The loneliness of converts

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Asalaamu Alaikum

What I get from this is that friendship for immigrant muslims involves inviting people over to eat. Is that correct? For us you have to feel pretty close to someone before you do that usually. Usually we talk on the phone and then go out somewhere together and then maybe get together for a snack and then the big finale is to finally be invited over for supper. But I think that all these steps are cut out for immigrants..am I correct? I know for us that we build up relationships very slowly. So maybe when I give someone my number they never call because I didn't automatically give them a dinner invitation? Is that right? Could it be that immigrants don't like our style??? I've been wondering about this for years!

Wa Salaamu Alaikum
D4E

:salam2:
Until yesterday I never thought that I will have to defend the act of "inviting someone to supper". But it looks like this is an opportunity to un-lock something.

I have read it somewhere "One should never be concerned about having an extra person join them to share their meal. Sharing food is a virtue and it is always possible to feed an extra person with the portion available." So as I said earlier inviting someone for dinner should not be a burden, unless you really want it to be a burden.
We have six family members in my home and suppose we are inviting a family of four, we have to cook food for 6 people anyway now we just add portions for 4 more people. Instead of 3 cups of rice, we make 5 cups of rice. Instead of 6 pieces of chicken we make 10 pieces of chicken etc. For sweet dish buy cheese-cake or even ice-cream. What I am saying is we never felt it a big deal to invite a family for dinner. If you invite one family per month, then within 6 months you will have friendship with 6 families. Also think about it when they will invite you, you won't have to cook that day.
Those who don't/can't cook, they can get food from restaurant, these days there are many halal food restaurants in many cities. I would not recommend eating in a restaurant. Food should always be served at home. The couple of hours of audio/visual input you receive in the home is the key in developing bonds and friendship.

Once you get to know these families and have a closer bond then you can have other activities. Like we planned and went to the mall togather with a family, same thing during sales after new year, and we have gone for picnic togather too. Many times it happened that we are going to Sam's club and my wife called and asked some of these ladies if they want anything from there. If they want something then we go and drop it to their house. This gives us another opportunity to meet and chat for a few minutes. I think this is how people develop friendship and these are little things that count. I have no real brother or sister living here, yet I don't feel loneliness in a country which is thousands of miles away from my home country. Believe me once you have 4 or 5 Muslim families going like that you won't feel any loneliness.

Here is an interesting article written by a non-muslim about Islamic traditions:

Hospitality: A Worldwide Islamic Tradition
— by Keith Carey

Hospitality is a common feature that characterizes Muslims around the world. This is why they are often perceived as very generous people. For most Muslims, hospitality lies at the heart of who they are. Families judge themselves and each other by their generosity to guests when they entertain. Guests are welcomed into the home and shown kindness regardless of whether they are relatives, friends, neighbors, or strangers.

Islam stresses the entertainment of guests. Muhammad, their prophet, said, "When a person is invited to a feast and he does not accept (or reply), he disobeys Allah" (according to Abu Dawud, Hadith 26.5, of the traditions of prophet Mohammad). Social functions are recommended in which people should eat together, "Gather together at your meals and you will be blessed therein" (26:14).

A "gentlemen's agreement" in the Arab Muslim world today is still spoken of as "bread and salt" between us. The worst kind of betrayal is by someone who has eaten with a family and then deliberately hurts them. Such a person has betrayed a sacred covenant. Cultures of Bible times also express these morals; several scriptures illustrate this in the Bible such as Psalm 41:9 and John 13:18 in which Judas betrayed Jesus.

Traditionally, a stranger could arrive at the door and expect three days' hospitality before being asked any questions. Among the Bedouins, whoever sees a stranger coming from afar and exclaims, "Here comes my guest!" has the right to claim him. The host will then prepare a generous meal for him even if it means that his family goes without. This custom continues to be important throughout the Muslim world. In regions where Muslims face harsh living conditions and poverty, they will attempt to give what they have to guests and do without themselves.

There are certain understood formalities for receiving callers. For example, Muslim etiquette stresses that you must never keep someone standing outside because this indicates that you want them to leave. In fact, if a caller comes and stays only a short time, it is customary to tell them their visit "did not count." They must return for a longer visit because the host couldn't enjoy them long enough! Traditional Arab Muslim greetings for a guest entering their home include, "My home is your home," and "Peace be upon you."

