Why is eating lamb okay?

mhamzah

The Halal Slaughter Controversy:
Do Animal Rights activists protect the sheep or the Butcher?

S.M Bleher​

Islamic Halal slaughter has increasingly come under attack from animal rights activists telling tales of barbaric blood-thirsty ritual slaughter. There are two distinct issues: there is the vegetarian agenda which wants to ban all consumption of animal products, and there is the animal rights lobby which argues for a humane method of slaughter.

Do animals have rights?

The vegetarian argument is that killing animals for the benefit of humans is cruel and an infringement of their rights. They put both on the same level without conceding any superiority to humans over animals. This argument is seriously flawed, because if animals had rights comparable to those of humans, they must also have equivalent duties. In other words, we must be able to blame them and punish them if they violate the rights of others. It is absurd that it should be considered a crime for humans to kill a sheep, but natural for a lion to do so. The problem stems from a misconception of the role of human life within the animal kingdom: a denial of purposeful creation within a clearly defined hierarchy degrades humans to the level of any other creature. Yet even then, the argument is illogical: Why should plants, for example, be denied the same protection from a violation of the sanctity of their life?

Is Islamic slaughter cruel?

The question of how an animal should be slaughtered to avoid cruelty is a different one. It is true that when the blood flows from the throat of an animal it looks violent, but just because meat is now bought neatly and hygienically packaged on supermarket shelves does not mean the animal didn’t have to die? Non-Islamic slaughter methods dictate that the animal should be rendered unconscious before slaughter. This is usually achieved by stunning or electrocution. Is it less painful to shoot a bolt into a sheep’s brain or to ring a chicken’s neck than to slit its throat? To watch the procedure does not objectively tell us what the animal feels.

The scientific facts

A team at the university of Hannover in Germany examined these claims through the use of EEG and ECG records during slaughter. Several electrodes were surgically implanted at various points of the skull of all the animals used in the experiment and they were then allowed to recover for several weeks. Some of the animals were subsequently slaughtered the halal way by making a swift, deep incision with a sharp knife on the neck, cutting the jugular veins and carotid arteries of both sides together with the trachea and esophagus but leaving the spinal cord intact. The remainder were stunned before slaughter using a captive bolt pistol method as is customary in Western slaughterhouses. The EEG and ECG recordings allowed to monitor the condition of the brain and heart throughout.

The Halal method

With the halal method of slaughter, there was not change in the EEG graph for the first three seconds after the incision was made, indicating that the animal did not feel any pain from the cut itself. This is not surprising. Often, if we cut ourselves with a sharp implement, we do not notice until some time later. The following three seconds were characterised by a condition of deep sleep-like unconciousness brought about by the draining of large quantities of blood from the body. Thereafter the EEG recorded a zero reading, indicating no pain at all, yet at that time the heart was still beating and the body convulsing vigorously as a reflex reaction of the spinal cord. It is this phase which is most unpleasant to onlookers who are falsely convinced that the animal suffers whilst its brain does actually no longer record any sensual messages.

The Western method

Using the Western method, the animals were apparently unconscious after stunning, and this method of dispatch would appear to be much more peaceful for the onlooker. However, the EEG readings indicated severe pain immediately after stunning. Whereas in the first example, the animal ceases to feel pain due to the brain starvation of blood and oxygen – a brain death, to put it in laymen’s terms – the second example first causes a stoppage of the heart whilst the animal still feels pain. However, there are no unsightly convulsions, which not only means that there is more blood retention in the meat, but also that this method lends itself much more conveniently to the efficiency demands of modern mass slaughter procedures. It is so much easier to dispatch an animal on the conveyor belt, if it does not move.

Appearances can deceive

Not all is what it seems, then. Those who want to outlaw Islamic slaughter, arguing for a humane method of killing animals for food, are actually more concerned about the feelings of people than those of the animals on whose behalf they appear to speak. The stunning method makes mass butchery easier and looks more palatable for the consumer who can deceive himself that the animal did not feel any pain when he goes to buy his cleanly wrapped parcel of meat from the supermarket. Islamic slaughter, on the other hand, does not try to deny that meat consumption means that animals have to die, but is designed to ensure that their loss of life is achieved with a minimum amount of pain.

