreciate your post and my children are actually VERY respectful of me and my decision to revert to Islam. They have not seen the light yet but I pray every day for them to know the truth. Inshallah someday Allah may choose to guide them too but its in Allahs will not mine! Even the Prophet (SAW) had family members that were not believers and there was nothing he could do about it even if it caused him much sorrow. Some things we might not understand but we just have to accept it on faith alone which I have learned to do.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Sis Isra, don't worry, I understand you, I'm a revert myself and I know what you mean. Sis Isra, feel free to PM if you wish inshaAllah!!!

Wa alaikome salam

Jazakallah Khairan sister I feel better after your explanation in this post. Really I got confused by hadith and fatwa. Both Arabic words which sometimes still confuse me. The other day my husband asked me if I knew what the word "fitnah" means and I was way off from what the word actually meant and I am still not sure when to say "Subhanallah" or "Alhamdulillah" so obviously I am still very confused by alot of the words in Arabic but I am doing my best to learn! I am still a work in progress so please forgive me when I panic after reading something I probably didnt even understand in the first place!

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum:

"it is obligatory to hate them and shun them". My Mum(55) and Dad(58) are most precious asset for me. The time when I need to pay their debts,I should shun them. Unbearable to even listen and impossible to implement. May Sister Isra be convinced I won't be at all convinced.

Regards.

Isra

aka Tree2008
Assalam Alaikum:

"it is obligatory to hate them and shun them". My Mum(55) and Dad(58) are most precious asset for me. The time when I need to pay their debts,I should shun them. Unbearable to even listen and impossible to implement. May Sister Isra be convinced I won't be at all convinced.

Regards.

Wa alaikome salam

Please brother dont put words into my mouth that I never said. You will not see in any of my posts the word "convinced". I simply thanked sister um muhammad al-mahdi for showing me the difference between fatwa and hadith. In my opinion it was totally unnecessary for you to involve me in your post. I humbly ask you not to do so in the future. Thank you.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Assalam Alaikum:

Regards.

My family are non-Muslims too.

I heard a very good lecture some months ago about how we can take non-Muslims as friends, but we have to be careful because they cannot advise us on issues of faith. For example, If you have a friend and you are in a time of jihad with something..He cannot help you at all with it because he has no idea what you are going through.

I will try to find this lecture insha Allah!
They said basically Kaffir friends are okay, but have Muslim friends too that you can turn to in time of need insha Allah.