Gestures and body movements to communicate honor and courtesy in greeting are also very important among Muslims. These show friendliness, generosity and hospitality. The following are some of those forms of greetings. Placing the palm of the right hand on the chest immediately after shaking hands with another man shows respect or thanks. They may add a very slight bow of the head. Shaking hands or kissing each other on both sides of the face shows respect or affection. Such physical gestures of hospitality and affection are only expressed between men and separately between women.

Food: An Important Part of Muslim Hospitality
Muslims commonly use two terms to describe food: "halal" and "haram." "Halal" is an Arabic word which means permitted or lawful, similar to kosher food in Jewish society. "Haram" means forbidden or unlawful. Haram foods should never be eaten by Muslims. Examples of haram foods are pork and shellfish. All food is considered to be halal unless it is mentioned in the Koran or Hadith as being non-halal.

The Koran refers to food being shared between Muslims, Christians and Jews. The quotation states, "And the food of those who have been given the Book (i.e., the Bible) is lawful for you, and your food is lawful for them" (Koran 5.5). According to Islamic teaching alcohol is forbidden, although some Muslims drink. In various Arab countries, the possession of alcohol is strictly forbidden to everyone. In other countries such as Iraq, it is available and sold publicly. Often the liquor stores in Iraq are run by Chaldean Christians.

Most meals served by Muslims are often festive, warm and casual. Arab hospitality dictates that twice the amount of food needed for a meal should be prepared. They feel this honors the guest by showing generosity. A lavish table is a way of bestowing esteem and affection on a guest, especially when it is their first visit. Often there is not one variety of olives on the table, but three, humus and eggplant, some pita bread, pickles, and white cheese. There are at least two main courses, should a course not be to the guests' taste. Frequently there are fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, okra, onions and eggs. The guests are made to feel at home, and are encouraged to sample everything offered. If the guests do not try every course and feel uncomfortably full by the end of the meal, most hosts feel they have failed.

The sharing of food is the heart of relationships among Muslim people. It may not always mean a full course meal in all countries. In Turkey, for example, families usually get together for tea and desserts rather than a meal. In Yemen, the women often gather together for prolonged tea drinking parties. In any Arab country it is common for people to share strong coffee flavored with cardamom and sugar. This is often served in small colorful cups. If not coffee, the host may give his guests cola or lemon-lime soda.

The sharing of food among Muslims is a very important feature of their social life. This forms an important link in the bonds that give the society its coherence and distinctive character. It is especially important during the holy month of Ramadan when Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. At the breaking of the fast Muslims often meet at the mosques where they share food. Many mosques in the U.S. and other parts of the world extend open invitation to non-Muslims to join their Muslim neighbors to experience the warmth of Muslim hospitality and cultural diversity.

If there is one thing that can be the "bridge" between Muslims and Christians that could open a door to bringing the knowledge of the living God and salvation to them, it could be hospitality. Christians participating with Muslims during Ramadan is a wonderful opportunity to develop friendship with them. This can lead to better understanding between Christians and Muslims. It allows for a time when they can ask each other questions about their faith.

What Does the Bible Say About Hospitality?Throughout the Bible the sharing of food together is often mentioned as a token of friendship and commitment. This entire "code" of hospitality in the Middle East was so strong that it is expressed in a biblical warning, "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it." (Heb. 13:2, NASB).

There is to be a final Great Banquet in Heaven, and it will be one in which God gathers all His people. There will be representatives from every people group on the earth, "from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing before the Throne and before the Lamb" (Rev. 7:9a) clothed in white robes, crying out in a loud voice, 'Salvation to our God who sits on the throne.'"

:wasalam:

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) asked one of his Companions (may Allah be pleased with them all).. Who will invite my guest?.. One of the companions said ''I will O' messenger Allah''.

The man took the guest to his house, and asked his wife to prapare something for the guest. She replied ''we only have enough food for the children''. He said ''dont worry about the children, put them to sleep''.

They prepared the meal for the guest in a dark room. The guest started to eat, and the companion was pretending that he was eating with him, since the food was only enough for one person, and thats the guest of Prophet Mohammed (pbuh)...