The holistic view

Islam is a balanced way of life. For Muslims, the privilege of supplementing their diet with animal protein implies a duty to animal welfare, both during the rearing of the animal and during the slaughter. Modern Western farming and slaughter, on the other hand, aims at the mass consumer market and treats the animal as a commodity. Just as battery hens are easier for large-scale egg production, Western slaughter methods are easier for the meat industry, but they do neither the animal nor the end consumer any favours. The Islamic way guarantees a healthier life for the animal and a healthier meat for the consumer.

HaQRehman

Slave of ALLAH (SWT)
:salam2:

:mashallah: Very nice answer Alhamdulillah .. With scientific proof also ..
ISLAM IS THE BEST :mashallah:

:wasalam:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Sayidina Omar bin Al-Khattab (ra) once saw a man sharpening his knife in front of the kattle he was going to slaughter..and he (ra) hit him once with a small stick..and said to him..*do you wish to torment this soul? could you not have done this before taking it (to be slaughtered)?*...

And Ibn Omar once saw a herd of sheep kept in a very dirty and disgusting place and he went to the sheepherder and said *Lo! O' sheepherder, move the herd to a better place for I heard Rasulullah say 'you are all herders responsible for their herds'*

If one of us feels uncomfortable eating something..or they simply do not like it..it is best that they do not speak of it..or show their disgust or dislike of it...Rasulullah (pbuh) did not like a type of food (personal preference of his (pbuh))..so when it would be brought to him he wouldn't say *I don't like it* or he *complains*..he would just not eat from it..and just sit there..and the companions who knew what he liked would take to him or bring closer to him the things he (pbuh) did like eating or didn't mind so he would eat :)

We need to *always remember* that...Allah has put sheep..goats..cows..chickens..plants..herbs..vegetables..fruits..etc. as a sustenance for us so we may eat and pleasure ourselves with what He (swt) has provided to us due to His mercy and generosity unto us...

Should we be sincere believers in Him..grateful to Him..and Love Him (swt)...then we cannot complain about the *inhumanity* in how we earn or consume some of these blessings...especially because in Islam..for everything that is made halal for us..there are rules to abide by regarding it...the Islamic way of slaughtering insures that nothing inhumane takes place...and even the ways we consume the food and how much of it we consume have their recommendations in the Sunnah...so alhamduliallah..we are not surpassing our limits..we are using what Allah has provided for us :)

Ashima33

Salaam,

I am not asking about the halaal slaughter of an animal... I am asking about the slaughter of a young animal, and how I am having a hard time seeing how this can be accepted even if it is done in a halaal manner. It is an animal that is not fully grown.

lamb,s meat is so yyyuuummmyy:SMILY27:

I hope you can understand, sister, how this comment does offend me a bit. I wouldn't start such a thread if I were not sensitive to this subject.

i think vegetarianism is unnatural.

There are all types of diets all over the world. Most cater towards the types of foods that are plentiful to the area and I think our bodies adapt to need the nutrients from those types of foods. I'm not for sure if you have heard of the book: Diet for your Type, but it's a diet that is based on your blood type. People use it not just for losing weight, but to discover food allergies and other health problems. But there is dietary restrictions for each blood type. For example, Type A is a strict vegetarian diet, and it is actually very easy for most type A's to be vegetarian due to their body chemistry and nutritional needs. But I think it's Type B that needs a lot of red meat. So, I disagree with the comment that vegetarianism is unnatural. Especially in places where vegetables are so plentiful.

