Random topic

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
:salam2:

If you're Somali, have you noticed this? I've seen this written, people saying it, using it, and often! and it's soooooooo annoying. What am I talking about? the word 'Somalis', or 'Somalians.' Even some Somali people mis-pronounce it these days and will say "I'm Somalian."

call me weird but everytime i hear someone say that, I just want to correct them and say, SOMALI! that's it. No "S" and no "IAN" please!

kayleigh

It also annoys me when people say afghani instead of afghan. afghan are the people, afghani is money.

ameday

Somali is for singular and Somalis for plural

Yes it's anoying specially when a individual who is from Somalia trying to identify as one of their own as Somalia or Somalian. to Identify a brother/sister from Somalia the country you will need to call that person Somali and when there are more than one perosn you can call them Somalis.

Um Ibrahim

Yes it's anoying specially when a individual who is from Somalia trying to identify as one of their own as Somalia or Somalian. to Identify a brother/sister from Somalia the country you will need to call that person Somali and when there are more than one perosn you can call them Somalis.

'Somalis' doesn't exist in the somali language. For both plural and singular it's still Somali only. Not "somalis" lol

Abu Talib

Feeling low

If you're Somali, have you noticed this? I've seen this written, people saying it, using it, and often! and it's soooooooo annoying. What am I talking about? the word 'Somalis', or 'Somalians.' Even some Somali people mis-pronounce it these days and will say "I'm Somalian."

call me weird but everytime i hear someone say that, I just want to correct them and say, SOMALI! that's it. No "S" and no "IAN" please!

Sorry to say but what relevance does this has to do in a islamic forum??

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
jazakallah kahira for informing ukhti..........i got a "somali"friend.cud be she gets annoyed when i say you somalians crazy:pbut may be she doesn't mentions coz of being friends with me.....guess i know i need to say somali crazy girl:D:D:D...jazakallah kahira ukhti,really good thing to know coz she is kinda sensitive about her colour and creed:)

gah!! brother abu talib:(:(:(

:wasalam:

zahrany

MAY~u~B~HPPI~!4EVER!
well I am somali lol but i do use mostly "somalis" or somalian
i cant help it really... it feels weird saying am somali i guess i didn't get use to it
but inshaAllah i'll try :D
wasalamu alaikum

Abu Talib

Feeling low
I think he's got the message now! :p :lol:

Akhi

I am not a nationalist or patriotic I am not bothered what people call you or me as long as we are just ''MUSLIM".

I didn't reply you back because it would start in argument or a racial slur whatever since the topic is non Islamic.

If your happy about it then I would really be happy because I made you happy.

Amir_of_spain

Such questions/topics are completely pointless, time wasting and energy draining, and is contributing factor to the decline of muslim society, please lets use our minds on real issues and solve real serious problems.

Amir

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Asalamalikum

see bro ibnahmed:lol:told you bro may get offended:(
bro abu talib sorry really i was gahing just like that,the sis really was kind of annoyed with the way her nation was addressed:)
i was just kidding:)won't happen again inshallah:)
and yes you and brother amir are right musims are a big nation with big prblems....and that is all that should matter to us:)and how to cope with our real issues rather then the......well won't say unimprtant coz to some like my sis here these are important too:).....but less important issues:)
jazakallah kahria
:wasalam:

katieanneb

Assalemu alaikom,

Well, I don't know about you, but I think we should accept this post for what it is.....a simple remark made quite clearly about the way languages are affected by translation. I don't see it as a big issue and I don't understand why some people seemed annoyed by it. We British get called English all the time even though some of us are Irish, Scottish or Welsh.....so what?

I'm happy to belong to the family of Islam...and I agree the situation in Somalia is heart-breaking.....my heart goes out to them. May Allah guide us as Muslims to live in peace with each other. What hope is there for us if we get annoyed about names...I ask you!!!Let's think about more important things, like how to help our fellow Muslims in times of need.

And language, especially English, is fluid and ever-changing, so innovations, such as "Somalian" are likely to creep in to everyday use.....I'm sure those who use it don't mean any offence...... keep an open mind everyone....there are more pressing issues at hand!!!!

Hope I haven't offended anyone.....lol.

Um Ibrahim

Such questions/topics are completely pointless, time wasting and energy draining, and is contributing factor to the decline of muslim society, please lets use our minds on real issues and solve real serious problems.

Amir

"Is contribuiting factor to the decline of muslim society"

SubhanaAllah! I'm sorry you and some of the others feel so strongly about this topic. If it's so pointless you really didn't need to waste your precious time reading and commenting. It does say it's just a random topic. Certaintly not every single topic on this website is so important and benefits the "Muslim society." And to YOU it may be pointless, but it's not to me.

Um Ibrahim

Assalemu alaikom,

Well, I don't know about you, but I think we should accept this post for what it is.....a simple remark made quite clearly about the way languages are affected by translation. I don't see it as a big issue and I don't understand why some people seemed annoyed by it. We British get called English all the time even though some of us are Irish, Scottish or Welsh.....so what?

I'm happy to belong to the family of Islam...and I agree the situation in Somalia is heart-breaking.....my heart goes out to them. May Allah guide us as Muslims to live in peace with each other. What hope is there for us if we get annoyed about names...I ask you!!!Let's think about more important things, like how to help our fellow Muslims in times of need.

And language, especially English, is fluid and ever-changing, so innovations, such as "Somalian" are likely to creep in to everyday use.....I'm sure those who use it don't mean any offence...... keep an open mind everyone....there are more pressing issues at hand!!!!

Hope I haven't offended anyone.....lol.

Thank you for accepting my post for what it is, a simple thought or opinion of mine! And no i'm certaintly not offended.