Hospitality, and giving presents to one another is really important to reach the hearts of others. Evidently, Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) said '' tahadu tahabu''..

dawahforever

ASalaamu Alaikum

So converts do things the opposite to immigrants...you invite someone into your home first (very uncomfortable and intimate right away vs getting to know someone slowly outside of the home) and then do things outside of the home. Well I had a long talk with my husband about this and he said maybe that's the Pakistani and Arab way but that Malays don't do that. He said that friends usually go out and just do things together like go to the mall and the people who drop by all the time or for meals are the relatives. He said friends only come over when they are invited for special occasions like iftar or group prayers for someone. So between the two of us it wouldn't have occurred to us to start inviting people over for supper when we just met them. For us I guess that would be very odd. Also sometimes when we do invite people they decline or don't show up or they come and never invite us back. I guess I always feel like I'm sticking out my neck too much and then it seems not enough! Being a muslim is like living in a foreign country where you don't know the culture! Like I invited a group of women to my house and they have never invited me to their house not even one of them. I tell you I am perplexed. Well if anyone is willing to meet me half way, I'm here, lol. Can't give up right?

WA Salaamu Alaikum
D4E

sweetieshae

Salam everyone!

I recently reverted around two months ago, and this website was very helpful. However, I never made a most on any of the forums until I saw the topic of this forum and then I immeadiately became a member just so that I could post! I have to agree with what everyone has said in regard to lonlieness. Since my conversion and attending the masjid, it has been some of the loneliest times of my life! The masjid that I attend is a really great masjid in that during Ramadan, they offer iftar every night at the masjid, but on the first day that I went for iftar I never wanted to go again because I made the mistake of sitting with a cultural clique. It was a group of Arab women, who did not even greet me with salam! After this, I did return for iftar and sat with some college students from the college that I attend, even with them, it was like a paskistani party, they were really friendly but they didnt understand that I was not familiar with there culture. In short it is very very lonely and once the excitement of taking shahada has worn off, most people forget all about you. I went home for Eid, and my family is Christian. So I was unable to attend Eid prayers at the masjid, nor did anyone from the masjid that I attend at my school call and wish me Eid Mubarak, its very sad but lonelieness is a common thing in the life of a convert, and sadly the only peope who tend to understand, or reach out, or even just check in on us, are the converts...Inshallah Allah (swt) will make it easier on us! It is a very dangerous thing this loneliness, sometimes it makes you wonder if you did the right thing, by leaving the people,faith, and surroundings, that loved and cherished you, for a group of people who are watching to see if you will make a mistake in your salat....Thankfully it isnt for anyone but for the sake Allah, and my dua is that Allah will make it easy on us. I pray that with such intense conviction. Because it is so lonely, and at times it leads a person to tears. I remember during Tarawea when we finished the Quran everyone was crying, but my tears were for a different reason, I was crying for my family who doesnt know Islam, and I was crying that Allah would never make me lonely enough to ever leave Islam! Inshallah Allah (swt) will forgive us all for our shortcomings. Sorry for the rambiling! Alhumdulilah this website is awesome!

Salam

dawahforever

Salam everyone!

I recently reverted around two months ago, and this website was very helpful. However, I never made a most on any of the forums until I saw the topic of this forum and then I immeadiately became a member just so that I could post! I have to agree with what everyone has said in regard to lonlieness. Since my conversion and attending the masjid, it has been some of the loneliest times of my life! The masjid that I attend is a really great masjid in that during Ramadan, they offer iftar every night at the masjid, but on the first day that I went for iftar I never wanted to go again because I made the mistake of sitting with a cultural clique. It was a group of Arab women, who did not even greet me with salam! After this, I did return for iftar and sat with some college students from the college that I attend, even with them, it was like a paskistani party, they were really friendly but they didnt understand that I was not familiar with there culture. In short it is very very lonely and once the excitement of taking shahada has worn off, most people forget all about you. I went home for Eid, and my family is Christian. So I was unable to attend Eid prayers at the masjid, nor did anyone from the masjid that I attend at my school call and wish me Eid Mubarak, its very sad but lonelieness is a common thing in the life of a convert, and sadly the only peope who tend to understand, or reach out, or even just check in on us, are the converts...Inshallah Allah (swt) will make it easier on us! It is a very dangerous thing this loneliness, sometimes it makes you wonder if you did the right thing, by leaving the people,faith, and surroundings, that loved and cherished you, for a group of people who are watching to see if you will make a mistake in your salat....Thankfully it isnt for anyone but for the sake Allah, and my dua is that Allah will make it easy on us. I pray that with such intense conviction. Because it is so lonely, and at times it leads a person to tears. I remember during Tarawea when we finished the Quran everyone was crying, but my tears were for a different reason, I was crying for my family who doesnt know Islam, and I was crying that Allah would never make me lonely enough to ever leave Islam! Inshallah Allah (swt) will forgive us all for our shortcomings. Sorry for the rambiling! Alhumdulilah this website is awesome!

