Thoughts for Sister Kayleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerie

Assalaam walaikum,

Brothers we are not discussing the issues of who tells whom what to do; we are not lying..we were having a mature discussion on the reality of the lives of single Muslim mothers.
Why do you not say something positive to us. We know what the rules are. We are beyond the discussions you are having. This is the stuff that happens afterwords. This is the naked truth that we have a growing population of single mothers. Can we please stick to that..please...

:wasalam:

Questions, Aapa, back on topic. What has been the biggest struggle, specifically as a single Muslim mother? Do you think the Muslim community could have helped? Have you felt it was easier or more difficult with your faith? Was it difficult raising young men in the Muslim community?

I'll think of more questions, but I'm just curious.

kayleigh

aapa, I think you deserve a medal. It sounds like you've raised your sons very well. Better than many people these days.

you mentioned a husband being crippled as an excuse or a situation when a man maybe forced to allow his wife to work. i countered it by give you two personal examples of crippled men supporting their families from A to Z, proving that being crippled is not a valid reason for a man to stop working. then you come up with the above. what are you on about? are you slow?

Excuse you. There's no reason to directly insult him like that.

What you provided was what's called anecdata, and it's worthless. It doesn't prove anything, except that you know two people who apparently are either a) really fortunate to have found a rare job opportunity that allows them to work around a disability or b) are not that disabled to begin with.

We're not looking for copy and paste responses. We're looking for meaningful contributions to the discussion. You can copy and paste verses and fatwas all day but you would still fail to address the issue we're discussing. This is reality. and those hadith you posted have nothing to do with this discussion.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

It has nothing to do with me...all Praises belong to Allah. He gave me the blessings of two sons. He gave me Paths to follow and I did.

It has been the Muslim community that aided me emotionally. I found myself alone in the middle of nowhere. I have a sister who has been very supportive. The community has kept an eye on my sons. They find ways to praise them. On Eid my sons get a wad of money from the ladies. The Sunday School was the most helpful. We had a community to spend the day with and pray. My sons found friends at the masjid that are sincere. They text each other all day long, we go to the moives ( I drop them at the mall ).
Ramadan is a blessing. My sons love going to the masjid. There are days when we go and chill there. We are alone and it is so peaceful.

Yes, it is the Muslim community that gave my sons a sense of identity in a time of need. They were accepted as little men and now they are men. They even pray in the front row.

The biggest struggle has been the stigma of being a single mother. Often the sisters do not understand my motives. They often feel I might want their husbands and I laugh. I am very assertive. I am political and I have no fear of speaking my mind to the brothers. They have finally accepted me as an eclectic woman. I am the one who will stop the brothers who have given the kutba's and ask for specifics. One brother is prepared and gives me references.

Yes, money has been tight and the community has helped. One brother co-signed a loan. It was embarrassing for me. As a single mom I have to struggle more financially. And I think it is embarrassing for the community to have the most vocal female be the single mom. Besides, I am so very Americanized it sends waves still.

Kayleigh, I am blessed...things go well for me in the end. And you guys have been a great sense of support. There are times I want to whip some of the members; yet, there have been countless times when I can write with a sense of humor and you listen. I do include you in my community. You are my extended family.

Waseem203

Young Muslim
I've been following this discussion from the beginning and have some things to share.

My parent, who are together thank God, both work together in the same business. My dad opened up a trucking company a couple years ago and immediately he needed my mom to work from home as a dispatcher. She's pretty much an office girl. Without my mom working in the business, the company would probably crumble.

She sits on a chair from 8-5 searching a program that finds truck loads all while she prepares dinner, cleans the house, does the laundry and takes care of other housekeeping. She works really hard.

I can't imagine how hard it would be for just a mother to work alone. But I can see how living in the West can sometimes mandate both parents working. By doing this, my mom isn't disobeying her husband either because he asked her to do this anyway. Without all my mother's handwork, I'm not sure if we could support ourselves financially.

Anyway.

sliver

you mentioned a husband being crippled as an excuse or a situation when a man maybe forced to allow his wife to work. i countered it by give you two personal examples of crippled men supporting their families from A to Z, proving that being crippled is not a valid reason for a man to stop working. then you come up with the above. what are you on about? are you slow?

Funny I how you are yet to see the big picture here.

sliver

Assalaam walaikum,

Brothers we are not discussing the issues of who tells whom what to do; we are not lying..we were having a mature discussion on the reality of the lives of single Muslim mothers.
Why do you not say something positive to us. We know what the rules are. We are beyond the discussions you are having. This is the stuff that happens afterwords. This is the naked truth that we have a growing population of single mothers. Can we please stick to that..please...