Should we be sincere believers in Him..grateful to Him..and Love Him (swt)...then we cannot complain about the *inhumanity* in how we earn or consume some of these blessings...especially because in Islam..for everything that is made halal for us..there are rules to abide by regarding it...the Islamic way of slaughtering insures that nothing inhumane takes place...and even the ways we consume the food and how much of it we consume have their recommendations in the Sunnah...so alhamduliallah..we are not surpassing our limits..we are using what Allah has provided for us :)

I have read that Mohammed (pbuh) actually encourage not eating a lot of meat. Not saying to completely wipe it out, but not eat a lot of it because it can make your heart grow hard. And it really is unnecessary to eat gobs of meat. Some people... that's all they eat! maybe some potatoes. But come on. seriously... that's ridiculous.

Wasalaam.

Ashima33

I agree with this statement. How do you stay vegie at north or south pole? A hindu said being vegetarian is the best way to eat so we asked him, how eskimo going to be a vegetarian?

Salaam,

I stated above that I think it is easier for some to be vegetarian, and I think a lot of it has to do with your blood type or what foods are plentiful where you live. Of course, people living more north have less vegetation so it would be hard for them. I was vegetarian for about 3-5 years before incorporating fish into my diet and I was just fine. If people take care of themselves properly it can be done. I also think the vegan diet is a healthy one. Well, mostly for the milk and dairy factor of it. Think about it.... we are the only species who still thrives off of milk after a certain stage growth and development and on top of that, we drink other animals milk that is meant for their young?

Wasalaam.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Salaam,

I have read that Mohammed (pbuh) actually encourage not eating a lot of meat. Not saying to completely wipe it out, but not eat a lot of it because it can make your heart grow hard. And it really is unnecessary to eat gobs of meat. Some people... that's all they eat! maybe some potatoes. But come on. seriously... that's ridiculous.

Wasalaam.

Sobhanallah sister...who are we to dictate what others eat???...what if that is food they *like*..they like to eat *meat dishes*..they think it's delicious..and so eat it a lot...if they are aware of the risks and still eat..then we need to let them be...the line between *personal preference or opinion* and *halal and haram* can be quite thin..so we need to distinguish them the best we can..if Allah made something halal for us..and someone is enjoying it..then mashallah..may Allah grant them more of this sustenance..

I would rather see someone consuming gobs of lamb or chicken..rather than consume bottles of alcohol or tens of weed joints for example..and if we think *the poor little lambs*..then next we'll think *the poor little eggs*..then after that *the poor little baby carrots*..and the list will only go on and on...even the people of Jannah will have *meat* for food..what will we do then???..advocate vegetrianism or prefer the *full grown* over the opposite???

In life..things do come in priorities and degrees of importance..if we are not comfortable about something then we owe it to the comfort of *others* to keep our perspective to ourselves...this is not to say you cannot *advice* someone to *better their diet* for *health's* sake..and if we feel a lack of understanding towards something that is halal (or haram for that matter)..then we say *Allah Knows best*..and move on to something else...

I am not saying this to go after you or anything..and if my words seem a bit on the harsh side..it's not something I intend..that's just my *directness*..which I am sending your way..because I want you to think deeply of the matter we're discussing..and reach an understanding inshallah :)

Rashadi

Salaam Alaikum,

Why is it okay to eat lamb? Isn't this inhumane?

Wasalaam.

Salaam Aleykom sister, it is Allah who ordains the deen, and if eating lamb was bad, He would have made it haram. As long as it is allowed by Allah wa Ta'ala and the animal is slaughtered according to Islamic standards, there is no haram in it. I hope this helps.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
wa'alaikumussalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh dear respected sister

The original form of everything is Halal in Islam unless they are mentioned as Haram in Quran and/or Hadith and/or Ijmaa'. Allah (subuhaanahu wata'aala) says in Quran.