Salam

Asalaamu Alaikum

Oh I'm so glad that you joined because of my post..looks like I opened up a pandora's box. But I'm so glad I did because I feel like we are really talking and reaching out to each other. You know all these years I've been pretty lonely but sometimes there have been people but they are so few and far apart that you become quite dejected. Truly its a test for us and Allah promised He would test us because we can' t just say we believe and that's it. I've only held on so long for the sake of Allah..He is my best friend. I've seen people come and go and couldn't prevent them and its painful but you can't interfere with their test..just try your best. When I first converted I found it not that hard because I met some other converts and we used to stick together but slowly they moved away and others left Islam and then you find yourself alone and not knowing where to turn. And muslims move a lot! They move around a lot for jobs..its not our fault right but it makes things tough when you think you've found someone and the next minute they are moving to the middle east (man has anyone noticed how many people are moving to the middle east lately???)

I know how you feel about the crying thing. For example at funerals I cry so hard thinking that family will probably die as non-muslims instead of like the funeral that I'm at where the deceased is muslim. Its not funny to think that you will spend eternity without your family. I really understand what you are feeling.

Maybe if you tell where you are located someone here can meet up with you insha Allah. Don't give up...here I am after 16 yrs..lonely but still hanging on..hopefully you will make some friends but just think of me ..if I can do it so can you insha Allah. At least we are all talking about it..that's the first step right?

Wa SAlaamu Alaikum
D4E:hijabi: Mabruk for your reversion.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salam everyone!

Salam

:salam2: sister,

MashAllah....

ehsan

:salam2

I love making new muslim friends. Does any of the revert brothers live in sydney..if yes, then please let me know as i would really really like to hang around with u guyz.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom brother and sisters,

First of all, Allah with you all but you are not by your self lonely, a lot of immigrants in west are lonely too, no one care about them specially the students. I read most of the replies on this thread, some of them I agree with some I dont.

To call some people "Munafiq" is wrong, no one have the right to call some one else as Munafiq, have any oen been in the person heart to say that its wrong to even use this word.

Allah's Apostle (Sal-allahu-aleihi-wassallam) said, "If a man says to his brother, 'O Kafir (disbeliever)!' Then surely one of them is such (i.e., a Kafir)." [Vol 8:#125.1]

Yes may its wrong from the side of Muslim to leave the new Muslim alone and its a big mistake, but you have to surround your self with people who come to mosque and know the religion it takes time for the people to get use to each other. In my community hamdu illah there is a group of sisters doing really good job with new Muslim women they have lectures, fun time, etc with each other every sunday, there is women or girls Scotting group, mash Allah.

For those who says they feeling lonely may Allah be with you and make it easy on you believe me you are not alone, what other immigrants are going through is not easy either on them, so dont feel that you are the only one in this problem, but look @ it this way dont you wish to be from those who the prophet peace be up on him said about them

Islam started as something strange, and it would go back to being strange, so good tidings for the strangers." (Muslim) and in another narration, "So give glad tidings to the strangers, those who put right what the people have corrupted of my Sunnah." (Tirmidhi)

Dont you wish to be among them ?

Its a mistake from Muslims because they didnt learn islam as it should be, we as Muslim forget the Hadith of the prophet peace be up on him

Allah's Apostle said, "A Muslim is a brother of another Muslim, so he should not oppress him, nor should he hand him over to an oppressor. Whoever fulfilled the needs of his brother, Allah will fulfill his needs; whoever brought his (Muslim) brother out of a discomfort, Allah will bring him out of the discomforts of the Day of Resurrection, and whoever screened a Muslim, Allah will screen him on the Day of Resurrection." [Vol 3: #622]

The Prophet Muhammad said: 'The parable of the Believers in their mutual love and mercy is like that of a (living) body; if one part feels pain, the whole body suffers in sleeplessness and fever.' (Muslim)

Its just take time for people to get use to each other specially between brothers, I dont have any problems in dealing with people when they become Muslim I just feel I dont need to intrude in to thier live, its an effort should from both side not only one side.

dont be sad, because shaytan is trying to get in your heart and make u feel sad and lonely, remeber the prophet peace be up on him started by him self alone this religion, it was matter of time till he have whole nation with him..