Your right my fault I sorta went off topic there. I will be sure to avoid any more arguments on this.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Everyone quit!!! I have enjoyed this thread. I thank Kayleigh. Now, I am doing something I love. I am spending time with the one person in the world I listen to at all times. My mother. She is 80 years old. It is her devotion to Islam that has brought me to love Islam. We are painting. She does what she wants and I, that's right, your Aapa, must say yes, at all times. I stop when she says stop. She has been my role model; my best friend and the one person in the world I trust. So let's be nice and thank Allah for our mothers.

She is the one person that has always told me: Put your faith and trust in Allah. And she is the one person I obey. I put my faith and trust in Allah.

sliver

"IMO by far the greatest threat to Islaam are these pseudo-muslim men and women rather than a bunch of jews or roman crusaders. They are distorting islaam while we can only watch. it's very frustrating that such pseudo-muslims are afforded so much space while the true muslims dont do enough to project the real Islam."

Are you really serious here? I mean "Pseudo-Muslims" really? You know what am sorry if I offended you in any way shape or form. I gave you my opinions and you gave yours lets ended at that. I promised not to get into in more arguments on this topic. Thanks

Aapa

Mirajmom
Asalaam walaikum,

I would bake a cake for each of you. You have been good. I think it is time to move on..and for Sister Kayleigh... I would bake six.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Whatever you want..I bake from scratch..I use all natural stuff...and my special ingredient is Love.

neox297

A VERY RELEVANT ARTICLE: ENJOY!

A Woman’s Reflection on Leading Prayer
Published on April 13, 2010 — 120 Comments
129 people like this post.
Unlike
by Yasmin Mogahed

On March 18, 2005, Amina Wadud led the first female-led jum`ah (Friday) prayer. On that day, women took a huge step towards being more like men. But did we come closer to actualizing our God-given liberation?

I don’t think so.

What we so often forget is that God has honored the woman by giving her value in relation to God—not in relation to men. But as Western feminism erases God from the scene, there is no standard left—except men. As a result, the Western feminist is forced to find her value in relation to a man. And in so doing, she has accepted a faulty assumption. She has accepted that man is the standard, and thus a woman can never be a full human being until she becomes just like a man.

When a man cut his hair short, she wanted to cut her hair short. When a man joined the army, she wanted to join the army. She wanted these things for no other reason than because the “standard” had it.

What she didn’t recognize was that God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness – not their sameness. And on March 18, Muslim women made the very same mistake.

For 1400 years there has been a consensus of the scholars that men are to lead prayer. As a Muslim woman, why does this matter? The one who leads prayer is not spiritually superior in any way. Something is not better just because a man does it. And leading prayer is not better, just because it’s leading. Had it been the role of women or had it been more divine, why wouldn’t the Prophet ﷺ have asked Ayesha or Khadija, or Fatima—the greatest women of all time—to lead? These women were promised heaven—and yet they never led prayer.

But now, for the first time in 1400 years, we look at a man leading prayer and we think, “That’s not fair.” We think so although God has given no special privilege to the one who leads. The imam is no higher in the eyes of God than the one who prays behind.

On the other hand, only a woman can be a mother. And God has given special privilege to a mother. The Prophet ﷺ taught us that heaven lies at the feet of mothers. But no matter what a man does he can never be a mother. So why is that not unfair?

When asked, “Who is most deserving of our kind treatment?” the Prophet ﷺ replied, “Your mother” three times before saying “your father” only once. Is that sexist? No matter what a man does he will never be able to have the status of a mother.
And yet, even when God honors us with something uniquely feminine, we are too busy trying to find our worth in reference to men to value it—or even notice. We, too, have accepted men as the standard; so anything uniquely feminine is, by definition, inferior. Being sensitive is an insult, becoming a mother—a degradation. In the battle between stoic rationality (considered masculine) and selfless compassion (considered feminine), rationality reigns supreme.

As soon as we accept that everything a man has and does is better, all that follows is a knee-jerk reaction: if men have it, we want it too. If men pray in the front rows, we assume this is better, so we want to pray in the front rows too. If men lead prayer, we assume the imam is closer to God, so we want to lead prayer too. Somewhere along the line we’ve accepted the notion that having a position of worldly leadership is some indication of one’s position with God.

A Muslim woman does not need to degrade herself in this way. She has God as a standard. She has God to give her value; she doesn’t need a man.

In fact, in our crusade to follow men, we as women never even stopped to examine the possibility that what we have is better for us. In some cases we even gave up what was higher only to be like men.

Fifty years ago, society told us that men were superior because they left the home to work in factories. We were mothers. And yet, we were told that it was women’s liberation to abandon the raising of another human being in order to work on a machine. We accepted that working in a factory was superior to raising the foundation of society—just because a man did it.

Then, after working, we were expected to be superhuman—the perfect mother, the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker—and have the perfect career. And while there is nothing wrong, by definition, with a woman having a career, we soon came to realize what we had sacrificed by blindly mimicking men. We watched as our children became strangers and soon recognized the privilege we’d given up.