"O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful and good; and do not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an avowed enemy". (2:168)

"Eat of the things which Allah hath provided for you, lawful and good; but fear Allah, in Whom ye believe". (5:88)

"So eat of the sustenance which Allah has provided for you, lawful and good; and be grateful for the favours of Allah, if it is He Whom ye serve". (16:114)

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Ashima33

Salaam,

Okay it seems that by some comments made that some people have taken this as I am judging the people who eat meat or lamb. And this is not the case. I was vegetarian for about 3 years then slowly incorporated fish. This was my diet for a total of 6 years. I felt just fine a healthy, but once again, my blood type is A, so it's supposed to be easier for us. I was not one of those people who thought "everyone should be a vegetarian". I mean, I now eat chicken. So I'm not trying to make this a conversation that is against meat eating. I'm just trying to understand why eating lamb is halal? Not because it is meat or even if it is slaughtered in the halal way, but due to the fact that it is an animal that is not fully matured. This is not me questioning Allah, but trying to understand. And being a recent convert, I do not have enough knowledge of Islam, yet, to back up any of my claims. But, hopefully one day I can gain understanding. My reasoning with the statement, "anything which Allah has not listed as haram is okay for us." Well, my argument with this is.... Okay, so water is something that is halal, of course. But does this mean that we consume and waste as much of it as we want? Is it right to mistreat such a precious commodity?

So what I'm saying is maybe sheep meat is something could be allowed, but are we mistreating this commodity by slaughtering too early? Yes, it was put here for us to eat. Water was put here for us to drink. But does that still make it okay?

Wasalaam.

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah

I respect your views on young meat and if it is lawful to slaughter in don't think i have came across anything that prohibits us about eating it due to its age But Allah knows best but i was listening to a lecture and someone asked if it is natural to be vegetarian and the the speaker said Why did Allah give us canine teeth for? and why a mixture of straight teeth and molar teeth? It is because Allah intended us to eat from what he has created for our benefit such as meat, vegetables, wheat etc. so i would reflect on this inshallah

Hope i helped you sis :hijabi:

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
Salaam,

Okay it seems that by some comments made that some people have taken this as I am judging the people who eat meat or lamb. And this is not the case. I was vegetarian for about 3 years then slowly incorporated fish. This was my diet for a total of 6 years. I felt just fine a healthy, but once again, my blood type is A, so it's supposed to be easier for us. I was not one of those people who thought "everyone should be a vegetarian". I mean, I now eat chicken. So I'm not trying to make this a conversation that is against meat eating. I'm just trying to understand why eating lamb is halal? Not because it is meat or even if it is slaughtered in the halal way, but due to the fact that it is an animal that is not fully matured. This is not me questioning Allah, but trying to understand. And being a recent convert, I do not have enough knowledge of Islam, yet, to back up any of my claims. But, hopefully one day I can gain understanding. My reasoning with the statement, "anything which Allah has not listed as haram is okay for us." Well, my argument with this is.... Okay, so water is something that is halal, of course. But does this mean that we consume and waste as much of it as we want? Is it right to mistreat such a precious commodity?

So what I'm saying is maybe sheep meat is something could be allowed, but are we mistreating this commodity by slaughtering too early? Yes, it was put here for us to eat. Water was put here for us to drink. But does that still make it okay?

Wasalaam.

I was reading this post and i have now gained an understanding to your question i suggest you as a person of knowledge inshallah because as much as we may rationalize it you may need the proof and further understanding

But as for consuming too much water Its true Allah does not like us to waste something as precious as water however Lamb is another thing if we eat it while it young or matured it doesn't make a difference to Allah but personally it may to you as used to be a vegetarian i would say to ease into eating meat maybe try eating matured meat and move on to different types of meat i would also ask you to research the benefit of eating meats hope this helps i too am very limited on my knowledge but i would suggest for you to ask someone who has more knowledge inshallah maybe find a fatwa

:wasalam::hijabi:

mhamzah

This might be helpful.

Quote:

I am not asking about the halaal slaughter of an animal... I am asking about the slaughter of a young animal, and how I am having a hard time seeing how this can be accepted even if it is done in a halaal manner. It is an animal that is not fully grown.

Normally the arguments brought forth are by (a) vegans and (b) people against Halal and Kosher methods of slaughter, so I thought you were relating to either of two issue. That's why I presented an article that covered both these issues; Now that i understand your question let me try to deal with it. Couple of issues that needs to be looked at;

First of all we have to ask ourselves 'Is animal life scared'?