Wa Allah knows best, wa salaam alikom

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2

I love making new muslim friends. Does any of the revert brothers live in sydney..if yes, then please let me know as i would really really like to hang around with u guyz.

:salam2: bro,

Great, this what i want to see. Bros coming out an offering help.
Im from Singapore, which is not that far from Australia....:hearts:

Salam everyone!

Salam

Sister, intro yourself in the sister section/ private section. Tell your location . Hopefully some sisters living nearby can become meet you up . that sort of thing

ehsan

thnx for the compliments bro :)

anyways my contact number is *removed* (sydney) ...would b glad to chat with u guyz.

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

Wow lonliness seems contagious nowadays...I have my days of being lonely, but I choose to be lonely..weird eh?

Indeed it is sad that reverts are stuck in a limbo of where to cross the boundries with Muslims who grew up Muslim. I have come to realize though with many talks with Muslims that they are just as shy as we are. There was a big split in our masjid recently where the reverts felt left out. I don't know if culture is to blame or not but most of the reverts at our masjid are extremely intimidated by the Arab ladies. Alhamdullilah we all just had a big powwow and worked it out. Insha Allah everyone can work out their differences. It sometimes takes persistance with says Salaamz to every group and sitting down with them. The persistance pays off. Patience is definitely the key.It took 1.5 years just for the ladies to get to know my name lol. I am no longer who is that white girl lol.

I know it is difficult but it was my choice to revert to Islam, so I am not gonna be scared away by my paranoia of the Muslim ladies against me :D Us reverts are like newborn babies..we don't know what to do, but like any newborn baby we learn through trial and error.

Okies enough of my blabbing. I am sorry for all your lonliness and sorrow..If I could carry that weight of sadness and what not on my shoulders, I would.
I try to remember though that you can only rely on Allah and yourself in the end.

mutaqoon

Salam everyone!

Salam

Wa alaykum assalam.

First of all, I am glad you are a muslim alhamdulillah. Secondly I am sorry for what you have gone through. But trust me, its not only new muslims who go through such a phase. Any muslim who is new to a place tends to go through a similar phase. I remember back in those days, there was only one family from my native place. So every eid was as lonely as it could get. Alhamdulillah that family used to be very friendly. But then if you have grown up seeing so many muslims every eid, and then all of a sudden you are in a place where you could see hundreds of people of all possible colors during eid prayer and only one friend after eid, it doesnt go in well. I moved to a different place and things are far better now alhamdulillah. So my point is, both reverts and born muslims go through such a phase.

As to your other point of arabs and pakistanis talking to themselves during iftar, that is probably something I would complain too. I hate to admit that I do that too. Its just that you see all those people who speak the same language as you do in one place after so long that you would want to discuss and talk forever. I have tried translating for my new muslim friends while the conversation is going on with others, but then at some point, things get too fast. My new muslim friend has the knack of jumping in and saying something that wouldnt make sense whatsoever. But that would actually stop the conversation and make people realize that here is someone who doesnt speak our language. So now everyone makes an attempt to translate it!!! That seems to work well actually!

Well as far as Eid is concerned, things get really really busy. That is when you invite different families and meet all those families that you would hardly otherwise see. So people might have missed you. I myself was so damn busy that day, that I had to call my closest friends and wish them the next day!

The other point, at least with women is that, most of them are first generation in USA. They were from some other country and moved to USA after their marriage. So they would have never had experience mixing with people of different colors. And add to that the cultural aspect, you might see some really weird things!

Having said all this, I feel for the new muslims. Its not as easy as born muslims. But things get hard for new muslims as much as they want to make it. I would say, the best thing is to find other new muslims in the community and form a network amongst yourself. Its much easier for new muslims to get together, because you share the same experience and you would have much to talk about and learn amongst yourself. Sometimes I personally find it hard to pick up some topic and talk to a new muslim. I wouldnt want to get into a purely islamic discussion as that might put them in a tight spot. And I wouldnt want to be too casual as well as I would end up hearing about what haram things the new muslim brother did before the shahada!