And so only now—given the choice—women in the West are choosing to stay home to raise their children. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, only 31 percent of mothers with babies, and 18 percent of mothers with two or more children, are working full-time. And of those working mothers, a survey conducted by Parenting Magazine in 2000, found that 93% of them say they would rather be at home with their kids, but are compelled to work due to ‘financial obligations.’ These ‘obligations’ are imposed on women by the gender sameness of the modern West, and removed from women by the gender distinctiveness of Islam.

It took women in the West almost a century of experimentation to realize a privilege given to Muslim women 1400 years ago.

Given my privilege as a woman, I only degrade myself by trying to be something I’m not – and in all honesty – don’t want to be: a man. As women, we will never reach true liberation until we stop trying to mimic men, and value the beauty in our own God-given distinctiveness.

If given a choice between stoic justice and compassion, I choose compassion. And if given a choice between worldly leadership and heaven at my feet—I choose heaven.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Why do we blame the west. The west has nothing to do with empty headed women who want fame and fortune.

It is ok for women to work. It is ok for women to do things men do. Women can be self-sufficient. Women can be and are independent.

"Then, after working, we were expected to be superhuman—the perfect mother, the perfect wife, the perfect homemaker—and have the perfect career. And while there is nothing wrong, by definition, with a woman having a career, we soon came to realize what we had sacrificed by blindly mimicking men. We watched as our children became strangers and soon recognized the privilege we’d given up.

And so only now—given the choice—women in the West are choosing to stay home to raise their children. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, only 31 percent of mothers with babies, and 18 percent of mothers with two or more children, are working full-time. And of those working mothers, a survey conducted by Parenting Magazine in 2000, found that 93% of them say they would rather be at home with their kids, but are compelled to work due to ‘financial obligations.’ These ‘obligations’ are imposed on women by the gender sameness of the modern West, and removed from women by the gender distinctiveness of Islam."

This is very subjective. The stats are old. More robust statistics are from the Dept. of Labor.

Poor women work. Poor women have never been able to stay at home. Think of the number of women who serve Muslims as servants in foreign countries.

We can not engage in west is bad/Islam is good thinking. The West is where Islam is growing.

Besides, the topic here was focusing on single moms and the issues single moms have raising children in non-Muslim society.

Gernada1492

A Muslim
nd so only now—given the choice—women in the West are choosing to stay home to raise their children. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, only 31 percent of mothers with babies, and 18 percent of mothers with two or more children, are working full-time. And of those working mothers, a survey conducted by Parenting Magazine in 2000, found that 93% of them say they would rather be at home with their kids, but are compelled to work due to ‘financial obligations.’ These ‘obligations’ are imposed on women by the gender sameness of the modern West, and removed from women by the gender distinctiveness of Islam."

Mom, if these stats arent true but one thing is true that women are making choice to stay at home because they dont want to work. I have read it some where else as well.

Single mom is another case but not every one is single mom. ANd I can imagine how hard life can be, for any single mom, who has loads to do in just 24 hours.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I have to teach my children history. Traditionally, in the "west" women went to college to get a degree in a liberal arts field. The purpose was to catch a husband. High society met with high society. There were always classes and girls had debutante balls to be introduced into society. They had a group of boys to marry.
WWII changed things. Women had to work...men were at war. When the men came back some women remained at work. The rich girls did not work but a few years and then settled in and got married.
The introduction of the birth control pill gave women sexual freedom. Women were not burdened with pregnancy. They were given more educational opportunities. Education was not limited to liberal arts. Women could become whatever they choose to be.
Marriage and childbirth were delayed. You had the opportunity to enjoy yourself. The panic button hit. The older mother. The biological clock went tick-tock. ( Funny thing..the demand for artificial insemination skyrocketed) Women realized they do not all want to work. Many who could afford remained home.

Stay at home moms are the ones in the west who feel inadequacy. The term housewife here has negative connotations. The connotations include a woman who is undereducated.

However, you have the soccer moms. They do everything for the children.

The poor woman has always worked and will always work.

The poor woman always worked. Even among the poor there is stigma. Women who are poor and do not work are seen as a burden to society. If they have children and are unmarried and do not work they are treaty awfully.

I find it amusing..the wives of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, worked.

Gernada1492

A Muslim
interesting post mom... i like the history u have told

"I find it amusing..the wives of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, worked"

Can any one put details regarding this? and wat kind of work it was?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Well..international businesswoman..leather and tanning...go find out and let me know..I'm tired...been painting all day...

Gernada1492

A Muslim
i know Khadijah (RA) had her business but i dont know how it went after she got married with Nabi (SAW).
Also, when u say work, does it mean make and sell ??

Status
Not open for further replies.