The answer is of course it is, and Islam recognises that. That is why taking the life of any animal, irrespective of his age, for any purpose other than to eat, is a crime/sin in Islam.

Lets take a similar example;

Allahs says in quran in chapter 5 verse 32;

[005:032] On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our apostles with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

Now it doesn't matter whether the person is a child or an adult, a crime is a crime and the punishment would be the same, irrespective of the age of the person being killed.

Islam, however allows taking the life of certain animals only for the purpose mentioned above and it lays down guidelines regarding;

1. The Person who can slaughter the animal.
2. The animal itself (animal fed properly, animal should be healthy, one animal not slaughtered in front of another etc etc.) and
3. The method of slaughter (note: if slaughter done properly is painless in sheep, lamb, calves and so on).

If taking the life of an animal is a crime/inhumane (which is in very case in Islam other than to eat), than it should be a crime (or inhumane) regardless of the age of the animal.

If however taking the life an an animal is allowed (which is under one case in Islam), than it should be natural to take the life, regardless of the age of the animal. And Allah swt knows best

some of the Halal slaughtering guidelines.

Guidelines for Halal slaughter:

1. The slaughtering can only be made by a person mentally healthy, that understands completely the fundamental rules and conditions related with the slaughtering of animals in Islam;

2. The objective of the Slaughtering is for Allah and it can not be devoted to the other gods;

3. The animal that it will be slaughtered should alive;

[COLOR="Red"]4. The animal should be healthy and that should be attested by the health authority;[/COLOR]

5. The sentence: In the Name of Allah, The Merciful, The Compassionate should be pronounced;

6. The slaughtering lines, tools and utensils should be dedicated only for the Halal slaughtering;

7. The knives should be sharp;

8. The Slaughtering should be made of a single time;

9. Bones and teeth cannot be used as slaughtering tools;

10. A Muslim inspector should be pointed to be responsible for the inspection in the animals and in the slaughtering form;

11. The stun is not recommended;

12. An Islamic slaughter Man.

Follow up on the previous article;

A study done by Professor Wilhelm Schulze et al. at the University of Veterinary Medicine in Germany, with electrodes surgically implanted on the skull of sheep and calves, concluded that "the slaughter in the form of ritual cut is, if carried out properly, painless in sheep and calves according to the EEG recordings and the missing defensive actions."

This study is cited by the German Constitutional Court in its permitting of dhabiha slaughtering."

http://www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de/entscheidungen/rs20020115_1bvr178399en.html

Quote:

so water is something that is halal, of course. But does this mean that we consume and waste as much of it as we want? Is it right to mistreat such a precious commodity? So what I'm saying is maybe sheep meat is something could be allowed, but are we mistreating this commodity by slaughtering too early? Yes, it was put here for us to eat. Water was put here for us to drink. But does that still make it okay?

It is forbidden in Islam to waste water, however when a lamb is slaughtered it is done for a purpose and not to waste, if it is killed for no purpose than it becomes haram.

All life is scared and equally valuable. If it is permisble to take life under certain cases than the question of mistreating doesnt arise because if it does than it would imply that some how taking the life of sheep (or taking the life of an adult human) is some how less valuable than taking the life of a lamb (a human child).

And Allah knows best

mhamzah

Quote:

Some articles on Diets;

Islamic Diet & Manners

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/newsletters/issue_16/diet.aspx

Islamic diet and science:

http://www.islamchannel.com/multiMediaDownloads/showItems.aspx?ownerID=769&isVideo=True

For urdu readers (maybe someone wants to translate it)

http://www.recipeapart.com/remedy-in-diet-medical-science-by-prophet-muhammad-pbuh/

Diet in Islam

http://www.inter-islam.org/Lifestyle/diet.htm#A%20Balanced%20Diet%20-%20Prescribed%20in%20the%20Qur`an

May Allah guide us closer to the truth