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
After reading about the lonly lives of so many revert brothers and sisters on this thread, it is undoubtedly clear that LONLINESS is a MAJOR problem that new muslims suffer from.

All born muslims should remember this and make an extra effort to reach out whole-heartedly to new muslims.

I am optimistic though, that due to increasing number of people (mainly in the west) reverting to islam, the lonliness of a revert will be a thing of the past soon, inshallah swt.

Wassalam
Your brother Hafiz

Note: Volunteer to meet and greet new muslim brothers in and around Manchetsr, UK.

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Salam brothers & sisters,

This is a bit long but I believe it makes an interesting read taken from the the web link

http://writerinislam.blogspot.com/2005/11/reverts-to-islam-lonely-in-crowd.html

Reverts to Islam: Lonely in a Crowd

-Amatullah Abdullah

When we hear that someone has entered Islam, we often ask .How did you accept Islam? . We also say Al hamdulilah (All praises are due to Allah alone) when someone says they have reverted to Islam, Right? These remarks show that we are heartened to see someone accepting the Truth!

Life is not easy for any believer. Life is a test!, a Jihad (struggle), for every believer whether you are a "born" Muslims or reverts to Islam.

As for reverts to Islam they undergo a great struggle. The moment they declare their faith (Islam), most of them lose their loved and dear ones. Their old friends refuse to accept their new lifestyle and new faith. Some of them tend to lose their family who are unable to digest the fact that they have embraced Islam. Whenever I hear a revert saying, "I love my parents so much… my family showered and lavished me with affection until I embraced Islam. My family’s attitude towards me is causing me much pain that sometimes I even think of leaving Islam, then Allah would shower His mercy on me that I would be reminded that this is a test and this World is just a temporary abode... and I would say 'I should not fail this test and Allah, The Most Merciful will shower His mercy and blessing on me and my family...'" The pain which, reverts to Islam undergo is something which cannot be felt unless we are in their shoes.

During this time it our duty as brothers and sisters in Islam to lush them with friendship, brotherhood, love, kindness, affection, etc. To the contrary we find some of our brothers and sisters in Islam (who are born into a Muslim family) cause our new brothers and sisters much ache in their heart, by being prejudiced, intolerant and proud.

I intended to write this essay after hearing about the treatment of our revert brothers and sisters in Islam by some of the "born" Muslims. I feel outraged to the core when I hear the spiteful attitude of these Muslims towards reverts to Islam. The new Muslims feel disheartened when they face this kind of behaviour.

I wonder how someone can neglect the brothers or sisters who reverted and consider them inferior.

Prophet [Salla Allaahu .alaihi wa sallam (May Allah peace and blessing be upon him)]
observed: Are you not aware of the fact that Islam wipes out all the previous (misdeeds)? Verily migration wipes out all the previous (misdeeds), and verily the pilgrimage wipes out all the (previous) misdeeds. [Collected by Muslim: Book 001, Number 0220]

I have heard and seen so many Muslims who are born into a Muslim family and raised as a Muslim collecting revert stories. When asked, "Why are you collecting these stories?" They would either reply, "We are curious to know how they found the truth and got the guidance?" and I have heard them saying, "Their reversion stories are truly inspirational and it helps us to boost our Iman (faith)..." The stories of reverts are published in Islamic magazines, Islamic newspapers, Islamic websites and sometimes a book is made out of these stories.

Why?
Because we know these brothers and sisters were not raised in a Muslim family and many would not have had met many Muslims before they reverted, yet they were still able to find the Truth and Guidance. This stirs curiosity in the minds of a raised Muslim or anyone, be it Muslim or non- Muslim, who is immersed and attracted to the "striking" lifestyle of the West. The influence of the west is so great on these Muslim that they tend to lose Islam. People become curious to know the reason why a person from the a non Islamic world, who was living in this "attractive" life of "freedom", suddenly is ready to forgo all his/her liberty and enter a religion which is considered to be irrational, extreme and oppressive. Thus, these revert stories (which are true life stories) act as a food to feed the curious mind.

---

Nobody is infallible except Allah (swt) and everybody would have committed some sins or the other knowingly or unknowingly in their lifetime. When Allah is ready to forgive, who are we judge anyone??

Mariam* 27 from Germany said, “ Seriously, I don't want to go to the Masjid. I find some Muslims are so intolerant towards us (reverts)..." She added, “I find them to be mean and spiteful. They are being so judgmental for the errors which I committed before I completely entered Islam...”

A renowned scholar, Sheikh Muhammad al-Jibaly said, “It is only to Allah to give final judgment in regard to any person. Anyone who takes it upon himself to do so would be overstepping his human boundaries, and may deserve Allah's punishment.”

The Prophet (saws) told that once a self-righteous man saw a sinner, he said: "By Allah, Allah will never forgive him. Allah then said, "Who are you who should dictate to Me what to do? Indeed, I have forgiven so-and so (the sinner), and demolished your deeds. "[Sahih Muslim no. 2621]

He (sheikh) further added: Righteous people are told to be merciful towards those who committed mistakes, even if their mistakes harmed them personally. During the fitnah of accusing ‘Aaishah (ra) with zinaa, one of those who transmitted the falsehood was a poor relative of Abu Bakr (ra) that Abu Bakr used to give sadaqah. When Allah declared ‘Aishah's (ra) innocence in His Book, Abu Bakr made an oath that he will never give any more help to that relative. He showed us a daleel (proof) from the Qur’an:

"Let not those of you with virtue and wealth swear not to give aid to the relatives, the needy, and the emigrants for Allah’s cause. Rather, let them pardon and overlook. Would you not like that Allah should forgive you? And Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.." [Soorat an-Noor 22]

As a Muslim, I love all my brothers and sister for the sake of Allah and it causes great pain to hear our brothers and sisters describing their experience as a Muslim after their reversion. Many reverts feel excluded and hurt by this kind of treatment.

One sister said, “I just don't feel lonely but excluded, when I am among Muslims. I would be sitting for hours listening to relatives talk in Urdu. They know I don't understand but still they continue to do that.”

I remember showing a sister an essay. It was an essay for the youth, which tells us that Allah is the Wali (Protector and Friend) to the believers. This essay was actually meant for the youth but this sister (revert) who is in her late thirties told me that this essay made her feel good Alhamdulilah! Why? Because she felt so lonely and barred after reverting and this essay made her realize that she should not accept anyone to be her friend and she is heartened to know that Allah is her Friend.

A brother who had accepted Islam few years’ back said, "I faced a lot of racism in Islam..." I wondered why he said that and then realized he said that because unfortunately the Muslims treated him that way. Then it was explained to him, "One cannot judge Islam based on Muslim's attitude. Because it looks like Muslims haven't submitted completely to the faith. We pick and choose what is convenient for us to follow and leave which is not convenient for us and our culture."

When Sr. Fathima* 42 from the USA was asked to describe the experience of her first
Ramadan, she said, "My first Ramadan was one of my most spiritual.... and was completed in the near total absence of Muslims. I hate to tell the story because I fear it sounds like bragging for having overcome some hardships, but I think it’s a sad commentary on where our community stands that the most spiritual Ramadan I had was done pretty much alone."

Sr. Lamina*, 26 from Chennai, a strong and bold new Muslimah says, "It is really sad to note that some Muslims are behaving like creeps. I started acquiring Islamic knowledge from the time I declared my faith. I witness so many unislamic cultural acts carried on by Muslim in the name of Islam. They tell me what I am doing is wrong and they know better because they are born Muslims. Just because I am new Muslim I have no right to voice the evils happening in the society in the name of Islam? She further ad," Didn’t the prophet say that everybody is born in state of fitrah (natural) and everybody are Muslims when they are born and it is only the way they are raised which makes him a person of another faith? ...Doesn't Islam insist on humility? "

Do these Muslims (who calls themselves born Muslims) know that almost all the Sahabah were reverts? Are they better than the Sahabah (reverts) in understanding and interpreting Islam (Qu’ran and Sunnah)? It is such a pitiful situation that some of these "born" Muslims are corrupting Islam with their shameful and horrible attitude, which has no place in Islam.

This kind of behaviour made many Muslims say "Alhamdulilah! We found Islam before we met any Muslim."

But I would say it is heartening to see there are still many brothers and sisters in Islam who are conscious of Allah. They are like a source of warmth and haven for our new brothers and sister in Islam. They are ready to shower them with love, kindness, encouragement and brotherhood!

Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and harmony but we see that this is lacking among us. It's so unfortunate that many reverts to Islam tend to leave Islam! Maybe if the community was more welcoming and supportive reverts to Islam would find it easier to stay on the straight path (Islam). These ugly stances by ignorant Muslims should be rejected and amended. Let us be conscious of behaviour towards anyone be it new Muslim, non-Muslim, children or servant. We will meet our Lord soon and let us strive to amend our ways before we meet our Lord.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
SALAM aleikum
well Im revert too and i suffer from the same problem as many of us do.But I dont want to blame anybody coz of that.Im lonely coz of my family doesnt accept me the way i am ,otherwise towards the comunity I think its imortant for us to make the first step and not to wait for others to come and talk ....

remeber the prophet peace be up on him started by him self alone this religion, it was matter of time till he have whole nation with him..

This is very true .
Lets remember that and do our best to spread Islam and to talk to people instead of complaining and feeling alone .

I know its very sad being alone and being rejected many times ,I been thru it also,but we have a gift that Allah SWT has given to everyone of us ,is being a Muslim ...And think if u are really alone coz of people or if u just choose to be like this ....We have to look at outselves first...

waaleikum salam

dawahforever

Asalaamu Alaikum

I dont' think there is any convert who wants to be alone or who hasn't tried a million times to be friends with the immigrants. Why do we have to look at ourselves? Do we switch to other languages when we see different muslims ? NO. Do we not invite people because they are not from our country? NO Do we get invitations and then not show up? NO Do we take people's phone number and then never call? NO Do we only sit with people from our country? NO If there was something wrong with converts then why were we so popular and having so many friends and happy times when we were not muslim? Obviously there is nothing wrong with our social skills!

Wa Salaamu Alaikum
D4E

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
Asalaamu Alaikum

I dont' think there is any convert who wants to be alone or who hasn't tried a million times to be friends with the immigrants. Why do we have to look at ourselves? Do we switch to other languages when we see different muslims ? NO. Do we not invite people because they are not from our country? NO Do we get invitations and then not show up? NO Do we take people's phone number and then never call? NO Do we only sit with people from our country? NO If there was something wrong with converts then why were we so popular and having so many friends and happy times when we were not muslim? Obviously there is nothing wrong with our social skills!

Wa Salaamu Alaikum
D4E

Maybe we need a social skills class on TTI :D lol.

I just don't know what to say because there are a ton of reverts who feel the same way as you and I have seen many reverts leave the masjid and the community and unfortunately Islam because of the cultural baggage that comes with the masjid.
It is just how does one speak up when you obviously see something as cultural but do not want to sound mean? Sometimes I feel weak in certain areas of Islam but when I do find something that irks me I will speak up.

All I can say is be yourself :) People at my masjid tried to mold me into what they wanted but I put my foot down. I am now happier with being who I am and if they don't like it then they are the ones with the issues and I am not going to lose sleep on it because there are bigger issues in this world than if my shirt is too tight or not :)

dawahforever

Maybe we need a social skills class on TTI :D lol.

I just don't know what to say because there are a ton of reverts who feel the same way as you and I have seen many reverts leave the masjid and the community and unfortunately Islam because of the cultural baggage that comes with the masjid.
It is just how does one speak up when you obviously see something as cultural but do not want to sound mean? Sometimes I feel weak in certain areas of Islam but when I do find something that irks me I will speak up.

All I can say is be yourself :) People at my masjid tried to mold me into what they wanted but I put my foot down. I am now happier with being who I am and if they don't like it then they are the ones with the issues and I am not going to lose sleep on it because there are bigger issues in this world than if my shirt is too tight or not :)

ASalaamu Alaikum

Have you read the book "Believing As OUrselves" ? It addresses this issue.

Wa Salaamu Alaikum
D4E:hijabi:

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Asalaamu Alaikum

Wa Salaamu Alaikum
D4E

salam aleikum

NO If there was something wrong with converts then why were we so popular and having so many friends and happy times when we were not muslim? Obviously there is nothing wrong with our social skills!

well may be because before u became a convert u didnt try to communictae with muslims or ppl from other countries..
may be People around u were different ppl ?

happy times when we were not muslim?

Im more happy after becoming a muslim then ever ,even If Im alone ....And I dont want to be popular anymore

waaleikum salam